FY 16 Budget Effects

Has anyone heard anything about the FY16 budget, whether it's been passed yet and if so how it affects aviation training?

I got an Aviation slot out of ROTC and my report date is January but I still haven't received my orders. My admin guy says that's due to the FY16 budget but I don't really know how that makes sense. I mean why would they need to see the budget to know whether or not to send me orders?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, info on how orders relate to the budget, whispering a around Rucker or AV Branch about next years budget, whispers about classes being cut or increased, etc.

Thanks.

Walk

• Like 1

I think some of it has to do with the fiscal year and where you will fit in. My son as you know is in the same boat.

One of my son's friends (not aviation) had an original date in Jan., he just recently received orders for October. Best bet is be ready for anything, you as well as my son could get orders moving your original date at any time. Makes it hard to make any plans but it seems they don't have all their ducks in a row yet.

It doesn't help that it seems like the pipeline is pretty backed up at Rucker right now.

• Like 1

I wonder as well whether the FY16 budget has even passed yet. I can't find any info on it. Anyone know where I could find info on it?

It looks like the House passed the original bill, but the Senate passed a version with changes that the House has yet to consider. Reference: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr1735

• Like 1

What are you talking about dude?

You need to stop worrying about stuff that is wayyyy over your paygrade.

You have your slot, the new budget drops around October.

Sometimes orders get dropped late but you'll get them before you ship, you have 6 months.

• Like 1

What are you talking about dude?

You need to stop worrying about stuff that is wayyyy over your paygrade.

You have your slot, the new budget drops around October.

Sometimes orders get dropped late but you'll get them before you ship, you have 6 months.

Whoa there, I'm not worried about anything over my pay grade. As a matter of fact I am worried about exactly that, my pay grade. I came up enlisted in the Army in time when guys with decades of experience were getting kicked out for trivial reasons, it's not so far fetched to think they might cut a few untrained LT's or reassign some away from expensive training regimens like AV if the budget isn't what it needs to be.

I'm just worried about having a job to support my family, not only that, but my wife and I are already moving to AL and if they are reducing the amount of pilots or something like that, I can see them changing some assignments around, meaning we are relocating only to relocate once again. So I'm asking if anyone has heard any whispers. THAT'S ALL.

I don't actually think this will happen, just looking for rumors, besides THIS IS JUST A FORUM. If you are taking what people say on here without a grain of salt you're kidding yourself. With that said, I am so grateful to people like Tradewinds, Lindsey, Stearman, etc who stay on this forum to provide people like me with valuable info despite having absolutely no obligation to do so.

So pump the brakes there, not trying to step on any CONGRESS-PERSON'S toes here.

Whoa there, I'm not worried about anything over my pay grade. As a matter of fact I am worried about exactly that, my pay grade. I came up enlisted in the Army in time when guys with decades of experience were getting kicked out for trivial reasons, it's not so far fetched to think they might cut a few untrained LT's or reassign some away from expensive training regimens like AV if the budget isn't what it needs to be.

I'm just worried about having a job to support my family, not only that, but my wife and I are already moving to AL and if they are reducing the amount of pilots or something like that, I can see them changing some assignments around, meaning we are relocating only to relocate once again. So I'm asking if anyone has heard any whispers. THAT'S ALL.

I don't actually think this will happen, just looking for rumors, besides THIS IS JUST A FORUM. If you are taking what people say on here without a grain of salt you're kidding yourself. With that said, I am so grateful to people like Tradewinds, Lindsey, Stearman, etc who stay on this forum to provide people like me with valuable info despite having absolutely no obligation to do so.

So pump the brakes there, not trying to step on any CONGRESS-PERSON'S toes here.

You're a brand new impatient LT.

Get your panties out of a bunch.

• Like 3

Impatient is not quite the right word, curious for any information is more like it. Sure didn't sound like anyones "Panties were in a bunch" Sounded like a reasonable question. When you see others with dates that are getting moved up with a couple weeks notice, and your trying to plan for your family, any information can help.

• Like 1

I probably came across as a dick, I have that effect on people. Sorry about that.

You have nothing to worry about, 6 months until you report. Give it some time you'll get your orders.

Regardless of the budget they will always put people through flight school.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

HRC is usually slow with orders, stay patient and don't freak. As long as you get them 90 days out you're golden.

My last deployment I received PCS orders on 1 JUN to redeploy to Campbell and be in California on 20 JUN. Try flying home from Iraq, packing up the house, clearing the post and driving cross country in 2 weeks. I had to call and ask for an additional 10 days cause there's no way that was happening (not when you have to sit in Ali Al Salem for 4 days waiting for a flight home anyway).

• Like 2

Don't expect much from HRC if Ms. Nolette is involved.

Damn, I misread this last week, thought you were saying she was some kind of awesome or whatever. Just found out she's my HRC contact, remembered this thread, went back to read it again, and was supremely disappointed that she's not a rockstar haha.

By the way, I received my orders. Thanks for all the info y'all.

Also, on a completely rhetorical note, anyone know a secret way to get to Ms. Nollette's heart? Box 'o Chocolates, candy hearts, etc? haha :ph34r:

Go to her briefings. I went yesterday and she asked if anyone had been to her briefings before. I said yes, about a year ago, and you'd have thought I invented a unicorn time machine age defying piece of magic. She went on and on and on about how her briefings are super important (...no comment...) etc etc. Go and sit through the two hours, make sure she remembers your face and name. Go again. Say hi again. Remind her you went last time. Yada yada.

• Like 1

Go to her briefings. I went yesterday and she asked if anyone had been to her briefings before. I said yes, about a year ago, and you'd have thought I invented a unicorn time machine age defying piece of magic. She went on and on and on about how her briefings are super important (...no comment...) etc etc. Go and sit through the two hours, make sure she remembers your face and name. Go again. Say hi again. Remind her you went last time. Yada yada.

When's the next one?