APFT Help

I have been trying to improve myself a bit before I start putting my package together I need help with PT.

My push-ups and sit-ups aren't too bad, I'm just slow. I can, best case, push out a 15:30, which puts me 24 points down. I need a 13:18 to max.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I run almost every day of the week, some days I do 3 miles, some days I do 30/30s. I'm just not seeing any improvement after about 2 months.

Any advice is appreciated.

It sounds like you may be over-training. Build in some dedicated rest days. Your body isn't gonna heal itself if you are running every day. That being said, mix in some repeats at your "goal pace." For example, if your goal pace is for a 13:15 2mile, do something like 1/8 or quarter mile at 6:37 ish pace, then recover for 1/8 or quarter mile. That will help build the speed you want. Schedule a dedicated long run day (5-7 miles) 1 day a week at an easy, easy pace. That will help with recovery and build some endurance. Sprints are great but going all out all the time is just going to burn you out. I have some other resources that can help build a running plan if you are app happy. Good luck.

• Like 1

It sounds like you may be over-training. Build in some dedicated rest days. Your body isn't gonna heal itself if you are running every day. That being said, mix in some repeats at your "goal pace." For example, if your goal pace is for a 13:15 2mile, do something like 1/8 or quarter mile at 6:37 ish pace, then recover for 1/8 or quarter mile. That will help build the speed you want. Schedule a dedicated long run day (5-7 miles) 1 day a week at an easy, easy pace. That will help with recovery and build some endurance. Sprints are great but going all out all the time is just going to burn you out. I have some other resources that can help build a running plan if you are app happy. Good luck.

Oh I am very app happy, I will try anything you are willing to share with me. I use run keeper to track my runs right now. I don't save them though, I delete my run after every workout.

I don't have a set running schedule, but as far as rest days go, I don't usually run Saturday and Sunday. Its one or the other most weeks.

I have tried running longer distances, but my sustainable pace is a 8:30-9 minute mile, and I get so frustrated with how slow i'm running, that I push myself to run faster and can rarely run more than 3 miles at a time.

I used to run 1540 2 miles three years ago. One day I went on a run and ran a 1500. I weighed 235lbs then. I started getting faster and faster. I would think about how I ran. I opened my stride more and controlled my breathing. I am 220lbs and I had my APFT today and ran a 1251. Push yourself and realize you can do it. I don't know maybe it's just a mental game for me. Different things work for everyone.

What the others said will definitely help. My running routine is very similar. One thing I will add you should do one day a week. On a treadmill (easiest to pace) set you speed at your goal pace (1300 should be 9.something) and run it for 2-3 min, then slow and jog for 2 min, then repeat until you have run at the 13min pace for a total of 13 min. The next week (if you chose to run fast for 2 min last week) run for 3 min then jog for 2 min and repeat etc... The next week you run for 4 min jog 2min. Then run 5 min jog 2 min... Etc... Before you know it, you will be at your 13 min pace for the whole 13 min!!! If you add this into your longer runs and whatever else you want to do, you will be surprised at how well it works! Hope this makes sense and is helpful!

What the others said will definitely help. My running routine is very similar. One thing I will add you should do one day a week. On a treadmill (easiest to pace) set you speed at your goal pace (1300 should be 9.something) and run it for 2-3 min, then slow and jog for 2 min, then repeat until you have run at the 13min pace for a total of 13 min. The next week (if you chose to run fast for 2 min last week) run for 3 min then jog for 2 min and repeat etc... The next week you run for 4 min jog 2min. Then run 5 min jog 2 min... Etc... Before you know it, you will be at your 13 min pace for the whole 13 min!!! If you add this into your longer runs and whatever else you want to do, you will be surprised at how well it works! Hope this makes sense and is helpful!

I hate treadmills. I will try to find an app with more accurate pace updates than the one I use, but treadmills are a complete last resort for me.

• Like 1

I hate treadmills. I will try to find an app with more accurate pace updates than the one I use, but treadmills are a complete last resort for me.

HAHA! Well, I hear ya on that one... If you can find an app that gives you accurate real time pace, it would work just as good as on a treadmill, its the progressive that matters. If you do find an app and find that it works, I would love to hear about it to try myself!

I have been trying to improve myself a bit before I start putting my package together, and other than being overly concerned about my SIFT score and GT scores, I need help with PT.

I am 27, and my push-ups and sit-ups aren't too bad, I'm just slow. I can, best case, push out a 15:30, which puts me 24 points down. I need a 13:18 to max, and as much as it pains me to say it, i just don't know how I can make that happen.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I run almost every day of the week, some days I do 3 miles, some days I do 100 yard sprint/walk, some days I do a mock PT test with sprints or a jog afterward. I'm just not seeing any improvement after about 2 months. I quit smoking about 3 months ago thinking that would help, but honestly, I think it made me slower.

Thanks.

Its buried in here somewhere, but for me, insanity works amazing. I was able to PT on my own the last 6-7 weeks and just stuck with that. Knocked out a 296 this morning. As long as you push yourself through it, its one of the best workouts I've been through.

I use Runmeter for tracking my runs. Gives you audio feedback on pace range, speed distance etc. Highly configurable and the GPS data is accurate. I use the Runners World smart coach. You can pick one of the standard distances (mile or 5k would work for you), length of program etc and it spits out a "customized" running program.

Diet man. Cut out soda completely and I guarantee you'll lose at least 30 seconds from your time. Try to eat simple clean foods like eggs and toast in the morning, grilled chicken and rice in the afternoon, and some other protein with a carb and veggies for dinner. Clean eating will really help. Oh and try to cut sugar out of your diet as much as possible. Finally you should really try and workout too. Find yourself a program in which you run in the mornings and lift in the evenings. I definitely agree with the others saying you need rest periods as well. I'm only 25 and my knees are already giving me problems, of course I was a Leg for three years so I guess that's par for the course.

• Like 1

I've been running and rucking for the military for 14 years. The thrill of running fast is gone.

I max p/u and s/u, run a 16:00 and live a happy life with my 275 :) it's easier on your body, better for beach abs, and more efficient for APFT score to max p/u and s/u than kill your self over 30 seconds.

Best training tool I have is a GPS watch that keeps me honest. Some days Im faster, some slower. I -almost- enjoy a 5miler trail run at 8:30-9:00 pace. That 19:00 3 mile is long gone though.

• Like 3

Diet man. Cut out soda completely and I guarantee you'll lose at least 30 seconds from your time. Try to eat simple clean foods like eggs and toast in the morning, grilled chicken and rice in the afternoon, and some other protein with a carb and veggies for dinner. Clean eating will really help. Oh and try to cut sugar out of your diet as much as possible. Finally you should really try and workout too. Find yourself a program in which you run in the mornings and lift in the evenings. I definitely agree with the others saying you need rest periods as well. I'm only 25 and my knees are already giving me problems, of course I was a Leg for three years so I guess that's par for the course.

I changed my diet when I quit smoking because I was so afraid of gaining weight. I went from 2-3 sodas a day to 1-2 a week. I also drink less than a 6 pack a week. I have lost a few pounds in the last month or so, but I still have quite a few more I can afford to get rid of.

I will look into some type of weight program, It's almost winter time here so exercise will be almost exclusively inside for the next 6 months or so.

I've been running and rucking for the military for 14 years. The thrill of running fast is gone.

I max p/u and s/u, run a 16:00 and live a happy life with my 275 :) it's easier on your body, better for beach abs, and more efficient for APFT score to max p/u and s/u than kill your self over 30 seconds.

Best training tool I have is a GPS watch that keeps me honest. Some days Im faster, some slower. I -almost- enjoy a 5miler trail run at 8:30-9:00 pace. That 19:00 3 mile is long gone though.

I have never been a runner either. I probably wont max push-ups and sit-ups, but I will get close.. last mock PT test I did I missed 14 points between the two. I need to work on going all the way up for situ-ps, the air force standard is different (easier) as we only need to touch half way up our thigh with our elbow.

GPS doesn't work so well here in the winter, because I have to run inside most days, it just doesn't read very well. I've tried to use it once, and it turned our 1/8 mile oval track into what looked like a 4 year old's sketch of Saturn. I might have to time myself and write in a notebook... the old fashioned way.

Wow this thread has some awesome info! Been away a few months enjoying life since being accepted on the May board and I am just now getting back to reality. I leave for BCT in about 6 weeks. Really trying to increase my pft scores and about to start making up some flashcards for the basic memory stuff at boot. I love the input from this site! Thanks all!

• Like 1

I have been trying to improve myself a bit before I start putting my package together, and other than being overly concerned about my SIFT score and GT scores, I need help with PT.

I am 27, and my push-ups and sit-ups aren't too bad, I'm just slow. I can, best case, push out a 15:30, which puts me 24 points down. I need a 13:18 to max, and as much as it pains me to say it, i just don't know how I can make that happen.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I run almost every day of the week, some days I do 3 miles, some days I do 100 yard sprint/walk, some days I do a mock PT test with sprints or a jog afterward. I'm just not seeing any improvement after about 2 months. I quit smoking about 3 months ago thinking that would help, but honestly, I think it made me slower.

Thanks.

http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/160TH_Training2.htm

Link above is 160ths method of improving APFT.

How's it going? Hey I'm not prior military, nor do I have firsthand experience with military fitness apart from www.sealfit.com WOD's and the AF PAST but I was a rugby player for a long time so if you have any questions at all I might have a little insight as to what you can do to up your APFT score and break through that ceiling. You can shoot me a PM anytime if a question pops up and I can consult a buddy of mine who is a physiologist if I don't have a good enough answer. Getting back into the fitness game myself so I've been thinking about it a fair amount.

Best,

Berto

I've been getting in much better shape lately, as the APFT is the big thing holding me back, but I'm stuck being slow at the run like the OP. I've always been pretty slow. I think I really just need to push out some fast as I can 2-3 mile runs more often. To give you an idea of how bad I am, I ran a 19:15 2mi just now, and I was pushing it. I can sprint great! I ran a 6:50 mile a few weeks back, it's my endurance that gets me, I just cant hold a fast pace for very long.

• Like 1

PT with somebody better than you.

Push yourself every time and have them push you. This is boot camp stuff you all miss out on.

It's either skill or will.

Right now you need to will to get the skill.

Nobody care about how you got there/where you can from. Your score is a hard number written on a piece of paper. You just have to train.

Run 1.0 at a 8min pace for a week

Then 1.1 at a 8 min pace for a week

Then 1.2..

Then 1.3...

• Like 1

Run 1.0 at a 8min pace for a week

Then 1.1 at a 8 min pace for a week

Then 1.2..

Then 1.3...

I like this. Seems simple enough. Add like an extra half a lap at the track every week or two.

I've been really focused on losing weight so I've been doing mostly resistance training for the past few months, and I've been neglecting running. I was doing maybe 1.5mi (I do have my AF PT test soon) once per week and sprints one other day. Some weeks I would just skip it. I'll be devoting most of my energy towards running for the next few weeks, maybe running like 6-8 miles/week, then I'll see where I'm at.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't skip leg day!!

The best way to get better at running is to run for sure. However, having a dedicated leg day will help out your endurance for sure. I just do squats, lunges, step-ups...etc one day a week. Having that strength in your legs will give you that little bit extra that you need!

Don't skip leg day!! The best way to get better at running is to run for sure. However, having a dedicated leg day will help out your endurance for sure. I just do squats, lunges, step-ups...etc one day a week. Having that strength in your legs will give you that little bit extra that you need!

As weird and counter-intuitive as it sounds, I sort of disagree. I find that if I go hard on my legs and really beef them up, I tend to run slower. It's almost like the bigger muscles take more energy and I get winded earlier.

I agree that you should have a dedicated leg day, I would stipulate however not to go really heavy. Instead make your leg days all about your leg's endurance.