Disqualifying factors for Class 2 medical Cert

I recently started filling out paperwork for my Class 2 certification. Question 18 stopped me in my tracks because I voluntarily and successfully went through a drug and alcohol rehabilitation in the last 2 years. I have an appointment with the examiner next week and was wondering how long it will take for the deferment process to take place. I have no history with the law and no DUI's. Again this rehab was voluntary. Is there any reason my certification would be denied by Oklahoma? Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

"A diagnosis or medical history of substance dependence is disqualifying unless there is established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years. A history of substance abuse within the preceding 2 years is disqualifying. Substance includes alcohol and other drugs (i.e., PCP, sedatives and hynoptics, anxiolytics, marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, hallucinogens, and other psychoactive drugs or chemical."

I don't see any other way to interpret it. This is directly from the FAA. It is disqualifying. So yes, there is a very good reason that it would be denied. It is highly unlikely that you are going to get any type of waiver during the two year period.

It is very admirable that you identiefied a problem and took care of it. I'm taking it on face value that you are clean now. It also sounds like you are right at the 2 year mark so why not just wait untill the time elapes and apply then.

The problem I see however, is first, how would FAA know you were in voluntary rehab? Isn't that your private medical history? HIPA. As opposed to getting a DUI, etc. Next, would be proving that you have been clean for 2 years.

All of this assumes that there was some kind of public record that required and kept track of your rehab including some kind of regular followup for 2 years. How else would they know of your positive progress?

I don't know if there is a requirement for a private rehab facility to report patient records to the govenrment.

Heck, for all they know you entered rehab to meet woman :) Might be worth a call to a FAA experienced attorney.

I'll all for doing the right thing but at the same time this may open a can of worms that could have been left closed.

The problem I see however, is first, how would FAA know you were in voluntary rehab? Isn't that your private medical history? HIPA. As opposed to getting a DUI, etc. Next, would be proving that you have been clean for 2 years.

All of this assumes that there was some kind of public record that required and kept track of your rehab including some kind of regular followup for 2 years. How else would they know of your positive progress?

I agree that voluntary treatment is admirable, especially if one stays clean.

I would not, however, follow-up the compliment with advice to omit information on one's application. Not only is it dishonest, but dishonesty has a way of being found out. That is a sure way to get your medical revoked and a black mark from the FAA when they find out your application is fraudulent.

And HIPPA is not completely exclusive. Many things can be found out by such agencies as the FAA, quite easily to be honest.

Do not take the physical ! Right now you have not been denied a medical yet. What you need to do is talk to the regional flight surgeon were you live, I am in the NE, mine is a really good guy! I talked to him first about the problem I developed and it was pretty straight forward on what I had to do and what documentation I had to provide my AME. I did what was required and the Regional Flight Surgeon reviewed the documentation and I was issued a medical on a continued issuance basis! I am a type 2 diabetic. My guess with your problem you will need documentation as well and a history of sobriety! Talk to your Regional Flight Surgeon first, then do what would be required to gain a medical. The problem is not going to be with the FAA, per say, but with employers - pre employment drug testing and then random- how much of this has to be in the past is anybodies guess, I am sure it will have to be more than 2 years but don't hold me to that. Lots of people get in trouble with drugs and alcohol, you are not the first or the last in this regard! My guess you will have some extra hoops to jump thru, but Its doable, but the burden will be on you and flying is a tough road , you just have some extra bumps to contend with!