what was this guys 1st mistake?

Guest pokey

Sounds like the engine was at operating RPMs, and if that's the case, he should have pulled the aircraft into the air and got off the ground at the onset of ground resonance.

I understand it happened in a heartbeat and maybe wasn't able to identify the problem quick enough to make the proper fix.

Struts are missing......

Yup. I'm pretty sure they knew it and were experimenting at what would happen. Why else would they be videoing, fire extinguishers, and a couple of the guys were definitely looking at the skids.

Missing struts isn't a piloting error. I noticed he didn't use a tourque wrench, but as I'm not an A&P I don't know if he's supposed to?...even so, that's also not a piloting error. He's sitting on the same side as the gas tank, but I can't tell if the other side has one, so I can't say that, also that's not really a piloting error either. Therefore I'm left with the only logical piloting error...he chose to fly a 300! :D

Not 100% sure but, it appeared to be an A&P class with a Viet Nam helicopter pilot as the instructor (as mentioned in the prelog). Probably, a build-up from a donated machine and the reason for fire protection and video…. Thus, I can’t imagine the level of stupidity to purposely demonstrate ground resonance to the point of destruction which could possibly result in injury to onlookers… Especially, with Mr. long-hair-pony-tail-baggy-pants on scene (not to be judgmental but an obvious safety hazard).

And, if I remember correctly, adjustment of the dampener does not require a torque wrench…….

The mistake by the pilot was starting the engine and engaging the rotor....... Therefore, his 1st mistake was waking up and going to work........

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

This is a pretty popular video at my school since our primary trainer is the 300C. Some guys agree that this looks intentional. A couple of reasons I may disagree with that would be the fact that nobody is wearing any protective equipment (pilot helmet?), and it takes place on a ramp full of other aircraft.

Not saying for sure, because honestly I have no idea but it just seems they would have taken better precaution if they knew this would happen. Either way, not having oleo struts was pretty much asking for it.

Sounds like the engine was at operating RPMs, and if that's the case, he should have pulled the aircraft into the air and got off the ground at the onset of ground resonance.

I understand it happened in a heartbeat and maybe wasn't able to identify the problem quick enough to make the proper fix.

You CAN NOT get the aircraft off the ground fast enough to stop this with the collective at the bottom. Three main rotor rotations finishes the job, the rest is just normal crash.

If you're LANDING, on the other hand, as you reduce collective to load the landing gear and the divergence starts, you can, indeed must lift to prevent ground resonance.

The struts damp the oscillation or detune the airframe from resonating with the rotor. All of which start in the main rotor. Otherwise, the struts and gear have nothing to do with ground resonance.

Looks like solid links in place of dampers, also there is a break torque for mechanical dampes.

Did not hear freewheel check either.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pokey

yes, landing gear dampers missing, elsastomeric dampers is a good guess too (but they are the old friction type dampers). flying from the wrong side in a th-55 is also a good observation, waking up and going to work is closest. Initial setting of the old friction dampers does require an inch pound tork wrench and a special adapter B4 installing on the aircraft----yer gettin' even warmer !

once the engine was started, it was way past his 1st mistake. Take a look at what bolt he was turning in the beginning of the video, & which way he was turning it, i gave ya clue that is was a mechanic's mistake, for one? he was loosening the bolt to the arm that attached to the friction damper, for 2? you NEVER turn the bolt ! ! ! always the nut =unless it is impossible ( turning the bolt takes off the plating & that is necessary for 2 reasons((another time & place for that one tho))

His 1st mistake was clearly "pilot with wrench"

and? dunno if it was just an error of the video taper, but? he checked the "phasing" of the blades twice on all but one on the blades.

To elaborate on this, he had NO clue as to the importance of blade dampers/landing gear damper relationship & ground resonance, i hope his young A&P students learned something.

oh HECK !! free ice cream for every one anyhow

edit: not saying he left the bolt out, just has NO respect for aircraft bolts/hardware & shouldn't have a wrench :P

Edited by pokey

His 1st mistake was clearly "pilot with wrench"

To elaborate on this, he had NO clue as to the importance of blade dampers/landing gear damper relationship & ground resonance, i hope his young A&P students learned something.

oh HECK !! free ice cream for every one anyhow

edit: not saying he left the bolt out, just has NO respect for aircraft bolts/hardware & shouldn't have a wrench :P

The school isn't there anymore...

Still dont understand the mind set no dampers( struts?) there appeared to be no lower starboard screen leaking oil, incorrect friction damper adjustment ( almost as if they were seting it up to go ground resonance),& the stack of washers on blade does not give me any confidence in rotor ballance, with those old type blades it needs to be good for a ok ride watch the vibes at 3m40s on.

Still not as dangerous as VN I suppose.

Goldy no need to send ice cream :mellow:

Hey now, Pokey said he would buy the ice cream!

Not a 300 guy much so missed just about everything that Pokey pointed out! Which is why I call him if I have a 300 question!

SorryGoldy

Will Collect from Pokey next time I am in US

Just been in Check republic fo a couple of days with a 500 Notar that has problems