2631 replies to this topic

#41 SCflyer

SCflyer

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 00:17

i don't really consider myself to be immature...I even got a job as a mailman last summer when I was 18 because the postmaster said I was wise beyond my years....and being only 5'8, 140 lbs, it wasn't easy carrying a huge sack of letters and boxes from house to house.  Not easy drivin that truck either.

I guess I just tend to comment on some things that catch my attention off the bat...  I mean the visors are pretty cool ...and yeah i think flying is awesome but it doesn't mean that i'm losing sight of the army's mission. I'm thinking you guys aren't much older than me...like early 20s?

Being ex-Army myself I'll say that proper sentence structure goes a long way to being a good military officer, which you'll be if you get a plum assignment like WOFT.  You might want to work on that a little. But you're just a whippersnapper, so you have some time.  I would imagine most on here are older than early 20's.  I'm 37 and I know there are a few older than me.

#42 Shindig

Shindig

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Army woft pilot being in band and drums and spending time with mom and grandpa.
  • Company working for:ex usps

Posted 19 May 2015 - 00:28

All these folks getting spooled up over a high schooler interested in woft.

Shindig. If your truly interested in joining the Army, do some research before you jump on the forums and ask questions like "what do most people join the Army for?" or make statements about "how cool our visors are". I can't really take you seriously when you aren't taking the program or our community seriously.

Ok well I have a serious question then....if i enlist first what type of enlisted job would allow me to fly with the helicopter pilot..like the equiv. of a flight engineer type job?  Is there an Army MOS for that?  If there is does that person sit in the cockpit by the pilot or in the back somewhere?

view fear as a go sign toward a fullfilled life and not a stop sign

#43 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Firearms, and Freedom.
  • Company working for:CH47F Instructor Pilot.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:09

15U

#44 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:00

i don't really consider myself to be immature...I even got a job as a mailman last summer when I was 18 because the postmaster said I was wise beyond my years....and being only 5'8, 140 lbs, it wasn't easy carrying a huge sack of letters and boxes from house to house.  Not easy drivin that truck either.

I guess I just tend to comment on some things that catch my attention off the bat...  I mean the visors are pretty cool ...and yeah i think flying is awesome but it doesn't mean that i'm losing sight of the army's mission. I'm thinking you guys aren't much older than me...like early 20s?

If driving a postal truck was a challenge you may want to explore other options.
  • UgleeBarnacle, Creep0321, Ritter and 2 others like this

#45 USCav19D

USCav19D

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:H-60M and H-60M accessories.
  • Company working for:AMERICA.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:36

I'm not saying its easy. I'm saying its easier. It's the reality. I went through the last board forum on this site, May I think....it was a almost 90% selection.  A guy i know in the reserves got in meeting the minimums and he had no degree at all. Just because you don't like hearing it doesnt mean its not true. I have no disrespect toward the Army ...my dad served in vietnam...for only 1 yr in 'nam thank god.  And yes I would love to be a fighter pilot but I admit I'm not going to spend my whole life trying to get in either. I would still love to still fly helos especially it if means flying in the near future.

Yup, 88.5% which is way above normal - usually it's less than half that number.

Look kid, WOCS doesn't require a degree because somewhere along the line the Army figured out that experience means as much, if not more, than education. That being said, from what I understand you need a degree to be seriously considered for advancement in this field. On top of that, to balance out the lack of a degree you need an excellent SIFT score, very strong letters of recommendation, and a very high APFT. Oh, and a fantastic essay about why you want to be an Army aviator.

From what you're saying, that last part is going to sink you. 

Become a WO is not an easy route. It sure isn't easier than being some 18 year old kid who gets a AFROTC scholarship. Most of the guys you see flying helicopters have been doing the Army game for years, and are the cream of the crop. Creep0321 was Marine recon before making this jump, I've been a scout in the Army for over 7 years before switching to WO. StockTrader left a very lucrative career and took a massive pay cut to get his dream job. Most of the guys you see are former platoon sergeants or squad leaders with multiple combat deployments as infantrymen, artillerymen, etc... and have been through a lot more than your average academy grad from Colorado Springs or Annapolis. Given the high test scores required to attend flight school, it isn't a stretch to imagine that most Army WOs would do very well at those schools if they attended.

Becoming a WO in the Army isn't what you do if you're not smart enough to get into college. You will not do well on the ASVAB, you will not do well on the SIFT, your board will hate you and USAREC will not select you as you stand right now. I sure as hell wouldn't want you in my WOCS class let alone at the controls of a multi-million dollar helicopter next to me. 

Figure your sh*t out, have your "come to Jesus" moment, and re-evaluate why you think the Army would want you. 

#46 Shindig

Shindig

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Army woft pilot being in band and drums and spending time with mom and grandpa.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:39

If driving a postal truck was a challenge you may want to explore other options.

a female? Nice.

#47 USCav19D

USCav19D

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:40

a female? Nice.

I have a feeling you get all sorts of excited when you hear a girl talking on Xbox live.

• Lindsey, KING, A-aron and 1 other like this

#48 Tesla

Tesla

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:47

Do I have to give my "I'm 18, don't act special" speech as well?

#49 USCav19D

USCav19D

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:53

Please, the circlejerk isn't complete until everyone's getting off. 

• Won2Be and dlogan17 like this

#50 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:08

a female? Nice.

Mindblowing, isn't it.

• ee15, A-aron, USCav19D and 1 other like this

#51 Eaglegrad07

Eaglegrad07

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:UH60 A/L Pilot

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:25

There's no way this kid is serious. Each comment digs that hole deeper and deeper.

• Joe_P148 likes this

#52 StockTrader

StockTrader

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Baseball, Helicopters
  • Company working for:CW2, US Army, 64 Driver

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:27

a female? Nice.

Not just that, but a cream of the crop WO who has helped more than her fair share of people on this forum. Myself included.

#53 Yamer

Yamer

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Company working for:Army National Guard

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:10

This thread has just made my morning! Thank you everyone lmao
  • raider8071 likes this
"If one engine fails, how far can the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash!"

#54 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:12

Not just that, but a cream of the crop WO who has helped more than her fair share of people on this forum. Myself included.

Let's not get crazy now :)

#55 walkerman180

walkerman180

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:37

a female? Nice.

I kind of hope this kid is serious and he actually joins the Army, and subsequently gets an Article 15 for being such a little prick haha

• USCav19D likes this

#56 Caelus

Caelus

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:39

This thread has made my whole day

I don't know what I'm talking about. I've never even touched a helicopter.

#57 Shindig

Shindig

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:46

I have thick skin, I can take it.... Seems my comments about army selection took some of you the wrong way ... And some maybe offended. Or maybe some of you want to have this notion of being an exclusive bunch. Heck I don't know. Was just making an observation ...it wasn't meant to set people off.

And then the visor stuff made all hell break lose .... Geez I'm just making a few comments. I'm not trying to get everyone upset.

#58 squid

squid

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:04

reading this post the only thing that comes to mind is Harry Potter,

TROLL IN THE DUNGEON! thought you ought to know. **passes out dramatically**

Shindig, pro tip for you, when you find yourself in a hole the first step is to stop digging

#59 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:56

I have thick skin, I can take it.... Seems my comments about army selection took some of you the wrong way ... And some maybe offended. Or maybe some of you want to have this notion of being an exclusive bunch. Heck I don't know. Was just making an observation ...it wasn't meant to set people off.

And then the visor stuff made all hell break lose .... Geez I'm just making a few comments. I'm not trying to get everyone upset.

My experience is that Army aviation is a very exclusive bunch. Even in the Vietnam era it was exclusive, when having enough warm bodies in the seats, only one in ten of the group trying to et into WOFT when I was in process succeeded. Not to mention those who couldn't get that far and ended up taking another MOS.

Then, about a half of the starting class cycled back or were otherwise eliminated (My class started with 260+ candidates and graduated 137)...

It is much tougher now and the aviators I meet are very, very capable individuals and professional aviators, pretty much career soldiers.

Edited by Wally, 19 May 2015 - 11:00.

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#60 wm200

wm200

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:58

lol

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

PrecisionVRForumHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016NFCVRForum200HomeGenesys VR Forum 200DevoreHome200Able_VRHOme200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeHelmet FX Home 200