Do most Army soldiers want aviation?

Shindig, when you were looking at those requirements and the civilian acceptance rate, did you take into account the statistics of those applying? I'm at Rucker about to start primary. I can tell you right now I know maybe 3 street to seaters that got accepted to WOFT with no degree and were under the age of 21. One of them, lets face it, had connections. This person scored enough to pass everything, but had some stellar letters of recommendation. That person has some good mentors and is a generally likable person. The second one had some college credit hours, a stellar personality, a humble attitude, excellent LOR's and some above average test scores. The third one was a cocky little prick that had multiple chances given to him and he pissed everyone off to the point they re-classed him 11B and kicked him out of WOCS.

No I haven't .... What are the stats of those applying? ... you tell me

Well Im not sure Iim having as much fun as you all .... But being exclusive was brought up ... So my question was whether being a pilot as a warrant is more exclusive than a non-pilot 2nd lt for example and a green beret for example. I mean especially with a beret those who make it through the rigors are a select few from what I know ....

I never said getting into Woft was easy but with a 60% on avg acceptance or even a little lower like many believe ... Let's just say 40% .... That's not terribly difficult. Seriously it's not like getting intoHarvard and most civilian jobs you may have 5 or more apps for one job. The bottom line is that if you are medically and morally fit to join the military and you have a college degree, have a few credible military folks who can vouche for you and are reasonably smart, you can get in. I don't consider that incredibly hard. Easy? No.

And yea I don't have a college degree but I'll get there. And by the way, my math is just fine ... I scored a 92 on ASVAB and a 126 gt. I'm not a dummy like some of you might perceive me to be.

WHAT?! A 92 ON THE ASVAB?! WHAT ARE YOU EINSTEIN'S DIRECT DESCENDANT?!

You need a Drill Sergeant to show you some humility son. I retract my previous statement, please, for the love of all things great and hilarious in this world, join the infantry, and call me when you ship off so I can watch you get your bawls smoked off.

• Like 1

WHAT?! A 92 ON THE ASVAB?! WHAT ARE YOU EINSTEIN'S DIRECT DESCENDANT?!

You need a Drill Sergeant to show you some humility son. I retract my previous statement, please, for the love of all things great and hilarious in this world, join the infantry, and call me when you ship off so I can watch you get your bawls smoked off.

No I just meant that I'm not a dummy like Ii may be perceived to be ...

Shindig, what are you on about? If you want to fly fixed wing, go AFROTC or join the Navy. Just decide and pursue. its that simple. If you go through the process you will see just how exclusive the selection pool is from the beginning. If you look at the forum and see what people have, you will see most people already have very high qualifications. If you are not up there, you won't get in.

Alot of people simply don't have the focus to go through the endless application process or don't know about the program. A high percentage of a relatively low number of applications (and seriously, we are talking about a single program for the entire American population, its a VERY low number of applications) means a high percentage is still not alot of slots. The question is supply and demand. If the army needs to fill slots, they'll make sure you WILL get in. If they don't need to fill slots, you probably won't: supply and demand.

As it is, if you don't WANT rotorcraft (that is, you are taking the perceived path of least resistance) you probably won't make it past BCT. Warrant officers are professionals. They are supposed to set the standard of excellence that all of their subordinates are to follow. Its a huge responsibility. You aren't applying to a civilian flight school. You are applying to be a leader in the Army. If you don't take that seriously, if you don't uphold your leadership responsibility as your first priority, I suggest you go elsewhere. Just something to think about.

• Like 2

If the number of people selected on this board is your gage, you're dead wrong.

I drop a four year full ride to Tulane to enlist in the USMC Infantry. Don't regret it at all.

I am now a Warrant Officer in the Army.

"Just wanting to fly" is not what makes Army Aviators. That is what makes pilots. Army Aviation support the ground troops. This isn't a selfish job.

I recruited for four years. People want Infantry, people want supply. People want to ride on boats think flying is dumb. I hate boats and love flying air assault.

I also work at a military school and have 120 ROTC Cadets and 22 kids, like your self, "were interested" in taking the SIFT. Five actually went. I realistically think that only one will actually be an Army Aviator.

Don't confuse a direct flight path like WOFT with being easier than going to East Manukee State ROTC in the USAF for four years and then flying KC135s.

The Army realizes that your basket weaving degree doesn't guarantee you'll be a better aviator. They take into consideration a warrior spirit over punk kids "who just want to fly"

Well Im not sure Iim having as much fun as you all .... But being exclusive was brought up ... So my question was whether being a pilot as a warrant is more exclusive than a non-pilot 2nd lt for example and a green beret for example. I mean especially with a beret those who make it through the rigors are a select few from what I know ....

I never said getting into Woft was easy but with a 60% on avg acceptance or even a little lower like many believe ... Let's just say 40% .... That's not terribly difficult. Seriously it's not like getting intoHarvard and most civilian jobs you may have 5 or more apps for one job. The bottom line is that if you are medically and morally fit to join the military and you have a college degree, have a few credible military folks who can vouche for you and are reasonably smart, you can get in. I don't consider that incredibly hard. Easy? No.

And yea I don't have a college degree but I'll get there. And by the way, my math is just fine ... I scored a 92 on ASVAB and a 126 gt. I'm not a dummy like some of you might perceive me to be.

Do you write comedy full time or just here? Tosh got nothin' on you...

Do you write comedy full time or just here? Tosh got nothin' on you...

No just being me and tryin to communicate my point ...

You know may be some of you were fed a silver spoon ... But that definitely wasn't me. My father served in the nam for a year and I loved him like any son would and vice versa ... But he was also the dad I never knew since he was a raging alcoholic... My mother would cry sometimes when she came home from day care job. My point being is that I made my own way, stayed out of trouble and after school would either be working or in band practice, but mostly working. Often times I would have to give my parents money ... Because they were in debt or because I felt the need to help pay my dads medical bills. And no this isn't a joke ... I'm not a comedian nor would I know how to be one ..and I'm not looking for sympathy either ... Ill be just fine in life

Just stop. Come back in like 3 years. Your chances are nil.

I notice your always attacking my comments ... And disregarding the other ones ...why don't you just kick up your high heels and fly off into the sunset

• Like 1

You may want to consider that several senior Warrant Officers who sit on the USAREC board (read: actually decide if you get in or not) read these forums. You are making a fool of yourself. If, in fact, you are not actually a troll.

• Like 1

You may want to consider that several senior Warrant Officers who sit on the USAREC board (read: actually decide if you get in or not) read these forums. You are making a fool of yourself. If, in fact, you are not actually a troll.

Whatever... Maybe you should quit instigating then and tryin to gain the acceptance of others

Stop making us young kids look bad. everyone that's replying to you knows more about WOFT and Army life in general then you do. You have one big advantage over the other people, and that is time. The 18 year olds are the people that the Army invests in for the long term. from one dumb kid to another, my advice is for you to shut up. Shut your damn mouth and open your ears. WOFT is not easy. You are going to start your Army career with a target on your back. Everything is against you, and it's critical to start off with a good first impression. If you are pissing Army pilots off on an Internet forum, how can you expect to gain their trust in person in that cockpit?

Please be a troll.

• Like 1

Shindig,

Today's entertainment is brought to you by a Narcissistic teenager broadcasting from mom's basement.

Making a comment like that to a female soldier/aviator who, if you ever find your sorry ass in the Army, would be your superior, would be something I would pay to watch.

Your comments are not worth a second of her time, and I don't see her having any problems gaining acceptance from others. You see she is busy becoming an Army Aviator while you are playing at the only thing your good at, fishing for a reaction on the internet, sounds like a great life, have another Mountain Dew and party on.

You know may be some of you were fed a silver spoon ... But that definitely wasn't me. My father served in the nam for a year and I loved him like any son would and vice versa ... But he was also the dad I never knew since he was a raging alcoholic... My mother would cry sometimes when she came home from day care job. My point being is that I made my own way, stayed out of trouble and after school would either be working or in band practice, but mostly working. Often times I would have to give my parents money ... Because they were in debt or because I felt the need to help pay my dads medical bills. And no this isn't a joke ... I'm not a comedian nor would I know how to be one ..and I'm not looking for sympathy either ... Ill be just fine in life

You can drop the poor poor pitiful me routine. There are a lot of us that have had hardship in life and the right attitude is to look at all the good things you had not the bad. I would challenge you to read through some of the stories people have posted even 3 or 4 years ago. I guarantee you read some of them and you will not feel to bad about your own story.

The big thing that you need to learn is respect. I don't know your story or how much you have been around the forum but there are some very squared away people here. Some great people that will go out of their way to help you be successful. You coming in here, not thinking before you post and not understanding that these people have been there done that, will frustrate just about anyone. The people behind these usernames have done what you want to do and more, so it would be wise to respect and ask nicely not mock them. Seek fist to understand then to be understood.

If your father was "in-country" he knows every day you wake up intact means yesterday was a good day, although it might not have been free and easy. You are lucky to be here, especially if you really are 18 or 19. Yer Ol' Man is something...

Now- Go and do something with what he gave you. Show us what you got, kid. Talk is cheap, respect is not. So far, you talk a lot...

Edited by Wally

Finally a respectable post thank you.

As a general rule of thumb for life it is typically not good form to go into a room chock full of relatively experienced dudes and tell them that getting selected for their job is easy with out having done it yourself. Add in the fact that your entire work history is basically that of a part-time mail man....

...Now that's just ballsy

As a general rule of thumb for life it is typically not good form to go into a room chock full of relatively experienced dudes and tell them that getting selected for their job is easy with out having done it yourself. Add in the fact that your entire work history is basically that of a part-time mail man....

...Now that's just ballsy

here we go again ... Read the posts and for the record, I didn't say it was easy. I said it's not as selective as some of the other services..... But I'm not downplaying anything about the Army ... Just stating as matter of fact

here we go again ... Read the posts and for the record, I didn't say it was easy. I said it's not as selective as some of the other services..... But I'm not downplaying anything about the Army ... Just stating as matter of fact

What fact do you speak of old wise one? Cause you have mentioned precisely zero facts to support your claim.

I didn't say it was easy. I said it's not as selective as some of the other services..... But I'm not downplaying anything about the Army ... Just stating as matter of fact

The Army is just as selective as the other branches, what you think of as less selective is because of the number of pilots needed, the selection criteria is the same if not higher. Because there may be a 50 to 60% selection, it's due to the fact that many packets are not completed or found to be competitive, many are weeded out before they ever meet a board.

You can't compare the other services, they don't have the same system as the Army, they do not have Warrant Pilots. If you were to go to the Air Force Academy or AFROTC, your chances of becoming a pilot are higher then applying for Army WOFT. Applying to be a pilot is the same for every service, getting to the point where you can apply may be a bit tougher for the other services because you have to complete a 4 year degree. Just be aware that most that are accepted to WOFT have either some college or a full degree or come from prior service, nothing easier about it. Most that start a WOFT packet never complete them, it's not an easy application and it takes time, ask anyone here who has done it.

Just so you realize, getting selected for WOFT is the easy part, completing and passing flight school is something different altogether.

As far as everyone wanting to be a pilot in the Army, not even close. At West Point and ROTC, Infantry is the hardest branch to get besides Aviation. There is a reason the Army Aviation's slogan is "Above the Best", one of the main missions of Army Aviation is to support the Infantry.

If your serious, and not just wasting everyone's time by trolling around in here to kill time, then you need to do a lot more research and stop starting threads that ask if everyone wants to be a pilot. Through all your posts you haven't even begun to ask about the process or for advice on how to complete a competitive packet, instead you ask silly questions that sound like your fishing for comments.

1) You aren't the one to make that assessment. You haven't done either. Nor do you have the stats to back that up.

2) You said it was easier than the other services. Not true. It's kind of apples and oranges. The Marines like higher PFTs because Marine OCS has a high attrition rate due to the sheer physicality, and in the event that an officer fails out of flight school, one might end up in a combat arms MOS. My ASTB score and GPA were essentially pass/fail. The Navy likes candidates with STEM degrees and high GPA/ASTB scores, which increases chances of success at flight school, and in the event that one fails out of flight school they will be successful at being a SWO, Nuke, Sub, or EOD officer - which have a lot of engineering involved. All the services use statistics and models to ensure the candidate that has the best chance for success is in the seat for training.

• Like 2