TigerTugsVRForumGen468UpperLimit2011General_468x60VOLO_VRGeneral468Helicopter Academy
Photo
- - - - -

The end is near.....

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 16:59

Well I am not sure what went wrong today, but I took my written test today. I missed 4 questions leaving me a 93%. Do Do happens and it won't happen again.

• Midnighthog likes this

#62 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 17:06

Oh stop it.....

• whoknows idont and Midnighthog like this

#63 RagMan

RagMan

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 18:19

My God Jim..... That's unacceptable..   

On another note it seems studying has paid off, at least for that phase of your training.

Edited by RagMan, 31 July 2015 - 18:19.

#64 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 20:07

Now if I can only get the hang of autorotations....."wonky" was my instructors word to describe them. Slow raising the collective to slow rpm and consistently too far aft with cyclic adding to the problem of increased rpm in the first place.

#65 eagle5

eagle5

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 20:35

Now if I can only get the hang of autorotations... and consistently too far aft with cyclic adding to the problem of increased rpm in the first place.

I have never pulled aft cyclic during an auto entry for that very reason. Pretty much just one second after lowering the collective it needs to be raised a bit.

#66 heliflyknow

heliflyknow

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 00:07

I remember at the beginning of my training saying "eyes outside, entering auto now," back then I would say that then immediately look at the tachometers and fixate on them.
The whole idea of the cyclic part of down collective-right pedal-aft cyclic-wrist uncomfortable is to keep the ship level, and the best way to do that is to reference the horizon.
Whatever reference you use for cruise flight try to keep that on the horizon during entry, that is all the aft cyclic you need to put in.
A couple of tips:
1 The smoother the entry the easier the rest of the auto will be- if you are already in a descent, even only 100fpm, it will make the entry smoother.
2. RPMs follow the nose- this is more important in 180's, if the RPMs are climbing you are probably pitching up/slowing down/ pulling aft cyclic and vice versa
3. When you're checking outside/airspeed/RPM say what you see, this will keep your scan going so you don't fixate and help your instructor know what you are missing.

#67 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:40

Hold the attitude

stop the yaw

get the lever to the floor.

How much easier do you need it to be??? And it's all done LOOKING OUTSIDE...

#68 500E

500E

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Company working for:Owner 50 + years

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:43

Must have had same instructor  Eric

Fly the dream fly 500

#69 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 19:26

Autos finally going the way they are supposed to thank the lord....I have to finish my solo cross country flights and fine tune a few things. Lucky for me, I have the next 35 days off of work and hope to be a private pilot by the end of Sept!!!!! Thanks to all that have posted tips here to assist me.

• Midnighthog likes this

#70 vortamock

vortamock

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 00:37

Sweet!

#71 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 16:24

I have not posted here for a while so here is the update. I still have not taken my check ride....If anything I have learned things in aviation do not always go as planned....lmao. Have had weather issues, mechanical problems, my instructor left for a better gig. Just to name a few. I am pretty dialed in for the oral part of my check ride according to my current instructor. I have a final flight with a different instructor scheduled next week, because my instructor would like to be sure he has not missed any issues with my flying. Hopefully by Thanksgiving I will be working on my Instrument rating.

• KChristian and Jaybee like this

#72 wants to fly

wants to fly

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 20:50

Well, after a what seems a long time and a lot of work, here is the latest update. I am now a CFI and tour pilot for the same company I trained at. I read through this post just now after quite some time and had a lot of fun doing so. Again I have to say thanks to those of you that had offered up tips along the way.  

Be safe all.

• Nearly Retired and Jaybee like this

#73 Retreating Brain Stall

Retreating Brain Stall

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 21:31

Congratulations! All the hard work pays off- now you got your license to learn;)  Soon you'll be able to attach names to the Aviation Instructor's Handbook!  Now the real fun begins- getting paid to do what you love. Stay humble and don't stop learning as you progress in your career.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

DevoreGeneral200Helmet FX General 200MidwestHeliAcademy2016ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralAble_VRGeneral200HeliHelmetsMaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200