Helicopter AcademyUpperLimit2011General_468x60VOLO_VRGeneral468TigerTugsVRForumGen468
Photo
- - - - -

The end is near.....

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 whoknows idont

whoknows idont

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 00:58

Ok, I must admit that I had the great advantage of initial training in a 269. So the hovering was not all that difficult really. Although I did find it weird to sit relaxed and straight because the collective in the 269 is a bit short for my physique. After the first two or three lessons my left shoulder hurt for a week. Boy was it comfy once I had transitioned into the 206.

#22 vortamock

vortamock

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 18:45

Am I the only one here who was handed all controls at once from the beginning on rather than one at a time?

No. But unfortunately I haven't had any follow lessons since.

#23 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 00:20

So, I am done with 5 hours of flight. My hovering is getting there slow but sure. I no longer hand over control nearly as much when I get to swinging. Instructor lets me figure it out on my own. I do tend to have issue with yaw however, mostly forgetting left pedal when needed or just not pushing enough. I have landed during hover practice twice as well(totally not planned but very well done....lol) After landing the second time I did get to lift off to hover which I did manage. I am starting to relax more so the fun is really amping up.

Pick away

• WolftalonID and whoknows idont like this

#24 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 00:39

Good to hear. No picking necessary =)

#25 Yamer

Yamer

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Company working for:Army National Guard

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:07

So, I am done with 5 hours of flight. My hovering is getting there slow but sure. I no longer hand over control nearly as much when I get to swinging. Instructor lets me figure it out on my own. I do tend to have issue with yaw however, mostly forgetting left pedal when needed or just not pushing enough. I have landed during hover practice twice as well(totally not planned but very well done....lol) After landing the second time I did get to lift off to hover which I did manage. I am starting to relax more so the fun is really amping up.

Pick away

Internet lesson one... We ALWAYS meant to do it if it was awesome... If something broke or if it wasn't cool, then it was clearly the instructors fault for interfering.
  • gary-mike, Fred0311 and wants to fly like this
"If one engine fails, how far can the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!"

#26 vortamock

vortamock

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 00:23

Awesome! We are living vicariously through your stories! =D

#27 500E

500E

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Company working for:Owner 50 + years

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:01

Always found pedals the hardest.

Follow Ericks suggestion you wont go far wrong.

Still cant get spell check to work on this site, & only on this site.

Being dyslexic is a bunner  :)

Fly the dream fly 500

#28 Goldy

Goldy

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Interests:uuuh? flying helicopers maybe?
  • Company working for:Hey I didn't know you could loop an R22 ???

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:16

Dyslexic.....or maybe it's dylsexic... who really knows?

All good advice, just remember that we recognize the ship is moving before you do, and we make a smaller faster correction than you do, and then we re-center the cyclic before she starts to swing in that direction, requiring yet another larger correction.

Good times, I used to hate it when my CFI would reach out and put one finger on the cyclic and stop my swing into a dead hover. 

It comes with time, so give it some. Enjoy your flights.

Goldy

Fly Safe !!

Goldy-CPL(H),R22A, HP, B, BII, R44 Astro, R1,RII,R44ClipperII, R66, B47G2, S300C, S333, B206B3, DG500, RV10, E480B, AS350BA, S-58T, what next?

FAA Aircraft Dealer
http://www.bestaerialphoto.com
http://www.phpa.org
http://www.rotorcraftpro.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvN3GDEXPos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuX9SO5uCno

#29 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 14:00

So, now that I am 9 hours in, I figured time for an update. Hovering is much better, not perfect but the instructor doesn't need to take over. I fight my way back to where i need to be.  Goldy, my instructor pisses me off the same way.

Ground school is at the half way point and at least tolerable....lol

Doing my own take off and landings now. I do tend to either slow down too soon on my approaches or come in way too fast and have to go around. At least I figure it out on my own and the instructor is hands off.

We are going to be doing auto rotations as well flying without the governor this week.

#30 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:27

It's easy to control your speed.

Just look at the ground over your toes, and keep it at an apparent walking pace. From 60kt/300' it looks the same all the way to a real walking pace at a 5' hover taxi. Just be ready for the sink around 30kt as you pass through the bottom of the drag curve, when you will need to pull a little power to keep the glide angle constant - but DON'T LET THE NOSE COME UP! A secondary effect of collective, that nose rise will make you slow down even faster and drop like a rock. Don't want a "chop, drop and plop" approach. Just select and hold the hover attitude from 60kt/ 300' all the way to the actual hover. Attitude is airspeed, power is rate of descent.

#31 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 18:39

Did some flying without the gov. today. Of course also did a number of laps around the airport....lol

I know none of you know how well or how poorly I am flying, but is there a typical track I am on? In other words, hour 11 will be autorotation; can you tell if I am behind, ahead, or on track of the typical trainee? I don't like to fall behind in anything. I am assuming my instructor won't be advancing the lessons if I am not passing some type of standard for the previous lesson but what the hell do i know? 

Thanks in advance

#32 whoknows idont

whoknows idont

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:39

Why don't you ask your instructor? He can judge your progress much better than anyone here. 

#33 Mikemv

Mikemv

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:Helicopter Aviation for the last 49 yrs
  • Company working for:HelicopterSBT

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:54

Did some flying without the gov. today. Of course also did a number of laps around the airport....lol

I know none of you know how well or how poorly I am flying, but is there a typical track I am on? In other words, hour 11 will be autorotation; can you tell if I am behind, ahead, or on track of the typical trainee? I don't like to fall behind in anything. I am assuming my instructor won't be advancing the lessons if I am not passing some type of standard for the previous lesson but what the hell do i know? 

Thanks in advance

You should know the desired level of performance for elements of the lesson via a walk away assignment from the previous lesson and also during a pre-brief of the lesson for the day.

This ensures that both you and your instructor are working as a team. 

Demand this from your instructor and yourself. Own your training, do not be in a follow along position, act with a PIC mentality and approach every flight with a "best flight ever" mentality!

• whoknows idont likes this

#34 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:28

My instructor is quite positive about my training, but that does not mean he is telling me the truth. He tells me what we are going to work on each lesson before it and reviews it with me afterward. He also states we are on a normal training schedule, I just know what a normal schedule is. It may just come from being too hard on myself and believing him because his confidence in my flying seems much higher than mine. I want perfection from my performance every flight and that just doesn't happen so it pisses me off.

#35 Spike

Spike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:05

My instructor is quite positive about my training, but that does not mean he is telling me the truth. He tells me what we are going to work on each lesson before it and reviews it with me afterward. He also states we are on a normal training schedule, I just know what a normal schedule is. It may just come from being too hard on myself and believing him because his confidence in my flying seems much higher than mine. I want perfection from my performance every flight and that just doesn't happen so it pisses me off.

Welcome to the art of flying helicopters…..

I suggest, if you don’t trust your instructor, then get one you do trust. Moreover, coming to the internet to tell us about your progress is one thing. Asking the internet if your progress is normal is another…. We’re all different and learn at different rates so your question can only be answered by you and your instructor… 

With that, concentrate on what you need to do to improve.  Don’t waste time here asking for opinions (mine included). Take each lesson one step-at-a-time and build from the last.  And no, in the beginning it won’t be perfect so you can rid yourself of that burden -like right now…  What you are learning has a curve and a plateau, a curve and a plateau, a curve and a plateau, so-on-and-so-forth…  Take a chill pill and go with it. And, trust your instructor. Why? Simply because it appears he trusts you…..

#36 Rick McWilliams

Rick McWilliams

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:06

Your progress sounds normal. Perfection eludes us. You will set increasingly high standards for yourself. Now it might be hover within a 5 foot circle. My wife likes to squash snails and that takes about 1x4 inch positioning. It will be a while before you do a set down that is imperceptible.

You should work for precision improvement and increase in awareness. You will have a off day and not progress.  Soon the helicopter will fly by thought control. You think and the helicopter does it. What your hands and feet do becomes automatic.

#37 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 16:15

Thanks as always folks, time to learn why the weather man is always wrong.

#38 Azhigher

Azhigher

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 21:49

Don't worry about keeping on track for the "norms" of how long training is supposed to take. If you feel like you're making progress then all is well. As soon as you start focusing on deadlines for learning you're going to get anxious which is just going to make your flying worse. In the end, it will take as much time as it takes and it'll cost whatever it's going to cost. Try to be as prepared for every flight as you can be, make sure you're studying on the ground to minimize time spent in ground school but really that's about all you can do.

#39 vortamock

vortamock

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:47

Glad to hear you're progressing nicely! It gives me hope!

#40 PondJumper

PondJumper

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:03

Sounds like your flying is progressing as it should based on what you've posted. The best advice I can offer you though is to not get so focused on the flying that you neglect the ground school and home study.

The book work (in my experience) is the majority of learning to fly helicopters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

DevoreGeneral200HeliHelmetsPrecisionVRForumGeneral200Able_VRGeneral200MidwestHeliAcademy2016Helmet FX General 200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralNFCVRGeneral200ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200