Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

I have thick skin, I can take it.... Seems my comments about army selection took some of you the wrong way ... And some maybe offended. Or maybe some of you want to have this notion of being an exclusive bunch. Heck I don't know. Was just making an observation ...it wasn't meant to set people off.

And then the visor stuff made all hell break lose .... Geez I'm just making a few comments. I'm not trying to get everyone upset.

reading this post the only thing that comes to mind is Harry Potter,

TROLL IN THE DUNGEON! thought you ought to know. **passes out dramatically**

Shindig, pro tip for you, when you find yourself in a hole the first step is to stop digging

I have thick skin, I can take it.... Seems my comments about army selection took some of you the wrong way ... And some maybe offended. Or maybe some of you want to have this notion of being an exclusive bunch. Heck I don't know. Was just making an observation ...it wasn't meant to set people off.

And then the visor stuff made all hell break lose .... Geez I'm just making a few comments. I'm not trying to get everyone upset.

My experience is that Army aviation is a very exclusive bunch. Even in the Vietnam era it was exclusive, when having enough warm bodies in the seats, only one in ten of the group trying to et into WOFT when I was in process succeeded. Not to mention those who couldn't get that far and ended up taking another MOS.

Then, about a half of the starting class cycled back or were otherwise eliminated (My class started with 260+ candidates and graduated 137)...

It is much tougher now and the aviators I meet are very, very capable individuals and professional aviators, pretty much career soldiers.

Edited by Wally

My experience is that Army aviation is a very exclusive bunch. Even in the Vietnam era it was exclusive, when having enough warm bodies in the seats, only one in ten of the group trying to et into WOFT when I was in process succeeded. Not to mention those who couldn't get that far and ended up taking another MOS.

Then, about a half of the starting class cycled back or were otherwise eliminated (My class started with 260+ candidates and graduated 137)...

It is much tougher now and the aviators I meet are very, very capable individuals and professional aviators, pretty much career soldiers.

A warrant pilot More exclusive than a green beret or 2nd Lt ?

Shindig, when you were looking at those requirements and the civilian acceptance rate, did you take into account the statistics of those applying? I'm at Rucker about to start primary. I can tell you right now I know maybe 3 street to seaters that got accepted to WOFT with no degree and were under the age of 21. One of them, lets face it, had connections. This person scored enough to pass everything, but had some stellar letters of recommendation. That person has some good mentors and is a generally likable person. The second one had some college credit hours, a stellar personality, a humble attitude, excellent LOR's and some above average test scores. The third one was a cocky little prick that had multiple chances given to him and he pissed everyone off to the point they re-classed him 11B and kicked him out of WOCS.

• Like 2

The point is, WOFT isn't EASY to get into. Sometimes a young kid with very little experience gets in but that is not the norm at all. Street to seaters already face an uphill struggle, even the ones with flight time and masters degrees. Those younger kids who do get in face even more adversity to gain the acceptance of their peers (most of us are at least mid 20's and college educated and/or prior service). You are going from zero to in charge of a 20 million dollar bird and 3+ lives inside 2 years. That takes some maturity. Hell half of us on this forum had the other options. I had the Navy, the Air Force, and the Air National Guard at my finger tips. The Navy was ready to send my packet to the board literally one week after I was accepted to this. Be here because you want to be here. Don't do it because it seems easy, you could regret it the rest of your life.

A warrant pilot More exclusive than a green beret or 2nd Lt ?

You're not a "green beret" or a butter-bar, you think being a mail man is pretty macho and you will interpret that as you like.

Edited by Wally

Well Im not sure Iim having as much fun as you all .... But being exclusive was brought up ... So my question was whether being a pilot as a warrant is more exclusive than a non-pilot 2nd lt for example and a green beret for example. I mean especially with a beret those who make it through the rigors are a select few from what I know ....

I never said getting into Woft was easy but with a 60% on avg acceptance or even a little lower like many believe ... Let's just say 40% .... That's not terribly difficult. Seriously it's not like getting intoHarvard and most civilian jobs you may have 5 or more apps for one job. The bottom line is that if you are medically and morally fit to join the military and you have a college degree, have a few credible military folks who can vouche for you and are reasonably smart, you can get in. I don't consider that incredibly hard. Easy? No.

And yea I don't have a college degree but I'll get there. And by the way, my math is just fine ... I scored a 92 on ASVAB and a 126 gt. I'm not a dummy like some of you might perceive me to be.

Adding my 2 cents, I personally don't get the love of fixed wing. I've heard the most ridiculous questions like: "Oh, can I fly fixed wing in the Army?! I really hope so!" or some such crap. rotor wing aircraft can do so much more than fixed wing! They are SO useful in what the army does. During my time in AF ROTC, I heard the drum beat of unmanned aircraft all over the place. So many fighter rated pilots are being switched to the UAV segment (and they are NOT happy about it from what I hear). But the world of fixed wing aviation is moving in the unmanned direction very quickly. I don't think rotorcraft will get there in my lifetime for the army's mission.

Also, so much of the fixed wing mission is high and fast while the rotorcraft mission requires low altitude and interesting missions. I mean, months of high altitude CAPs is not my idea of a good time. I'll take rotorcraft EVERY day of the week. I'd sell my house and all my possessions if that would get me a set of orders in the mail come september... I wish I'd have started 5 years ago...

Just one man's opinion but, rotorcraft are the most awesome machines EVER (except maybe the space shuttle but that's not even an option anymore...)! WHY did they have to move the July board date!!!?? I think I need a nap... :)

• Like 1

Shindig, you're forgetting that those numbers come from the pool of qualified applicants.

Bottom line is this: we know more about this than you do.

Maybe you're ego is overinflated or you are dillusional .... Take ur pick.