Hawaii vacation

Well, the family has selected Hawaii as the target destination for this year's family vacation. I would like help from anyone interested in making suggestions to identify the best location. We'll be traveling from Atlanta. I would like to avoid the Urban hustle & bustle and I'd also like to take one of those super-scenic helicopter tours. Again, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

• Like 2

Check into renting a house on Maui just north of Kaanapali. Close to the tourest action, but far enough away to not have the crowds.

Of course, we took a family flight on a EC 130 WhisperStar through Sunshine Helicopters to Molokai. Good tour and they land at Molokai for sodas. Next time, I'd skip Molokai as you are spend about 1/3 tour over water at about 2000 feet.

We booked through their 800 number. Big sales pitch, no suprise. They led be to belive that at the time we selected we would have the ship to ourselves ( 2 adults, 2 teens.)

When we arrived we discovered they told another couple (arrived by limo,) that they would be the only passingers ..... but we were all flying together!! We got the back ( elevated seats made good view) and they got the front.

Kind of a bummer for them as it was their anniversary and he wanted to suprise her with chocolate strawberrys and champage on Molokai. And we were there!! Guy was super cool as he ordered extra food for us and made us feel like his extended family.

Watch those salespeople!

I like Kaui, less people. If you went there, or the Big Island, you could see if Mauna Loa Helicopters would let you take up one of their 22s or 44s? You'd probably have a CFI with you but it would be cooler than just riding in a Eurocopter!

Kauai provides me with all I need for a Hawaiian vacation. Fewer tourists, tropical “Jurassic Park” environment, enough activities to satisfy the family, lagoon type of beach with waves and, friends who are locals…. And, while Kauai is the only Hawaiian island I’ve taken a helicopter tour, I can’t imagine any other of the islands being able to match the scenery… However, the volcano on the Big Island is probably pretty cool if you’re into that kind of thing….. Plus, no tour operator will let you fly, but I think you know that already……….With that, consider yourself fortunate to get a front seat……

Edited by Spike

I would definitely prefer right seat in a 44. I'll look into Kaui. Thanks.

Yes on Kaui, big thumbs up. Yes you can rent an R44 at Lihue, I did it a few years ago. Took up one of their pilots so I didn't have to do any check out and he knew where to fly..they also fly the island using a different freq, and clock wise..

So much to see and so kick back beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...