Need a little collective pilot brain power to evaluate this tour ban in NYC

So I'll skip all of the dumb stuff about people moving into an apartment next to a helipad and then complaining about the noise and just get to the meat of the help I need.

I was reading about the proposed ban and there was a mention of Stage 3 helicopter noise. Which is a table that lists how much noise a helicopter can make for it its size otherwise it's considered too noisy. I read the information from the FAA about the weight of the heli and for a typical turbine ship (assuming around 5000lbs MGW) the number is about 86 decibels.

Now I looked at a listing of helicopters based on their decible level and not a single helicopter fits into the category. Even the R22 seems to fail this test for helicopter noise (stage 3 is 83 decibles because of its size and its score is 86)

Am I missing some part of the equation? Can anyone shed any light on this subject because it seems like the FAA has created a classification for helicopters that doesn't include any helicopter.

http://www.htoplanning.com/docs/Town%20Documents/150203%20HTO%20November%202013%20-%20October%202014%20Aircraft%20Fleet%20with%20Published%20EPNdB%20Noise%20Levels%20Used%20in%20Evaluation.PDF

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aviation-international-news/2014-04-05/faa-issues-final-stage-3-helicopter-noise-rule

The articles that you linked reference existing helicopter noise, and the implementation of noise standards for new certification.

The FAA hasn't created a classification. Noise standards compliant with existing ICAO standards are what have been incorporated. The FAA has brought the definition and standard for new type designs of helicopters (read: future production aircraft) to match that of other countries that observe the ICAO international standard. That's all.

The Stage 3 standards do not impose any limitations on existing helicopters; existing helicopters are not mandated to be altered to meet stage 3 noise requirements.

Specifically, the article that you linked states:

The final rule does not require existing, noisier Stage 1 and Stage 2 helicopters to meet Stage 3 standards. The Helicopter Association International (HAI) and other trade groups had fought for this position. At the time of the release of the NPRM in 2012, HAI president Matt Zuccaro said, “Helicopters are major capital investments, so we also believe any FAA action should include a grandfather clause for existing helicopters to allow them to continue to fly for the remainder of their operational lives, and that the new noise certification standards should not affect access to airspace for legacy aircraft.”

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aviation-international-news/2014-04-05/faa-issues-final-stage-3-helicopter-noise-rule