Question about free GEFS flight simulator Helicopter flight dynamics and turn handling when compaired to a real helicopter

hello

I thought id ask this here as this would be the best place to provide an accurate answer

In the free to use web based flight simulator

http://www.gefs-online.com/gefs.php
( needs free google earth installed and runs fine from opra or firefox when brousers if you wanna give it a try ? )

there is a model of a huges 300 helicopter

that really hard to fly !!

I have a question about what happens when you want to turn the helicopter really fast from 40kts forward flight and get it flying in the oposite direction
using a 180 degree pirouette turn manouver

(sort of manourer you might see done by a helicopter display team)

This is what happen in the sim

From straight and level forward flight at 40kts say 100 ft agl

kick in some right rudder

helicopter starts to yaw to the right but then the nose starts to pitch up automatically requiring pushing cyclic forward and right abit

awell as the collective needs to be reduced abit ?? during this turn manouver

so as to keep the nose aimed at the ground thought out the turn at an angle of 45 degrees approximatly

then as soon as you reached 180 degrees turned

cyclic back to pull nose up and increase collective to go back into into forward flight again ( only this time in the oppsite direction )

what do you need to do in a real helicopter to achieve the same 180 pirouette degree manouver from 40kts forward flight??

if someone could decribe what needs to be done with the controls i would be greaftul as then i could compare to the sim

if the sims wrong i will not fly it any more as this could cause bad practice

thanks

really looking forward to a reply

Guest pokey

the pirrouette is a ballet maneauver, like in buzz's youtube, pretty much summed it up. Fun to demonstrate-especially in a strong crosswind and keeping on centerline of the runway. Keep eye out for fixed wing traffic tho !

it does help in coordinate skills too. Feet and hands & eye

The control inputs you are describing seem to be about right for what a real life helicopter would do, but this manuever isn't something that most helicopters would do in normal flight.

Usually we say that pedal turns (what you call rudder) are for hovering flight, around 10' above the ground max, and below ETL(about 20 knots). In all other phases of flight we use the pedals to stay in trim, and use the cyclic to make turns.

It's safer and takes less power if you keep your airspeed up in the turn as opposed to slowing to zero turning 180 degrees with the pedals and going the opposite direction.

I can't speak for the 300 but the robinsons I fly suggest 40 knots is the slowest you should fly unless really low (<10') or really high (>400').

If you want to learn more, or get a better understanding of what is happening you can get the "Helicopter Flying Handbook" free in PDF form from the FAA.

You should take an intro flight in a real helicopter, then you will be hooked. Most places charge about $200 for a 30 minute flight, and usually you get to take the controls.