Selected, am I doing it for the right reason?

I was selected on the last board for WOFT. The process was so long that I began applying to other branches. My dream when I began this application was to fly medevac because I have a brother in the military and he told me stories about army Dustoff that truly inspired me. I thought that this went right in hand with aspirations to be a pilot. I felt and still feel that my motive is pure. Well in the year it took to get accepted the Army did a freaking tremendous job of looking like the inferior branch. By some miracle I got accepted to Navy OCS on an SNA contract and will probably get accepted to Marine OCS. I just mention that because the process for WOFT and the way my recruiter handled the whole thing was night and day with the Navy and MC. So my question is: is it enough to want to join the army with the sole goal of flying medevac. I know I would love doing that and do well at it. Or should I go with the branch that has been much more professional. I'd like being on a ship or near water so the Navy might be better. I respect all branches of our armed forces I'm just trying to make a hard decision. I have been very impressed with the USMC, I have not been impressed with the Army. But the Army flies dedicated medevac missions.

I love the Army (no matter how much crap I talk), but dude, don't pick the Army because of only the medevac mission. The odds of getting a medevac assignment are not as high as you would hope. You could get Apaches. You could get C-12s (airplanes). You could even get the glorious battle taxi, aka UH-60, and never ever touch a bird with a Red Cross. You might get medevac and only be with that unit for a short period of time. There's just a LOT of unknowns.

If I were in your shoes I'd take a closer look at the Navy/Marine route.

I was selected on the last board for WOFT. The process was so long that I began applying to other branches. My dream when I began this application was to fly medevac because I have a brother in the military and he told me stories about army Dustoff that truly inspired me. I thought that this went right in hand with aspirations to be a pilot. I felt and still feel that my motive is pure. Well in the year it took to get accepted the Army did a freaking tremendous job of looking like the inferior branch. By some miracle I got accepted to Navy OCS on an SNA contract and will probably get accepted to Marine OCS. I just mention that because the process for WOFT and the way my recruiter handled the whole thing was night and day with the Navy and MC. So my question is: is it enough to want to join the army with the sole goal of flying medevac. I know I would love doing that and do well at it. Or should I go with the branch that has been much more professional. I'd like being on a ship or near water so the Navy might be better. I respect all branches of our armed forces I'm just trying to make a hard decision. I have been very impressed with the USMC, I have not been impressed with the Army. But the Army flies dedicated medevac missions.

My freshman year of college I was contracting with the Marines on a PLC aviation contract. I had a good GPA and was in better shape than I am today (although hopefully not for much longer). I was a serious applicant, but my experience with my Marine OSO was very different. He was an infantry officer before becoming a recruiter and maybe that had something to do with it, but he absolutely hated the fact that I wanted an aviation contract. Was unhelpful when it came to things like what to study for with the ASTB and in general was kind of a dick. I guess all im saying is don't base everything on the route to getting selected. That being said, Lindsey is right in saying you only have a sliver of a chance of getting Medevacs. If you'd prefer Navy/Marine OCS, go for it.

Don't judge the Army by how you were treated by some recruiters. Definitely don't judge Army Aviation by some recruiter either. Yes, there are people in the Army who have no attention to detail and don't give a damn about serving. They joined because they needed a job and don't care how well they do that job. Not many of those people in the Marines but then again, it's a far smaller service as well. Your experience with a recruiter and an AD Army Aviation unit will be like night and day.

As far as MEDEVAC, first you'd have to get 60s. No guarantee for that or being assigned MEDEVAC out of FS. Not so hard to get after your first duty station but you'll have to go where there's an opening. Also, the glamour or status that you may see in MEDEVAC might be from hearing stories in the last two wars. Unless another war breaks out soon, you won't be saying "when I have your wounded" anytime soon. You'll spend your days practicing hoist and doing interhospital transfers and hardly getting any flight time.

In the Marines you'll have a chance at jets and you'll be making more money. In the Army you'll spend far less out of cockpit and have far more duty stations. It's up to you.

Ok, I will clarify. The Army is great, and its enjoyable to fly and instruct. My father spent 27 years in the USMC as a fighter pilot. I envy what he had. Yes, times are different.

But from what I see, go SNA. Hell, you will get paid more, and might get to fly jets.

• Like 1

If you're questioning whether or not you're making the right choice, its probably not for you. Which of the three will you look at and say "i dont care what happens im gonna see it through". For me, it was Army. For you, it may be Navy. Regardless, times will get tough and you're gonna need motivation to get through it. If you dont want to be there 100% you may end up hating it.

The navy and USMC used dedicated Officer recruiters, the Army doesn't, that is the issue with the crappy recruiters. Just regular, disgruntle SGTs who'd rather be putting in high school kids than WOFT. Or actually doing their MOS.

Don't judge the Army by that. Go visit a Army post. Go visit all three bases.

I was in the USMC for 6 years and delt with the Navy a good bit. The USMC was fun when I was a kid, but Army Aviation is an awesome career. Never loved the boats myself. Being underway for months was not fun.

Worst case, you could end up being a logistics/admin/supply officer in the navy or USMC and that would suck donkey balls. Worst case WOFT, you fly C-12s. Not "that" bad.

I didn't find any to be more professional as a whole. They're all full of individuals. The USMC has the highest minimums, but that does not translate to professionalism.

• Like 1

What's your background if you dont mind me asking? I'd imagine an SNA contract is pretty competitive

Should a group of Anonymous internet forum users influence your Aviation career / the rest of your life?

Furthermore, should the behavior or character of an Army recruiter affect your endstate of where you want to be?

Go with your gutt feeling, you wanna fly jets? land choppers on ships? or do Army Medevac? Do what you want.

That being said, the glamour of Medevac that you are hearing is based off of war stories and documentaries. As many have stated, Medevac is not a guarantee, unless you are National Guard, then it is guaranteed.

I can assure you all the missions in the Army can be just as rewarding and they ALL have their drawbacks.

To answer the question in your topic. Are you doing it for the right reason? I think you already know the answer.

The Army's answer is they want soldiers, officers first, they could care less what reason you came in the Army.

If you join the Army and would be absolutely miserable as a C-12 or a gun pilot, you are doing it for the wrong reason.

• Like 1

My freshman year of college I was contracting with the Marines on a PLC aviation contract. I had a good GPA and was in better shape than I am today (although hopefully not for much longer). I was a serious applicant, but my experience with my Marine OSO was very different. He was an infantry officer before becoming a recruiter and maybe that had something to do with it, but he absolutely hated the fact that I wanted an aviation contract. Was unhelpful when it came to things like what to study for with the ASTB and in general was kind of a dick. I guess all im saying is don't base everything on the route to getting selected. That being said, Lindsey is right in saying you only have a sliver of a chance of getting Medevacs. If you'd prefer Navy/Marine OCS, go for it.

That's interesting. Both of the Marine OSO's that I've worked with on the application are infantry officers and they were really positive and helpful about getting an air contract. They even setup that a current Marine pilot come in to speak with the candidates. One let me borrow a study guide for the ASTB the first week I was there. I guess It just comes down to the individual and in such a large force there are bound to be good and bad ones.

Don't judge the Army by how you were treated by some recruiters. Definitely don't judge Army Aviation by some recruiter either. Yes, there are people in the Army who have no attention to detail and don't give a damn about serving. They joined because they needed a job and don't care how well they do that job. Not many of those people in the Marines but then again, it's a far smaller service as well. Your experience with a recruiter and an AD Army Aviation unit will be like night and day.

As far as MEDEVAC, first you'd have to get 60s. No guarantee for that or being assigned MEDEVAC out of FS. Not so hard to get after your first duty station but you'll have to go where there's an opening. Also, the glamour or status that you may see in MEDEVAC might be from hearing stories in the last two wars. Unless another war breaks out soon, you won't be saying "when I have your wounded" anytime soon. You'll spend your days practicing hoist and doing interhospital transfers and hardly getting any flight time.

In the Marines you'll have a chance at jets and you'll be making more money. In the Army you'll spend far less out of cockpit and have far more duty stations. It's up to you.

Interesting. Don't care much for getting jets, it's not as cool as it used to be. It's fly by wire and auto carrier landing systems. Jet pilots will be replaced by robots sooner than helo pilots. I think flying a helicopter would take more skill. I just watched "when I have your wounded." Amazing film, amazing people. I hadn't considered what you said about how the wars are over and the medevac job will be different in peace time.

If you're questioning whether or not you're making the right choice, its probably not for you. Which of the three will you look at and say "i dont care what happens im gonna see it through". For me, it was Army. For you, it may be Navy. Regardless, times will get tough and you're gonna need motivation to get through it. If you dont want to be there 100% you may end up hating it.

I think that's really what it comes down to. I think if I couldn't fly I would want to be in the Navy the most. Thank you for that insight.

The navy and USMC used dedicated Officer recruiters, the Army doesn't, that is the issue with the crappy recruiters. Just regular, disgruntle SGTs who'd rather be putting in high school kids than WOFT. Or actually doing their MOS.

Don't judge the Army by that. Go visit a Army post. Go visit all three bases.

I was in the USMC for 6 years and delt with the Navy a good bit. The USMC was fun when I was a kid, but Army Aviation is an awesome career. Never loved the boats myself. Being underway for months was not fun.

Worst case, you could end up being a logistics/admin/supply officer in the navy or USMC and that would suck donkey balls. Worst case WOFT, you fly C-12s. Not "that" bad.

I didn't find any to be more professional as a whole. They're all full of individuals. The USMC has the highest minimums, but that does not translate to professionalism.

I was thinking worst case WOFT would be to fail wocs and incur a 4 year enlistment obligation

What's your background if you dont mind me asking? I'd imagine an SNA contract is pretty competitive

25 years old, Studied French at Humboldt State, got nice letters from former professors, having to be physically qualified before submitting your packet weeds out lots of applicants. It's a very good time to apply, acceptance rates are really high.

• Like 1

25 years old, Studied French at Humboldt State, got nice letters from former professors, having to be physically qualified before submitting your packet weeds out lots of applicants. It's a very good time to apply, acceptance rates are really high.

GPA and Major? Not trying to be nosey, I've just never heard of this program before this post. Kind of figured when PLC didn't work out for me I had missed out on my chance to explore fixed wing.

I cannot speak for Army Aviation (yet). However, I do know what it is like to have soldiers who do not want to be Army. As a leader, it sucks. Imagine having to motivate them constantly to actually care about what they are doing. When its one of your battle buddies, its even worse. The negative attitudes can be cancerous.

That being said, I love the Army. Just because I love the Army, does not mean you will. Follow your heart, my friend. Do what you think you will love. You know yourself best. Besides, the last thing I would want is one more soldier who didn't want to be here.

• Like 1

Interesting. Don't care much for getting jets, it's not as cool as it used to be. It's fly by wire and auto carrier landing systems. Jet pilots will be replaced by robots sooner than helo pilots. I think flying a helicopter would take more skill. I just watched "when I have your wounded." Amazing film, amazing people. I hadn't considered what you said about how the wars are over and the medevac job will be different in peace time.

Well to each his own but I think it would be pretty cool to fly fighters. Worked them for 8 yrs doing ATC in the Marines. There's still a lot of hands on flying in a fighter. I agree, their future will be limited compared to helos though.

Don't let a recruiter experience get you down. I had my APFT scheduled with them three different times. First time they cancelled at the last minute. Second time, they changed the meeting place without telling me. Third time, I got lost trying to find them. I was so ticked off with dealing with people who didn't care about my plight I said screw it, I'll stay in the Marines. I was literally a right turn away from never applying when I saw them forming up for PT. knocked out a 297 and the rest was history. Knocked out another 297 the next day in the Marines as well. Probably some sort of record there. 😀

So yeah, while I do agree as a whole, you have more people per capita in the Marines that are dedicated towards excellence, don't compare a recruiter to Army Aviation. Two different things.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 2

I showed my ignorance here, I ass/u/med the "s" in SNA was "surface" like SWO.

That makes it a lot tougher.

I still like the Army's mission of supporting ground troops better. Flying multiship under goggles into tiny lzs with killers in the back is my mostest favoritest thing ever. It would be tough to turn down f-18s and retire as a O-5/6. Pensacola will be a better flight school location, I know that!

• Like 1

Honestly you have three good options. I would go for the one that you think will be the best use of your time for the next 20 years, and which would set you up for success once you're no longer serving. Big picture decision right here. On one side you really don't get to see how laid back the army warrant officer lifestyle is. Aviation is literally awesome IF you're a warrant. If you're enlisted the only worthwhile perk is knowing a ton of warrants to help you get your packet popping. Other than that it's a lot of work, with a lot of kids who hate authority but picked aviation to fix million dollar aircraft with no intentions of staying in the Army longer than 4 years. Like the guy said above, as a leader it sucks because of the laid back environment. If I knew 6 years ago what I know now id be CW2 rather than E5(P), WOFT is where it's at.

• Like 2

I've been in the Army for 8 years, just recently go to my first duty station out of Flight School. It is pretty awesome. I would definitely consider the SNA for how cool it would be, along with retirement I'm sure. Then again, I was researching how to be a fighter pilot when I was 12 lol. The only downside to being in the Army that I can really think of is hearing about he "Hooah" word. I'm at my first duty station in the regular Army in 8 years and it drives me crazy hearing the Privates say it haha

Seriously though you got to pick the service you'd be happy in. I'd definitely consider the SNA contract, for th retirement and how awesome it would be like I said. That's just me though. You know life's not too bad when that's your life choices. Many people would kill to be in your shoes