Reading list for new student

So I'm to start in August for flight school, I'm wanting some specifics on a reading list to prepare. Basically want ground school out of the way before I get there. I have the far/aim and the helicopter handbook. I've been around helicopters all my life just need to know exactly what I need to read.

• Like 3

when you have finished enjoying the technical stuff, and deciphering LIFT= 1/2 rho times V-squared times Coefficient of Lift times Surface Area...

and when you are getting bored...

come and visit www.chopperstories.com

And see how the lower caste live. Puling rickshaws. Past the Holy Cow Poops.

Uh-huh.

:)

So I'm to start in August for flight school, I'm wanting some specifics on a reading list to prepare. Basically want ground school out of the way before I get there. I have the far/aim and the helicopter handbook. I've been around helicopters all my life just need to know exactly what I need to read.

Try not to get ahead-of-the-game too much… Read the Helicopter Flying Handbook and Jeppesen Private Pilot manual for starters. I wouldn’t go too deep into the FAR/AIM until you get some guidance with what to read…….

Additionally, I’m not a believer of completing a ground school prior to turning a blade. Specifically, in my experience, ground and flight training go hand-n-hand. That is, filling your head with the right information at the right time can, and will, speed up the training. Conversely, filling your head with unnecessary information will slow your progress due to memorization problems. Basically, it boils down to a one-step-forward, two-steps-backwards scenario…… For me, for every one hour of flight training, I’d do 2 hours of ground, from day one, starting with 2 hours of ground…..

@ terminal veto

I'm SO wounded. Straight to the quick. Blog Spam. I'm mortified. Not sure if I'll ever get over this. :blink:

You still sore about that, eh? Poor fish.

Funnily enough, the kind folk at Just Helicopters (owners of this site) generously pay ME, sweetheart. See the mighty Blog on JH front page..

What you think the hyperlinks are for?

Strange person...

Hummm.... peace.

:)

PS: are you somebody I once fired? You're not the dude with the hammer, are you? Thou protesteth in a familiar manner.

Edited by Francis Meyrick
  • Like 1

Your post first post above is a perfect example.

Thank you! I do my best!

<_<

• Like 1

Stick with the FAA Helicopter manual because you are in pursuit of a FAA license.

my two cents. also, tons of great info often overlooked in the AIM.

lastly though, if you read anything above and beyond that, at this point in your career/training just read it for fun and if something sticks then cool.

@ Terminal Veto

I have a confession to make. Damned if I knew what "SEO" stood for. I initially assumed it was a Sexually Enabled Or... you know. But following diligent research, I now understand. I post a hyperlink, and the search engines count the hyperlink, and that raises www.chopperstories.com in rank from #3,456,784 to # 3,456,783, and that fact bugs the arse off you. Thank you for contributing to my much needed heducation. I promise I will meditate most severely on your SEO.

Meanwhile, I have written you a poem. I didn't hyperlink it, so it won't stir/elevate my SEO. (Still sounds obscene, when you say it like that... )

Terminal Veto on the prowl

Terminal Veto wears a scowl

Terminal Veto truly thinks

Evil flows from hyperlinks.

"SEO" is on his mind

the scourge of honest humankind

Death and pestilence to the Blog!

Hang and Quarter the scurvy Mog!

"SEO", the Joker submits

shouldn't get right on your t.....

a harmless quirk you ought to know

that honestly merits far below

the wrath of Terminal's severe "MO".

The definition of HIS curse

for better or for ever worse?

respectfully, I suggest below... (*)

Humbly Yours

Moggy

(*) = TVMO Terminal Veto's Mild Obsession...?

:ph34r:

• Like 1

You just can't be mad at this guy. He's entertaining, he works his plugs into posts that have merit on their own content, and he has a dog riding a skateboard in his sig.

To the OP, rotorcraft flying handbook is what I'd recommend. You don't even need to read it and REALLY try to understand it, just glance through it to learn about anything that sounds interesting.

he works his plugs into posts that have merit on their own content

LIke post #2 above, that offered nothing except a self-referral?

On most moderated forums of which I've been a member, his kind of shameless self-promotion is regarded as "spam" and is quickly extinguished. The poster is either made to stop or is required to become a paid advertiser.

In the end though, it's not my forum; if Lynn is fine with Francis's "blog spam", then so be it.

Helicopter Flying Handbook, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the FAR/AIM, and the POH/RFM for the aircraft you plan to fly.

Those books hold the answers for nearly everything you'll see on a checkride.

• Like 1

@ Terminal veto

In the end though, it's not my forum; if Lynn is fine with Francis's "blog spam", then so be it.

I say, Termy old boy, that's awfully sporting of you. I'm bumbled, I'm sure. Humbled, I mean. And just to prove to you that a) there's no hard feelings and B) I can also write very seriously about matters pertaining to the seriousness of business, herewith your very own, personal, blog spam hyperlink: Thank you. :huh: I hope you enjoy it.

For Terminal Veto, from the Mog.

Sincerely :)

• 1 month later...

You just can't be mad at this guy. He's entertaining, he works his plugs into posts that have merit on their own content, and he has a dog riding a skateboard in his sig....

I say, Termy old boy, that's awfully sporting of you. I'm bumbled, I'm sure. Humbled, I mean. And just to prove to you that a) there's no hard feelings and B) I can also write very seriously about matters pertaining to the seriousness of business,

Not being the brightest bulb in the pack (hell, I fly helicopters for a living) (what do you expect, eh?) I often have to meditate slowly and thoughtfully on the wise input I receive in this august forum. I think I can see my esteemed new friend Terminal Veto's point of view. I can also follow my old buddy Azhigher's wise council.

So... :huh:

I was just wonderin'... like.... do you honorable gentlemen think I could smarten up my struggling pro-fess-ion-al image a bit if I changed my avatar?

What might you gents think of this one? Better? yes? No?

:unsure:

Moggy's new avatar?