TigerTugsVRForumGen468VOLO_VRGeneral468Helicopter AcademyUpperLimit2011General_468x60
Photo
- - - - -

The end is near.....

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 18:02

I have paid my $ and am now on my way to becoming an Instructor, from ground zero God help us all!!!! I have been bitten....lol

• inetryconydot, XRumerTest and BlapleIcentee like this

#2 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 20:25

You paid it all up front, zero time to CFI?

#3 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 20:26

Edited by Flying Pig, 17 May 2015 - 20:26.

#4 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 00:38

Hope you didn't prepay all of it, or you might be hosed. Fingers crossed.

Also, write more in your posts so we can pick it apart further. Or at least give us more to talk about.

Edited by Azhigher, 18 May 2015 - 00:39.

• Francis Meyrick likes this

#5 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:24

I had almost nothing to go on. I did what I could gents
  • Azhigher and Francis Meyrick like this

#6 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Fixed Wing and Helo trucker. I enjoy being a chopper jockey, and trying to figure the world, people and belief systems out. I'm not very good at it, so it keeps me real busy. I scribble, blog, run a website, (www.writersharbor.org) run rental houses, ride motorbikes, and read as much as I can. I went solo 44 years ago, and I like to say I'm gonna get me a real job one day. When I grow up. ("but not just yet, Lord, not just yet")
    For my aviation scribbles see www.chopperstories.com.... enjoy!

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:45

Also, write more in your posts so we can pick it apart further. 

I had almost nothing to go on. I did what I could gents 

With friends, allies, encouragement, support, comrades, spiritual sustenance.... like that...

WHO THE FRICK NEEDS A CYNIC...??  

Poor fish newbie poster. Okay, let me provide the ammo. I'll sacrifice myself. I'll make myself the butt of jokes. How about:

I have paid my $ and am now on my way to becoming an Instructor, from ground zero God help us all!!!! I have been bitten....lol

Awesome! Congrats! Good luck! May the air flow around your blades smoothly and for many decades! May you father many happy little tip vortices! May you contribute mightily to the depletion of the Ozone layer! May you too support fossil fuels!  I wish you many dollars spent on occupying a loose and temporary formation of well abused rotating parts!

See, guys? See? Just a simple little support for a new guy. It's not that hard. Uh-huh.

-_-

• Azhigher and achfly like this

"Flying is a Privilege, and not a Right"

fa9f27a0-98d0-48ed-9687-6953eb7f9fca_zps

#7 RagMan

RagMan

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:28

Best wishes and enjoy every aspect of your training.

On a side note, I hope you didn't fully pay for everything up front.

• Azhigher likes this

#8 vortamock

vortamock

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 18:17

Keep us posted! Inquiring broke wannabes and real pilots alike want to know!

#9 Carpenter

Carpenter

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 21:29

There's a sucker born every minute!

#10 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 00:49

Soooo, what's up with updates on how things are going? I mean, you get us started like this and then leave us hanging? Not cool, bro.

#11 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 21:57

I only paid for the private upfront.

Had my first hour of airtime today. Instructor had me controlling cyclic, pedals, and collective after the first 20 minutes. Not a smooth flight but I'm still alive......

Hovering I had the cyclic only and lets just say no bueno. I think I had it still for no more than 10 seconds. Felt like I was an out of control pendulum . Passed controls over more than I want to admit. It looks so easy when my instructor did it. I either adjust way too little too late or way too much too soon.

Sorry for the delay; lots of studying

Pick away......

#12 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 23:03

Nobody hovers first try, because you don't really know what you are trying to achieve - and sometimes the newby instructor doesn't teach it properly;

You are trying to control the attitude out the front.

Forget about keeping a blade of grass steady in the chin bubble. Just remember where in the window the horizon was when the instructor handed over, and whenever it moves away from that spot, FIX IT!

You will move around a bit while this happens - whenever the horizon has moved, the aircraft will also start to move, but if you bring the horizon back to where it should be, the movement will coast to a stop and you are in a new position. Don't sweat trying to get back to where you were hovering, just work on recognising that the attitude is different, and fixing it.

Once that is under control (3 or 4 hours) you can then introduce attitude changes yourself to make the machine move and  put it back to where it should be. You will be hovering.

But the absolute primary control for hovering is the pedals - if you can't control where you are pointing, then the attitude and then the height will be all wrong and it turns to worms.

When the cockpit is full of worms,

STOP THE TURN! (pedals) Make it point.

GET IT FLAT (cyclic)- keep the horizon level and at the right spot in the window, then,

FIX THE HEIGHT (collective)- you will have climbed.

Lotsa luck.

Edited by Eric Hunt, 20 May 2015 - 23:03.

#13 Carpenter

Carpenter

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 23:32

The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. Regarding hovering, remember to direct your eyesight out in front of you 50 feet or so, not directly down at the ground. Boy, now I am getting excited remembering back when I was in your seat. Take care.

Edited by Carpenter, 20 May 2015 - 23:33.

#14 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:48

Thanks for the advice!!! Next flight day is tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted.

#15 Spike

Spike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:56

Good job…. Keep at it….. Remember to relax and above all, have fun…..

After Pvt, only pay in $1000 increments. This is to protect you and your investment and, don't let the school tell you otherwise...... You are the customer....

• Azhigher and Francis Meyrick like this

#16 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 16:22

Thanks Spike.

Today was hovering practice only. Started with cyclic and progressed to cyclic and collective. Bounced it twice, managed to get a decent hover of 15 seconds or so a few times and went out of control on the pendulum about 20 times. Instructor said for a second time trying to hover it was above average. That being said, I doubt it!!!!!

#17 Mikemv

Mikemv

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:Helicopter Aviation for the last 49 yrs
  • Company working for:HelicopterSBT

Posted 22 May 2015 - 18:07

Thanks Spike.

Today was hovering practice only. Started with cyclic and progressed to cyclic and collective. Bounced it twice, managed to get a decent hover of 15 seconds or so a few times and went out of control on the pendulum about 20 times. Instructor said for a second time trying to hover it was above average. That being said, I doubt it!!!!!

What a waste of time in the second lesson. You should be out doing airwork. S&L, medium turns, climbs & descents to build attitude recognition and control touch.

What school are you at?

Is hovering lesson two in the PVT. syllabus?

• Francis Meyrick likes this

#18 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 18:38

Is hovering lesson two in the PVT. syllabus?

In the R22 Training Guide, which my instructor used, hovering practice starts in lesson 2. Although I don't recall ever having an entire lesson dedicated to it, that would be exhausting!

#19 whoknows idont

whoknows idont

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:51

Am I the only one here who was handed all controls at once from the beginning on rather than one at a time?

• vortamock likes this

#20 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 00:45

Am I the only one here who was handed all controls at once from the beginning on rather than one at a time?

Yes.

And hovering will come in time. Just think about years from now when you've made it, and you're reading this forum on your 7 days off and you don't even think about flying anymore because it's second nature. Yeah, that'll be cool.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Helmet FX General 200DevoreGeneral200ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200HeliHelmetsAble_VRGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200MidwestHeliAcademy2016NFCVRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralPrecisionVRForumGeneral200