Herniated disc

yes it is but I don't know if it's waiver able for initial entry.

Did you have surgery for it?

No sir. I was having some lower back pain about a year ago and had an MRI done, which is when I got the diagnosis. Took some anti-inflammatories for a few weeks and the pain went away and never returned. Do I have to be asymptomatic for several years usually before a waiver is even considered?

No sir. I was having some lower back pain about a year ago and had an MRI done, which is when I got the diagnosis. Took some anti-inflammatories for a few weeks and the pain went away and never returned. Do I have to be asymptomatic for several years usually before a waiver is even considered?

I do not know, I urge you to use caution when discussing this with any flight docs at the ft Rucker. They seem to be disqualifying a lot of people for minor medical infractions.

keep I'm mind that many of the aircraft in the Army will only add to your current back problems.

I'd also suggest personally, not looking into flying until you are a systematic for a while.

I do not know, I urge you to use caution when discussing this with any flight docs at the ft Rucker. They seem to be disqualifying a lot of people for minor medical infractions.

keep I'm mind that many of the aircraft in the Army will only add to your current back problems.

I'd also suggest personally, not looking into flying until you are a systematic for a while.

Thanks. I'm a civilian, so I presume I would go to MEPS, get disqualified, and submit a waiver, before even doing anything at Ft. Rucker?

Try searching for AR 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness.

Just to get in the Army

2–29. Spine and sacroiliac joints

d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies does not meet the standard. Any

surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) does not meet the standard.

g. Current herniated nucleus pulposus (722) or history of surgery to correct this condition does not meet the

standard.

Chapter 4 covers Medical requirements for aviation duties.

4–25. Spine, scapula, ribs, and sacroiliac joints

a. History of chronic or recurrent disabling episodes of back pain, especially when associated with significant objective findings.

My personal belief is that it all depends on who you talk to. As you can see the statements above are vague and as with everything, it may be waiverable with a big emphasis on may. Your biggest effort should be on getting your back better. Once your back is good and healed up, see if you can even get in the Army, then if you can pass a flight physical. Like you stated before a MEPS doctor is going to make the determination on the Army and a Flight Doc will submit a waiver. Whether or not you get waivered is dependent on how you sell your doctor on your personal health and whether or not they personally feel you are medically fit to fly.

Thanks. I'm a civilian, so I presume I would go to MEPS, get disqualified, and submit a waiver, before even doing anything at Ft. Rucker?

I don't know how the process works if you have to submit a waiver to get into the Army. As far as your flight waiver goes. You will do a flight physical with a flight doctor, that doctor, pending any other deficiencies will submit a waiver to Ft Rucker for approval. I don't know how the process works beyond that point but, I believe your Medical waiver will need to be submitted prior to your packet being reviewed by a board.

Keep in mind that everyone will have to do a second flight physical upon completion of WOCS and prior to flying. You need to be very cautious when speaking with them. IF YOU HAVE ANY BACK PAIN IT MAY BE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION. Like I said previously, the flight doctors at Ft Rucker are on a war path and they have been grounding a lot of people for minor health issues.

I don't know how the process works if you have to submit a waiver to get into the Army. As far as your flight waiver goes. You will do a flight physical with a flight doctor, that doctor, pending any other deficiencies will submit a waiver to Ft Rucker for approval. I don't know how the process works beyond that point but, I believe your Medical waiver will need to be submitted prior to your packet being reviewed by a board.

Keep in mind that everyone will have to do a second flight physical upon completion of WOCS and prior to flying. You need to be very cautious when speaking with them. IF YOU HAVE ANY BACK PAIN IT MAY BE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION. Like I said previously, the flight doctors at Ft Rucker are on a war path and they have been grounding a lot of people for minor health issues.

Thanks for taking the time to provide all of this detailed information. According to the additional reading I've done, and what you've told me now, the first step is to get through MEPS. So I'm studying for the ASVAB and will keep taking care of my back so that when I go to MEPS, I don't have any problems. Then, I'll take it from there.

I am currently going through civilian flight training, and know how careful we must be when going to an FAA medical examiner. Is it the same attitude with these military medical exams? Don't disclose anything unless they ask?