Aviation Physical Question

So I went to take my aviation physical (the last portion of my packet) today at Fort Drum. Last December I had lasik and since my eyes have been amazing. I've had no problem and everything has looked great as far as my eyes go. I found out today though my eyes don't pass the standards for the pressure (puff) test. They are a 6 and I was told they need to be a 7 to pass.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows the process of getting a waiver and if that's possible for this. I've been in the WOFT process for over a year now. I got lasik just to do this and now it seems that at the last step I may be done. Any suggestions?

Did they specifically tell you that you were disqualified? The Army Aeromedical Policy Letters state the following:

"No waiver is required for low IOP (IOP of 7.0 mm Hg or lower) and will be filed as Information Only after a normal investigation below."

"Low IOP:

If a low IOP of 7 mm Hg or less is confirmed by Goldman’s Applanation Tonometry done by an optometrist or ophthalmologist, then document the following:

- Corneal Pachymetry

- Slit lamp examination to rule out underlying pathology or refractive surgery."

"No follow- up is required for ocular hypotension (low IOP). Persistent ocular hypotension on future FDME/FDHS will be listed as “Information Only” if the initial evaluation is normal."

As long as you have a normal investigation, as stated, you shouldn't need a waiver.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch! We're going to definitely look into this.

And Lindsey, I'm not sure it would be practical to ever get down all the way to Fort Rucker. I live in upstate New York so that's a few days drive. If it comes down to either going to Rucker or having no chance though you can bet I'll do whatever is necessary.

Thanks a bunch! We're going to definitely look into this.

And Lindsey, I'm not sure it would be practical to ever get down all the way to Fort Rucker. I live in upstate New York so that's a few days drive. If it comes down to either going to Rucker or having no chance though you can bet I'll do whatever is necessary.

Flights are fairly cheap if you fly to PCB or ATL.

• 4 weeks later...