OK, seriously..... I have contacted multiple FAA Inspectors as well as DPE's about getting an NVG IP endorsement. The Inspectors and DPEs only refer me to other DPEs or other Inspectors. Ive even contacted a couple schools who advertise NVG IP courses. They offer the courses, but you don't get an endorsement. They are offering the courses in hopes that the FAA will someday approve their syllabus, and if/when they do, you'll be granted an IP endorsement.

So...... where do I go to get an NVG IP endorsement?

I meet the requirements for the endorsement but I've had similar results. I met with one inspector at the fsdo who referred me to another inspector at a fsdo far away who never returned my calls or email. The last check flight I had the dpe looked at me like I was crazy and did nothing. I guess everyone is terrified to endorse this. I don't need the endorsement though so I wasn't going to invest any more time trying to get it. Good luck.

I havnt checked back lately. Per the FAA, there are no schools, nor any DPEs currently authorized to do NVG IP endorsements. The NVG IP endorsement is a logbook and experience admin review. There is no check ride involved. However, the 141 schools wont tell you that until you press them on it. Only an FAA Inspector can review your records and issue the endorsement. Sure these places can all do IP courses, but they aren't needed. If you meet the requirements set in the FARs, the endorsement is essentially yours.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just talked with someone I know at the FAA. He said that the intent behind that last paragraph (7, I think) was to ensure that NVG IPs weren't endorsing NVG IPs, only the FAA could endorse an NVG IP. He said that he knew of two guys (in all of the FAA) that could do the endorsement.

Eventually he'll be able to endorse, but he's been there a year and hasn't even started flying yet, so it'll be some time yet before I can take care of #1.

Any FSDO manager can designate an ASI as "best qualified". Flying has nothing to do with the endorsement. The ASI doing the endorsement doesn't even need to be an NVG qualified pilot or an IP himself. Ive been doing a lot of talking with the FAA, and Im making progress. Its just interesting to watch people continually just defer you to someone else. Whats even better is actually hearing a FSDO respond "Well, thats just how we've always done it" as a viable answer. It was extremely refreshing when I found someone who decided to grab on and work through this with me. Its actually an extremely simple process. It was just a matter of finding someone who was interested in it.

I wont even go down the road of the FAA guy who told me I needed to attend a specific flight school and bring him a certificate of completion from their $7500 course. :rolleyes:

Any FSDO manager can designate an ASI as "best qualified". Flying has nothing to do with the endorsement. The ASI doing the endorsement doesn't even need to be an NVG qualified pilot or an IP himself. Ive been doing a lot of talking with the FAA, and Im making progress. Its just interesting to watch people continually just defer you to someone else. Whats even better is actually hearing a FSDO respond "Well, thats just how we've always done it" as a viable answer. It was extremely refreshing when I found someone who decided to grab on and work through this with me. Its actually an extremely simple process. It was just a matter of finding someone who was interested in it.

I wont even go down the road of the FAA guy who told me I needed to attend a specific flight school and bring him a certificate of completion from their $7500 course. :rolleyes:

FP,

I spent the last four days at the Robinson factory teaching a course to them and participating in USHST face to face work shops in areas of concern that we are addressing.

I did take time to ask the head of AFS-800 about the confusion and issues with NVG IPs, etc.

He was aware of the problem and told me to contact a member of AFS-800 that was not present but was going to address all of this at Night Con.

http://www.nightcon.com/EVENTDETAILS/tabid/476/Default.aspx

I will PM you his email and you can use me as a reference along with his boss's name to get the truth and answers to all of your questions.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

The MD is so 2013 kid....... Now I have Jet Rangers and Hueys. After flying 500s.... the jet ranger is like climbing into a time machine and going back to 1955. The Huey... well... .when the last Lakota is flown to the bone yard, the crew will be flown home in a Huey :)

Edited by Flying Pig

• 3 months later...