Flight School Options?

Hi,

I am a mature fixed wing UK PPL who is looking to complete some rotary training to PPL level in the USA; I originally completed my fixed wing training in San Diego. I am seeking some advice on school / aircraft options that are currently available in the states.

The conundrum is that I am 6'6" and weigh 320lbs so not built for a R22! I have flown in, and prefer as I am not a robinson fan, a 269/300 but think it would be marginal to train in weight wise. So aside from the lose weight you fat bas***d, cut your legs off type of advise I am looking for some more helpful cost effective options that may be available in the current market.

TIA

Mervin

320lbs?

Well when I flew an Enstrom I was told it would hold three 200lbs people and a full tank of gas. I don't know if it still exists, but you could try the website. Bayhelicoptours. They had a few Enstroms at San Carlos just down from SFO?

:)

Depending on your belt-size you might not be able to apply full aft cyclic in many helicopters.

Your weight should not be an issue in the 269 but your instructor obviously should be rather lightweight. And when flying solo you will probably need sandbags in the right seat to avoid lateral CG out of limit. Your size will be more of a problem. What you want is a Bell 205. That is the right helicopter for you.

Edit: The 269 flight manual I have at hand states a 600lbs maximum cabin load. I recently flew 550lbs total in the cabin with two pax and around 70% go juice on a warm day around sea level. It was possible but marginal, not much fun. Not the way to go for initial training.

Hi,

I am a mature fixed wing UK PPL who is looking to complete some rotary training to PPL level in the USA; I originally completed my fixed wing training in San Diego. I am seeking some advice on school / aircraft options that are currently available in the states.

The conundrum is that I am 6'6" and weigh 320lbs so not built for a R22! I have flown in, and prefer as I am not a robinson fan, a 269/300 but think it would be marginal to train in weight wise. So aside from the lose weight you fat bas***d, cut your legs off type of advise I am looking for some more helpful cost effective options that may be available in the current market.

TIA

Mervin

Long ago (1983) I had a similarly built student in a 269B, worked well. Use the thinnest back rest pad you can find (don't remember the seat having an issue, but maybe, he was tall) and be careful of max weight... with twin tanks... in a B-model 269.

Thanks for the replies, I am 55 yrs old & ex military WSO (35 yrs & 9500hrs), I will find an Enstrom to have a look at in the UK and try it for size. I did enjoy a trip in a 300CB and like the feel of, what I believe to be, a proper cyclic setup as apposed to the Robbo. Keep the thoughts coming as they all help me think the quest through.