Helo crash vid

DizzyD

Looks like the pilot slowed down below ETL pulled power (collective) and did not push enough left pedal. Once the right spin started recovery was delayed and resulted in an uncommanded spinning descent to the ground. I would put money on bad RRPM throttle managment contributed and possibly a tailwind to boot. So to sum up; uncoordinated use of flight controls resulting in loss of control and resulting descent/collision with terrain.

Have to say when he/she first swapped ends it was pretty graceful, and the spin was reasonably flat which is probably why the 2 occupants survived the crash.

It's so easy being an armchair critic. There is a 13% chance it was not a human factor related accident. So not likely it was a tail rotor or drive system failure. I don't think it was the dreaded LTE unless LTE stands for Lack of Training Effectiveness.

Let the debate begin!

I agree with Whistler. The entry into the spin is so gradual that I'm not convinced it's a loss of thrust situation. OGE is weird. You think you'll have enough power but you don't. So you keep pulling and pulling and maybe the RRPM droops a little. With it goes the TR, which loses thrust faster than the main rotor does. By the time the cabin goes around the second time you're going, "WTF? WTF? WTF! HANG ON, WE'RE GOING IN!"

He certainly had enough altitude to do...*something*. If the tail rotor was still spinning, he "should" have reduced power and flown away. I suspect the pilot was not the most experienced aviator to ever fly a 300.

• Like 1