Training on the Schweizer 300 & the Cabri

Lol. Crazy bastards.. I really appreciate all of your viewpoints but I take them with a grain of salt. EVERYONE has and will always have different experiences. I don't think I'll mess with the Cabri. Most likely going to go with Front Range Helicopters. Mainly train on the 300 but I'll also get time in a turbine and the 44. If need be, I'll also add some time in the 22, but I network like a mofo so I've been very blessed to have already met some amazing people who love hiring rotors who truly love flying. I think a lot of whether you land a job or not is who you are and whether people like you. Or word of mouth somehow gets to people that you're a damn good pilot.

• Like 1

:rolleyes:

I can tell you right now why you never worked a day in this industry. You are ignorant.

How many times do I have to say get qualified in a R22 and R44 before you acknowledge it ?

You are probably still whining about momma breaking you off the teat.

Just because you didn't have the forethought to actually meet people in this industry and develop job leads before you plopped down the money for your ratings doesn't mean someone else didn't - but that just luck in your book. Only reason I stopped at Comm was because I was offered a job. I was offered the job specifically because I had Bell 47 experience. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

When you grow up maybe you will quit playing the poor victim and take control of your life.

And, once again, I can’t emphasize the significance of working as a CFI. To wit, recently, while having a casual conversation with a potential future employer, he asked; “do you have your CFI and have you taught before?” and, this is after 23 years in the business…… In my opinion, it’s just as important today as it was on my first day as a working pilot…….

Lol. Crazy bastards.. I really appreciate all of your viewpoints but I take them with a grain of salt. EVERYONE has and will always have different experiences. I don't think I'll mess with the Cabri. Most likely going to go with Front Range Helicopters. Mainly train on the 300 but I'll also get time in a turbine and the 44. If need be, I'll also add some time in the 22, but I network like a mofo so I've been very blessed to have already met some amazing people who love hiring rotors who truly love flying. I think a lot of whether you land a job or not is who you are and whether people like you. Or word of mouth somehow gets to people that you're a damn good pilot.

You would be correct in that reputation can play a factor. The biggest issue for most people who don't have any connection is that reputation does not reduce insurance rates. Still, the biggest key to all of this is getting your time. How you do it can take many routes. But what Spike says is pretty solid regarding the CFI. I don't even instruct, but my position required a CFI in airplanes and helicopters.

The idea of being a "damn good pilot"... Ehhhhh.... thats pretty relative. After enough time most pilots are pretty decent. "Damn good" I would say is reserved for a select few. I would say after a few thousand hours Im still in the "I competently perform the job Im hired to do" category.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 2

Success, is often called luck, which is being in the right place with the right skills at the right time. That's a lot of prep.

Was I hiring, I'd take a safe, workman-like attitude over mad stick skilz anyday.

• Like 1

Meh, not everyone is cut out to be a teacher number one, number two not everyone has the same career aspirations.

For the record, never said not to get it or that it wasn't important - just relaying my first hand experience that there is probably more opportunity out there then people think there is. Don't read more into this than what was said.

Also for the record, I did go on to get my AGI and when I get back from the sandbox this summer I will have the money to finally do my CFI-I.

Shoot I still know some guys working in the GoM that still don't have an IFR rating. That would be unheard of these days.

While I too don’t want you to misinterpret what I say, I’ll ask; what do you think the ratio is for commercial pilots who went the CFI route compared to those who went the “nontraditional” route? I’d say it’s a significant differential ratio….

Moreover, I come here to attempt to "play it forward". That is, to “give back” simply because the people within the helicopter industry have allowed me to make a pretty good living flying helicopters for many years. For some, defined as; living the helicopter dream….. You?

IMHO, becoming a CFII is not only the quickest way to become employed, but the best way for professional development. If anyone who hasn’t been a CFI can’t appreciate that statement. Plus, I don’t know any pilot who was a CFI that wasn’t grateful for the experience…. Again, you?

Additionally, I completely understand you aren’t saying it’s not important. And obviously, by the fact you are attempting to gain the CFII certification. However, you’ll have to agree, at this point, if you never had the responsibility of teaching someone to fly a helicopter within the confines of the FAA regulations, then you’re speaking from opinion….. Not experience………

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

While I too don’t want you to misinterpret what I say, I’ll ask; what do you think the ratio is for commercial pilots who went the CFI route compared to those who went the “nontraditional” route? I’d say it’s a significant differential ratio….

Do you have verifiable statistical facts to establish the credibility of your statement ? I only gave my first hand testimony, which is one person who personally knows five people who didn't instruct. Of those five people two of them know a few people that also never instructed. As I said, I believe there is more opportunity out there than people think there is to not work as a CFI. Plenty of ag operators and utility operators that will hire you to work ground and bring you up from within. That said, I agree the new traditional way to compete for a job in this business is to get your CFI-I and work as a CFI.

Moreover, I come here to attempt to "play it forward". That is, to “give back” simply because the people within the helicopter industry have allowed me to make a pretty good living flying helicopters for many years. For some, defined as; living the helicopter dream….. You?

Same.

IMHO, becoming a CFII is not only the quickest way to become employed, but the best way for professional development. If anyone who hasn’t been a CFI can’t appreciate that statement. Plus, I don’t know any pilot who was a CFI that wasn’t grateful for the experience…. Again, you?

I worked with a couple of tour pilots that absolutely hated teaching.

Additionally, I completely understand you aren’t saying it’s not important. And obviously, by the fact you are attempting to gain the CFII certification. However, you’ll have to agree, at this point, if you never had the responsibility of teaching someone to fly a helicopter within the confines of the FAA regulations, then you’re speaking from opinion….. Not experience………

Lot's of opinions floating around here.

For what its worth I've taught ground and have taught plenty of airmen how to do their job. You'd be surprised at the similarities between the the FAA syllabus and the AF CFETP.

I see that this is looking like other conversations with your unending need to be right because your opinion counts more than any one else's, at this point I will bow out.

PS - and with all the blade problems Robinsons have, I'm glad I know how to fly something else.

For what its worth I've taught ground and have taught plenty of airmen how to do their job. You'd be surprised at the similarities between the the FAA syllabus and the AF CFETP.

I see that this is looking like other conversations with your unending need to be right because your opinion counts more than any one else's, at this point I will bow out.

PS - and with all the blade problems Robinsons have, I'm glad I know how to fly something else.

Either way, why would I believe I need to be “right” or my “opinion” matters more than anyone else’s? I fly helicopters for a living and have done so for years. I DO NOT need to come here to prove anything, to anyone, or myself.. This is the internet and belief is up to reader….

I 100% agree with your assessment and appreciate you bowing out…….

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1