Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

The Army i heard is a lot easier so I'm aiming for that.

Just remember that you should be chasing WOFT because you truly want to be a soldier, WO, and pilot, and all that each of those entail, and really in that order. I can understand what you are saying about it "being easier," in that the Army has a crap ton of helicopters, seemingly high acceptance rates, no degree required, etc. etc. While it may appear to be a more simple way to become a pilot than other service branches, what with the whole "street to seat" reputation, saying that you're pursuing WOFT because its the easiest is the best way to get somebody to show you the door. Or if you somehow still get picked up, its a great way to ensure that nobody else wants to fly with you. Why? Because you're only their to get your butt in the seat of the aircraft. You don't care about the mission of the Army and the purpose of Army Aviation.

TL;DR = Pursue WOFT for the right reasons

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but people who have life long dreams of flying join the Air Force. That's what they do.

AF, Navy and even Marines are top notch for flying for sure...

but the Army isn't too shabby....I understand it's about the mission and that's why Army aviation is important. But i'm sure it's also pretty neat to hover over trees and they do get to wear those cool visors just like the other branches. The apaches helmet gear is pretty awesome with the eyepiece too

Not everyone wants to fly in the military.

Not everyone wants to go to college IOT fly.

Not everyone wants to fly fighters.

Some want to fly fighters but end up with helos.

Nothing wrong with any of the above. Choose the path that most clearly matches your goals...just don't underestimate the challenges with that path.

Edited by Velocity173

i'm not sure i understand the troll part...I guess I turned some people off with my talk of the helmets and visors?? It was just an observation, and yeah I think they're pretty cool. Is that bad?

I'm not saying its easy. I'm saying its easier. It's the reality. I went through the last board forum on this site, May I think....it was a almost 90% selection. A guy i know in the reserves got in meeting the minimums and he had no degree at all. Just because you don't like hearing it doesnt mean its not true. I have no disrespect toward the Army ...my dad served in vietnam...for only 1 yr in 'nam thank god. And yes I would love to be a fighter pilot but I admit I'm not going to spend my whole life trying to get in either. I would still love to still fly helos especially it if means flying in the near future.

How about you just GTFO and never join the Army. For your sake and ours.

• Like 1

You know what OP, you are right. It is statically easier to get a pilot job in the Army, and the requirements, at least on paper, are easier. You know a big reason why? We have a sh*t LOAD of helicopters. Like 5000 if you include Reserves and NG.

That means little to nothing if you have a condescending attitude, or have done little to join.

I joined the Army because I wanted to, and yes, I took advantage of the fact that I could join at 30. I needed PRK, and when I was 19 all the doors were closed to me.

• Like 2

I joined to fly the Comanche...those bastards.

Seriously though, no need to beat up on the guy too much. At 19 I was sitting in a movie theater watching Firebirds. While I knew it was unrealistic of Army Aviation, I think a lot of us had a bit of a whimsical outlook on military aviation at that age.

Having said that, OP I think you need a little enlisted time to mature and get a background at least in the aviation side. USMC will do the trick but any branch will be fine.

• Like 4

All these folks getting spooled up over a high schooler interested in woft.

Shindig. If your truly interested in joining the Army, do some research before you jump on the forums and ask questions like "what do most people join the Army for?" or make statements about "how cool our visors are". I can't really take you seriously when you aren't taking the program or our community seriously.

• Like 2

i don't really consider myself to be immature...I even got a job as a mailman last summer when I was 18 because the postmaster said I was wise beyond my years....and being only 5'8, 140 lbs, it wasn't easy carrying a huge sack of letters and boxes from house to house. Not easy drivin that truck either.

I guess I just tend to comment on some things that catch my attention off the bat... I mean the visors are pretty cool ...and yeah i think flying is awesome but it doesn't mean that i'm losing sight of the army's mission. I'm thinking you guys aren't much older than me...like early 20s?

i don't really consider myself to be immature...I even got a job as a mailman last summer when I was 18 because the postmaster said I was wise beyond my years....and being only 5'8, 140 lbs, it wasn't easy carrying a huge sack of letters and boxes from house to house. Not easy drivin that truck either.

I guess I just tend to comment on some things that catch my attention off the bat... I mean the visors are pretty cool ...and yeah i think flying is awesome but it doesn't mean that i'm losing sight of the army's mission. I'm thinking you guys aren't much older than me...like early 20s?

Being ex-Army myself I'll say that proper sentence structure goes a long way to being a good military officer, which you'll be if you get a plum assignment like WOFT. You might want to work on that a little. But you're just a whippersnapper, so you have some time. I would imagine most on here are older than early 20's. I'm 37 and I know there are a few older than me.

• Like 1

All these folks getting spooled up over a high schooler interested in woft.

Shindig. If your truly interested in joining the Army, do some research before you jump on the forums and ask questions like "what do most people join the Army for?" or make statements about "how cool our visors are". I can't really take you seriously when you aren't taking the program or our community seriously.

Ok well I have a serious question then....if i enlist first what type of enlisted job would allow me to fly with the helicopter pilot..like the equiv. of a flight engineer type job? Is there an Army MOS for that? If there is does that person sit in the cockpit by the pilot or in the back somewhere?

If driving a postal truck was a challenge you may want to explore other options.

• Like 6

I'm not saying its easy. I'm saying its easier. It's the reality. I went through the last board forum on this site, May I think....it was a almost 90% selection. A guy i know in the reserves got in meeting the minimums and he had no degree at all. Just because you don't like hearing it doesnt mean its not true. I have no disrespect toward the Army ...my dad served in vietnam...for only 1 yr in 'nam thank god. And yes I would love to be a fighter pilot but I admit I'm not going to spend my whole life trying to get in either. I would still love to still fly helos especially it if means flying in the near future.

Yup, 88.5% which is way above normal - usually it's less than half that number.

Look kid, WOCS doesn't require a degree because somewhere along the line the Army figured out that experience means as much, if not more, than education. That being said, from what I understand you need a degree to be seriously considered for advancement in this field. On top of that, to balance out the lack of a degree you need an excellent SIFT score, very strong letters of recommendation, and a very high APFT. Oh, and a fantastic essay about why you want to be an Army aviator.

From what you're saying, that last part is going to sink you.

Become a WO is not an easy route. It sure isn't easier than being some 18 year old kid who gets a AFROTC scholarship. Most of the guys you see flying helicopters have been doing the Army game for years, and are the cream of the crop. Creep0321 was Marine recon before making this jump, I've been a scout in the Army for over 7 years before switching to WO. StockTrader left a very lucrative career and took a massive pay cut to get his dream job. Most of the guys you see are former platoon sergeants or squad leaders with multiple combat deployments as infantrymen, artillerymen, etc... and have been through a lot more than your average academy grad from Colorado Springs or Annapolis. Given the high test scores required to attend flight school, it isn't a stretch to imagine that most Army WOs would do very well at those schools if they attended.

Becoming a WO in the Army isn't what you do if you're not smart enough to get into college. You will not do well on the ASVAB, you will not do well on the SIFT, your board will hate you and USAREC will not select you as you stand right now. I sure as hell wouldn't want you in my WOCS class let alone at the controls of a multi-million dollar helicopter next to me.

Figure your sh*t out, have your "come to Jesus" moment, and re-evaluate why you think the Army would want you.