Laser Strike Protection Review

Astro

I tried out my second pair of laser strike protection glasses the other night. They're green which protects against red/green/blue lasers, but are a bit darker than my previous pair making them a little harder to see through at night, but I could still see pretty well (well enough to make an approach to a sparsely lighted part of the airport) They put the world in a soft green glow (much easier on my eyes) which is kinda weird, but cool.

My previous pair were orange which only protects against green/blue lasers, but lets in more visible light making them easier to see through at night. The problem was the orange color kind of bothered my eyes. It did make the world look like it was on fire though which was sort of trippie!

I wear prescription glasses so I got these in a flip-up clip-on design. The idea (hope) being that I can flip them down at the first sight of a laser before I get hit in the eye?

Having seen a few lasers (but fortunately never having had one hit the cockpit) I'd been contemplating getting these for a while. What got me to finally get them was an incident a couple months ago where a local pilot was hit by a green laser sending him to the hospital afterwards due to a "tingling" in his eyes. Apparently green lasers can actually damage your eyes!

So, one more thing to protect against! Douchebags with laser pointers!

Thanks for the feedback. We all are in danger of a dumbass with a laser. I have been hit now several times and once right in the eyes. Its not fun at all. The FAA laser reporting program is a joke, so few people are caught or prosecuted for the crime.

We have to do what we can to protect ourselves and those whom we could hurt if suddenly blinded.

Thanks for the feedback. We all are in danger of a dumbass with a laser. I have been hit now several times and once right in the eyes. Its not fun at all. The FAA laser reporting program is a joke, so few people are caught or prosecuted for the crime.

We have to do what we can to protect ourselves and those whom we could hurt if suddenly blinded.

The FAA laser report is the last thing you should do. The FBI does investigate, arrest and prosecute. Yes, you have to get thru the bureaucracy to get to the right agent, but he takes it very seriously. In the Los Angeles area, the Sheriff Aero Bureau is the lead agency and coordinates all laser strikes in the area. Which is probably why we send a lot of the offenders to jail down here. We also have the biggest problem with LAX having a record number of strikes. If you work in an area with a laser problem and no action, get together with the feds and the local agency and make stuff happen. If you need contact info, pm me.

• Like 1

Thanks Goldy.

I just had my Class 1 medical done last week. Had the doc take a closer look at my eyes and he was satisfied they were ok. However this issue is serious to all of us. I wish we could do more.

One night a "tallon" was working in my vicinity lights out. ( Apache ). I had heard him on with the local ATC and knew they monitor GA freqs when doing LO Ops. I was hit momentarily from someone on the ground. The laser was very steady versus shakey. Makes me assume it was weapon mounted vs handheld.
I called up the tallon, and they answered. I mentioned my issue, and I swear he chuckled as he replied that they were all over it for me.

They never located the SOB, but I was wishing they had. Nothing like having the option to sic an apache on a guy like that.

Edited by vertrefadmin

I am eagerly awaiting the day I hear a story on the local news of some douche pointing a laser at an LE chopper, who in turn thinks its someone training a laser sight on them and shoots down at that laser sending the jackass to the hospital. Maybe then we could rid ourselves of these assholes! Then all we'd have to worry about is drones.

My last agency, one of our crews got hit and yanked around, landed in the street and hooked the guy up

All-frickin' right!!!!

P.S. I needed something positive today. The pilot killed in Frisco CO was a friend, a good man, and the linch-pin of Local 109. Goodby and thanks, Pat.

Edited by Wally

My last agency, one of our crews got hit and yanked around, landed in the street and hooked the guy up

That's where I would want to work!!

All-frickin' right!!!!

P.S. I needed something positive today. The pilot killed in Frisco CO was a friend, a good man, and the linch-pin of Local 109. Goodby and thanks, Pat.

Sorry for your loss Wally. I didn't know him, but as always in this biz I know people who did. Just hate to see this..