Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

I'm 19 yrs old h.s. grad and have been thinking about being a pilot in the military ...but i've always wondered if most people in the Army want to be a pilot, or are there other career fields that are more sought after? I know it doesn't really matter for my goals in life, but just curious...it seems the people at my recruiting station don't even know about woft or flying so that's why I ask.

Also...do most pilots put in at least 20 yrs or do they put in their one term as pilot and then leave the military?

• Like 2

I am an aviation maintainer in the Army and I can say from my experience that most Soldiers in aviation want to be pilots but very few actually follow through with the packet. As a recruiter as well I can say that unless your recruiter has looked into it for himself he probably will not have too much information on the application process. It takes a lot of time and work to get the packet together and for some recruiters they will not be too excited to do the work for you. So if it is something you are serious about don't expect a normal recruiter to do the leg work for you. If you need any help on the recruiting side PM me and I can try and help you best I can(I am also applying for WOFT at the moment).

No. I would say a large amount of people want Infantry. Infantry is the Army.

huh? so they'd rather dodge bullets than fly cool aircraft? I don't get it...

You could look at it this way, Army WOs make up less than 2 % of the total Army force. That includes ALL WOs as well. Aviators are probably just over 1 %. That's why some of the people you know haven't heard of WOFT. My first Platoon Leader didn't realize WOs were pilots until after he joined.

I don't know if there are any actual percentages on how many WOs stay until retirement. If I had to guess for my particular WOCS class, I'd say maybe 1/3 stayed until retirement. Most of those were prior enlisted who already had a head start. Getting to retirement, especially these days, is like navigating a minefield.

• Like 1

You could look at it this way, Army WOs make up less than 2 % of the total Army force. That includes ALL WOs as well. Aviators are probably just over 1 %. That's why some of the people you know haven't heard of WOFT. My first Platoon Leader didn't realize WOs were pilots until after he joined.

I don't know if there are any actual percentages on how many WOs stay until retirement. If I had to guess for my particular WOCS class, I'd say maybe 1/3 stayed until retirement. Most of those were prior enlisted who already had a head start. Getting to retirement, especially these days, is like navigating a minefield.

i thought the Army was all about getting the most $$ out of their pilot....why not make the term like 20 yrs, or is that a stupid idea?

huh? so they'd rather dodge bullets than fly cool aircraft? I don't get it...

Shooting people in the face is a hell of a way to make a living. For some, its the only way. I applaud them.

• Like 1

Shooting people in the face is a hell of a way to make a living. For some, its the only way. I applaud them.

yeah but nobody says ...my dream is to shoot people in the face...but so many say my dream is to fly....so why are so many in the Army like not even aware of the woft program? I mean don't they see helos flying around everywhere and say to themselves...hmm, wouldn't that be cool?

• Like 1

Plenty of people say that. Trust me. Or we wouldn't have such a professional and robust special operations in the US military. The world is quite different out of high school.

No one knows about the WOFT program because recruiters dont talk about it much, and its not really advertised.

As a kid I looked at fighter aircraft and wanted to fly them.

Just my .02

• Like 1

yeah but nobody says ...my dream is to shoot people in the face...but so many say my dream is to fly....so why are so many in the Army like not even aware of the woft program? I mean don't they see helos flying around everywhere and say to themselves...hmm, wouldn't that be cool?

You mean to tell me you honestly don't believe there are people that grow up wanting to be infantry?... wow... try enlisting as a Marine for an 03xx MOS, usually that is the only one that has a wait. And by the way I grew up wanting to shoot people in the face, specifically after September, 11. And I did that, for 8 years and 3 deployments, now I am moving on. Part of the reason is because as a guy in the firefights on the ground I saw what an asset aviators could be to the ground guys. Whether it was dropping warheads on foreheads or picking up my injured guys out of an LZ while taking small arms and RPG fire.

It's not all about personal fulfillment and Joy. The Army, and all branches of service are there to win wars, and the backbone, even today is the infantry.

Plenty of people say that. Trust me. Or we wouldn't have such a professional and robust special operations in the US military. The world is quite different out of high school.

No one knows about the WOFT program because recruiters dont talk about it much, and its not really advertised.

As a kid I looked at fighter aircraft and wanted to fly them.

Just my .02

yeah fighter aircraft would be the best for sure, but i don't think i'd be good enough to get a fighter slot in the AF or Navy. Gotta be top notch. The Army i heard is a lot easier so I'm aiming for that.

You mean to tell me you honestly don't believe there are people that grow up wanting to be infantry?... wow... try enlisting as a Marine for an 03xx MOS, usually that is the only one that has a wait. And by the way I grew up wanting to shoot people in the face, specifically after September, 11. And I did that, for 8 years and 3 deployments, now I am moving on. Part of the reason is because as a grunt I saw what an asset aviators could be to the ground guys. Wethersfield it was dropping warheads on foreheads or picking up my injured guys out of an LZ while taking small arms and RPG fire.

It's not all about personal fulfillment and Joy. The Army, and all branches of service are there to win wars, and the backbone, even today is the infantry.

honestly, no...it's hard to imagine someone would grow up wanting to do that...I mean don't get me wrong i'm not against it. War is war and you gotta do what you gotta do.

i thought the Army was all about getting the most $$ out of their pilot....why not make the term like 20 yrs, or is that a stupid idea?

No, they like experience but they don't want to pay for you to reach a 20 yr retirement. That's why they've proposed a 401K type program for future retirements. Personnel costs are bleeding the DOD of funds.

Right now, the Army, like other branches are in a draw down period. You might have heard stories in the last few years about officers getting forced out. Some were flat out given notice that they'd be kicked out when they returned from deployment. A "pink slip" if you will.

It's just not Army forcing pilots out either. Along the way, some found out the Army wasn't for them. I had many friends who did their 6, got the training, and went on to fly civilian. Some get double pass over for promotion and got forced out. Some people get medically disqualified and are forced out. Some went on to inter-service transfers to fly for other branches. Some have personal or family problems and get out or transfer to a different MOS. Of course you even have a few that perish doing the business. Lost 2 just in my graduating class alone to crashes.

That's what I mean by navigating a minefield. It's a long, tedious, frustrating process but also an incredible feeling of relief and accomplishment when it's over.

• Like 2

Wow.... I don't even have a good response for this...

ok hold up....I didn't mean that to be offensive although i guess it sounds like that. But lets be honest...i can be an Army pilot right now whereas the AF, Navy you need a 4 yr degree....and sometimes the fighter slots get 60 apps for 1 slot.

ok hold up....I didn't mean that to be offensive although i guess it sounds like that. But lets be honest...i can be an Army pilot right now whereas the AF, Navy you need a 4 yr degree....and sometimes the fighter slots get 60 apps for 1 slot.

Belive me I take no offense. I am still a Marine for now, with a degree. What bothers me is you would settle for something easier, when it's not what you want. It's a shitty attitude/philosophy in my mind. The army wants rotary wing aviators, who want to be rotary wing aviators, not guys who want to fly jets but we're to lazy or dumb to get a degree.

Just my .02

• Like 2

yeah fighter aircraft would be the best for sure, but i don't think i'd be good enough to get a fighter slot in the AF or Navy. Gotta be top notch. The Army i heard is a lot easier so I'm aiming for that.

If that is your attitude, please dont even submit a packet. I wouldnt want you flying next to me. Getting a woft slot is extremely difficult and you will be alongside people who work day in and day out to be nothing but the best. Do some homework about army aviation and then come back.
  • Like 3

If that is your attitude, please dont even submit a packet. I wouldnt want you flying next to me. Getting a woft slot is extremely difficult and you will be alongside people who work day in and day out to be nothing but the best. Im actually pissed reading that last sentence. Do some homework about army aviation and then come back.

I'm not saying its easy. I'm saying its easier. It's the reality. I went through the last board forum on this site, May I think....it was a almost 90% selection. A guy i know in the reserves got in meeting the minimums and he had no degree at all. Just because you don't like hearing it doesnt mean its not true. I have no disrespect toward the Army ...my dad served in vietnam...for only 1 yr in 'nam thank god. And yes I would love to be a fighter pilot but I admit I'm not going to spend my whole life trying to get in either. I would still love to still fly helos especially it if means flying in the near future.

Yes you "can" be an army pilot without a degree. The odds of getting it, slim. You need to have some other very strong areas in order to make up for it. To address the almost 90% acceptance. Look back to November 2014, 30%. Its constantly changing.

Actually I joined the infantry to shoot people in the face, then I realized I didn't want to be in the infantry anymore. The Army is not synonymous with aviation it is synonymous with infantry and armor. Most people have no idea the sheer scale of Army Aviation.

• Like 3

Yes you "can" be an army pilot without a degree. The odds of getting it, slim. You need to have some other very strong areas in order to make up for it. To address the almost 90% acceptance. Look back to November 2014, 30%. Its constantly changing.

i've been looking at the boards for the last year and half or so...they hover closer to 90 then they do 30. Probably 60-70% on avg. And you get two shots at it, automatically.

i've been looking at the boards for the last year and half or so...they hover closer to 90 then they do 30. Probably 60-70% on avg. And you get two shots at it, automatically.

I don't believe your math is too good. Probably good thing you're giving up on trying to fly jets. Also you may be forgetting that before a civilian packet gets looked at for official selection it goes through a rigorous screening and Bn board where packets get stopped. So yes street to seat may appear to have a higher acceptance rate, on the surface.
  • Like 1

I don't believe your math is too good. Probably good thing you're giving up on trying to fly jets. Also you may be forgetting that before a civilian packet gets looked at for official selection it goes through a rigorous screening and Bn board where packets get stopped. So yes street to seat may appear to have a higher acceptance rate, on the surface.

I didn't say it was easy. My point is that its easier than the other services. I don't think i'm too far off with 60-70% for civ's and very few get stopped at the battalion level from what i've read and from those I've spoken to. If you're reasonably smart, can articulate yourself and aren't a d-bag, I'm sure you get get 2 of 3 to give you the thumbs up. The usarec board screens a little more, yes, but it's not as cutthroat as some of the other services. No one would disagree with that.