GI Bill Reserve "KICKER" - the Million Dollar question.

I can't for the life of me figure out if GI Bill "Kicker" for the Reserve/Guard can be used for flight costs. I know the regular GI Bill can, but how about the add on that some MOS's get, aka, the kicker? I've called the VA and asked everywhere, but no one seems to know. Any insight??

Yes, the kicker just increases the total amount under 1606. Good luck with finding anyone at the VA knowledgeable about Chapter 1606....

from my first hand experience this is how it works - you get 3 years of benefits or 36 months. You get a monthly rate say $600 for a total of $21600. Now add the kicker for $200 buck more a month and you get $28800 in total available benefits.

You still have to pay out of your pocket and the VA will reimburse you 60% of what you spent AFTER you get your private rating, until you exhaust your funds.

If you have deployed then you will gain one year of eligibility (12 months) under Chap 33 or Post 911 so you can use up all your chap 1606 and then still have a years worth of chap 33.

PS - also beware of what the school's charge. for example Bristow charged $350 per hour (random number) but the VA will only reimburse up to $325 per hour for example. the 1606 was the most pain in the butt worthless.... ugh.... just deploy and convert all your benefits to chap 33 you will be happier - my two cents...

Yes, the kicker just increases the total amount under 1606. Good luck with finding anyone at the VA knowledgeable about Chapter 1606....

from my first hand experience this is how it works - you get 3 years of benefits or 36 months. You get a monthly rate say $600 for a total of $21600. Now add the kicker for $200 buck more a month and you get $28800 in total available benefits.

You still have to pay out of your pocket and the VA will reimburse you 60% of what you spent AFTER you get your private rating, until you exhaust your funds.

If you have deployed then you will gain one year of eligibility (12 months) under Chap 33 or Post 911 so you can use up all your chap 1606 and then still have a years worth of chap 33.

PS - also beware of what the school's charge. for example Bristow charged $350 per hour (random number) but the VA will only reimburse up to $325 per hour for example. the 1606 was the most pain in the butt worthless.... ugh.... just deploy and convert all your benefits to chap 33 you will be happier - my two cents...

How does the VA reimburse? I mean, if someone spends $10K in one month on flight costs, would they reimburse you $6K shortly after? Or do they only reimburse at a maximum $350 (GI Bill) + $200 (Kicker) per month? Great info by the way...thank you.

How does the VA reimburse? I mean, if someone spends $10K in one month on flight costs, would they reimburse you $6K shortly after? Or do they only reimburse at a maximum $350 (GI Bill) + $200 (Kicker) per month? Great info by the way...thank you.

In my situation, the VA really messed up my reimbursement. It took 6 months after I finished my Instrument rating to get any money and I got a lump sum. It took the VA rep at the school several phone calls and actually going to a VA conference and talking to the head cheese to straighten it all out. I spent countless hours on the phone with the VA with the same result every time "I don't know..."

I don't believe it's capped on a monthly basis but don't take my word on that. It should be as I said - you get a total amount available by the formula of months times rate and the reimbursement is subtracted from the till.