Helicopter AcademyUpperLimit2011General_468x60VOLO_VRGeneral468TigerTugsVRForumGen468
Photo
- - - - -

The end is near.....

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 16:43

Have not posted in a while so here is an update. Ground school is damn near completed aside from the reviewing that will be needed until check ride time. I have about 16 hours of flight time in the air. I have however built a wooden to-scale mock working r22 cabin with instrument panel, pedals, collective, throttle, and cyclic. I have flown that chair for at least as many hours already. The time spent building was worth its weight in gold. I expect there will be a vast improvement in my flying over the next couple weeks just from increased muscle memory. At the very least, I will be an expert at autorotations and quick stops in a stationary chair very soon....lol Hope you all are having a great day and thanks for all the advice.

#42 gary-mike

gary-mike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, power sports, the great outdoors
  • Company working for:Commercial RW Student / USAF Retired

Posted 02 July 2015 - 20:00

I have been told to visualize what I'm going to do before doing it, this fits in with your chair flying. Do this in the helicopter as well, it does work. When I tried it, I made a beautiful approach... To a go around.

Short story behind that and a lesson I learned. I was having a great day, on it with the radios, weather, planning, solid airspeed and altitude, you know one of them days I was feeling like a helicopter pilot and not beating myself up well, because I was flying good. Even my instructor, who had constant suggestions (all positive, he just instructed the whole flight normally), sat quietly/BS'd about life. We had talked about how some instructors expect somewhat different approach angles for the different type of approach. E.g. One guys normal approach was another guys shallow approach etc. So as we come up to our practice airport, he tells me just visualize what you are going to do, and make it happen, not another word.

So, why the go around? Well even though I had listened to AWOS and knew I was going to fly a pattern for 16, I visualized flying 34, which lead me to fly the perfect approach to 34. So see, it works great, as long as you visualize the correct procedure. I caught myself as I flew past the numbers ( landing on a parallel taxiway), as I cussed my instructor for letting me go all the way to final approach without correcting me, he just said "you visualized flying 34 didn't you? "
  • ridethisbike and wants to fly like this

#43 RagMan

RagMan

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 23:07

Edited

Edited by RagMan, 03 July 2015 - 07:34.

#44 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 23:19

How is landing on a parallel taxiway a go around?

#45 Jaybee

Jaybee

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:41

I'm going to go ahead and guess he didn't want to land with a tailwind.... though, if done intentionally there is nothing wrong with it per say.

"In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks." — Wilbur Wright in a letter to his father, September 1900. 

"The foot rests have a profound impact on the outcome of today's flight ending safely" - My flight instructor.

#46 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:51

Nothing wrong with a go around, I just wouldn't call a simple u-turn from the runway to the taxiway a go around. Unless he went all the way up to pattern altitude to do it?

#47 Pohi

Pohi

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:14

Maybe he didn't land at all in that particular approach. Maybe he was attempting to land with a tailwind, realized his mistake on the final approach leg, cussed out his instructor, aborted the final approach, and initiated a go around.

Either way, I'm guessing the point he was making has absolutely nothing to do with what constitutes a go around.

Edited by Pohi, 03 July 2015 - 12:18.

#48 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:24

The internet cares not for the point anyone is trying to make! :D
  • whoknows idont likes this

#49 gary-mike

gary-mike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, power sports, the great outdoors
  • Company working for:Commercial RW Student / USAF Retired

Posted 03 July 2015 - 13:28

Ok, so I wasn't clear, let me clarify. We usually make our approaches to a parallel taxiway to stay out of the fixed wing traffic, and there are heli pads painted on the taxiway. So on final as I was parallel the numbers, I looked over and realized my mistake. That is when I initiated a go around to get in the pattern for 16. Winds were light, and I felt I could have easily made the landing, but there wasn't a need to so I opted to announce my mistake and fix it with a go around.

You hit the nail on the head Pohi. Sorry I was not more clear in my post all, guess I should work on my story writing skills.

I guess what I was trying to get across was that visualizing a maneuver can be a powerful tool, I flew the whole approach just as I had visualized it... Problem was I visualized the approach going the wrong direction, probably because that seems to be the more common pattern at this airport, at least in the afternoon (when I usually flew there), this was a morning flight, and winds were from the south.

Edited by gary-mike, 03 July 2015 - 13:29.

#50 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 15:33

Well see I visualized you coming in over the runway, saying oh' sh*t, then making a u-turn and landing on the parallel taxiway. :D

Got to say though, building a mock up of the 22's cabin, that's dedication!
  • gary-mike likes this

#51 Goldy

Goldy

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Interests:uuuh? flying helicopers maybe?
  • Company working for:Hey I didn't know you could loop an R22 ???

Posted 05 July 2015 - 19:04

There is some good learning to be had sitting in your car, or chair at home. A flashlight was my collective and the stick shift was my cyclic......visualization creates muscle memory. How many cops have turned out the lights and sat in a dark room drawing their weapon? Probably everybody. It teaches you where the weapon is on your belt, how to undo the strap without looking down (taking eyes off target), drawing, release safety, come up on target and squeeze...then put it away without looking down.

Same thing when chair flying, just visualize an approach. Plan when you start adding power that the nose is going to rise and you need some forward cyclic and of course some added pedal. There are lots of tricks like that one you can use to improve your skills.....but bottom line, this is not training that you want to rush. Don't push yourself and expect a flight test at 40 hours....expect it when you are ready for it....and the best judge of that is your CFI. 

When you have 2000 hours, no one really cares if you solo'd at 20, 40 or 50 hours so relax. 

If you have any radio comm issues, listen to atc.net of the airports in your area and get familiar with the conversations. 

Good luck, fly safe.

Goldy

Fly Safe !!

Goldy-CPL(H),R22A, HP, B, BII, R44 Astro, R1,RII,R44ClipperII, R66, B47G2, S300C, S333, B206B3, DG500, RV10, E480B, AS350BA, S-58T, what next?

FAA Aircraft Dealer
http://www.bestaerialphoto.com
http://www.phpa.org
http://www.rotorcraftpro.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvN3GDEXPos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuX9SO5uCno

#52 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy casual renter! :)

Posted 05 July 2015 - 20:03

When you have 2000 hours, no one really cares if you solo'd at 20, 40 or 50 hours so relax. 

Yeah, but if you only have 500hrs?,...well they still couldn't give a sh*t!  :lol:

I never did the arm chair thing (too restless to sit in one place I guess).  I used to pace around the living room as if I were in the pattern, walking (excuse the pun) myself through the various steps.  Still do sometimes to help review autos for check flights and BFRs.

:)

The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fifteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#53 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:20

Same goes for where you trained and/or what school you went to.  Nobody cares.  Everyone is ultimately passed or failed on the PTS, not your schools address.

Edited by Flying Pig, 06 July 2015 - 08:21.

#54 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:36

"wants to fly"

I have to say your idea of building a wood mock up of an R22 could be an issue.  You are not developing any sort of skill, what you are doing in engraining a mechanical muscle memory response.  In real life, your response has to be relative to the flight envelope you are in.  At your level of experience, I would seriously caution you on developing your own training aids and self teaching at home at this point.    The ol' "Law of Primacy" comes in.  If you mistakenly teach yourself something, it could really set you back.  There have been a couple things along the way where I was taught wrong by an instructor who was doing his best... but was wrong.  Even today, after I know the right way, that initial wrong lesson 10-15yrs ago still flashes through my mind even if just for a second.

Edited by Flying Pig, 06 July 2015 - 09:07.

#55 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 14:31

No question the chair flying has helped....I am more confident in the movements required. No its not exact but helpful nonetheless. Flying Pig, I hear what you are saying, my golf game is a direct result of what you posted. I have learned however, not to practice anything incorrectly. I am not saying I execute perfectly, I just make sure that I know exactly what it is I am supposed to be doing before I practice it.

As far as testing at 40 hours or 80 hours. I don't care who knows when I tested, I have no ego in that regard. I just want to be good at what I do, and like most, have a limited bank account to work with...Now if you will accept my leave, my chair is begging me to take it for a flight.

Be safe y'all 

#56 rotorrrhead

rotorrrhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters with no doors on, hot svensk flickor, my wacko Cesky terrier Voodoo, writing my Zombie novel, hiking, trail running, snow boarding, sand volleyball, kayaking, traveling Europe, board(war)games and more

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:47

ADVICE

When I was training I practiced on with my HIND 24 video game with the flying setting on realistic. I know it helped ME. My best training day was after a strong cup of coffee. I don't drink it so the caffeine really focused me.

I had the best instructor as well. He was fun to fly with. Made machine gun noises while I flew low level along a water way. Aren't we all wannabe gunship pilots.

#57 Curyfury

Curyfury

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 15:40

ADVICE

When I was training I practiced on with my HIND 24 video game with the flying setting on realistic. I know it helped ME. My best training day was after a strong cup of coffee. I don't drink it so the caffeine really focused me.

I had the best instructor as well. He was fun to fly with. Made machine gun noises while I flew low level along a water way. Aren't we all wannabe gunship pilots.

You just gave me an awesome idea. Doors off....middle of nowhere...paintball gun! What could go wrong?

Edited by Curyfury, 14 July 2015 - 15:40.

• Midnighthog likes this

#58 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 16:36

Yeah, and bomb dropping noises when flying over bridges! Its fun to loosen up every so often. :D

#59 PondJumper

PondJumper

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 20:04

Don't take this the wrong way but if you have flown only 16 hours and are saying that ground school is nearly complete, either you have been doing ground school like a mofo or there are considerable gaps.

Not trying to discredit you at all... it's just very uncommon.

#60 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 13:10

Pondjumper, you are correct. I study my butt off daily and have multiple hours of ground school at least 4 days a week. Being a firefighter paramedic my flight time is limited to only 2-3x/week because I refuse to fly when I get off of my 24hour shift.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Content Spy

MidwestHeliAcademy2016ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200Able_VRGeneral200Helmet FX General 200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200DevoreGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200HeliHelmetsGenesys VRForum200_General