TigerTugsUpperLimit2011Home_468x60Helicopter AcademyVOLO_VRHome200
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Commissioned Army Officer to Aviation Warrant Officer

commission warrant officer woft revert resign commissioned ROTC flight school CW2

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#161 METT-TC

METT-TC

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Retired Army...jeeps, running, peakbagging (hiking), and a bit of flying

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:52

As for the comment about not being a generalist/not being buried in PPTs procurement... results certainly vary by airframe, track, and unit.

Sounds like someone went TACOPS (possibly Safety, but generally not as dire)? I always felt sorry for my fellows that got pulled up to the Bn S3 shop.

As for the direct commission, no. I went CW3 to CPT in late 2010, but mine was different as I already had 9 years previous as an RLO. But obviously there is precedent as you posted. If no one helps you out/is familiar, suggest you do one of two things--hit up that captain in the article on pointers...and if he'd still do it (find him on global) or query HRC-Avn (generally the "special actions" officer on the branch webpage).

I will say O3E is good money when up in the 15-16 year area, but if CW4 is likely / possible, you'll make more in retirement than a MAJ if you are staying a little beyond 20 (O-4s only get annual COLA above 18, no TIS increase).

#162 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:09

CPT Lacey was the coolest instructor at Rucker. Definitely an icon.
  • oh58mech likes this

#163 Drew

Drew

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Aviation
  • Company working for:Warrant Officer for US Army

Posted 10 March 2017 - 15:19

Don't have any experience from warrant to RLO if you wanted to stay aviation. But, I went through med BOLC with a guy who was an aviation W3 that went the PA route. So PA school as an O2 then fast track to O3.
  • oh58mech and Creep0321 like this

#164 oh58mech

oh58mech

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:25

O-4 is nearly $1k more than W-4 at 20. COLA doesn't follow you into retirement. Either way, it's better than I would have been as an E-7 (though likely would have finished as E-8, possibly 9).

feqomf.png

I'm at 16 now, with 7 more to go (did a short stint in the USAR), so I'll be falling on the 22 or 24 TIS pay. First look for W3 is 2020. We'll see how life is at my next duty station in a year or two, but honestly, I may be willing to rebranch.

#165 METT-TC

METT-TC

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Retired Army...jeeps, running, peakbagging (hiking), and a bit of flying

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:55

Thanks for the correction--I remembered it as equaling out around 24. Interference from the reduction of flight pay as a commissioned guy if I had stayed that long I'm assuming. When I say "COLA", I am talking about the yearly increase to your base pay--the across the service one, not a locality pay. Yes, wrong term, but you can see where O-4 stops receiving TIS increases at 18-only thing left is that 1 Jan annual adjustment courtesy of Congress.

Understand that if you do pursue this, say you get it at 18 years and start out as an O-3E, you are looking at about 9 years more service to retire as a maxed out (high 3 retirement) O-4. 6 years as a captain and 3 as as major. If you are enjoying the job, hell yeah. And that 2.5% for each year above 20 will increase that retirement nicely. On the other hand, you'll make almost as much (including that O-4s special pays/BAH/BAS, etc) as a retired W-3 with a 50-70k flight job (and including VA disability 50% or above, you will be higher--we never really consider this side of it, but even pretty healthy, it is a better possibility of getting than CW4 / MAJ promotion...). Sorry for that run-on...

Not trying to dissuade you, just keep your eyes open to both sides. And if you are enjoying it, hell yeah, why not. On the flip side, the older I got, the less willing I was to deal with some of the BS (everyone's cup fills up at a different time which is okay). Heaven knows I threw out DA PAM 600-3's career model out the window and did it pretty much on my terms. And without too many bumps or bruises to show for it.

edit--need more coffee (still early'ish in the PST)--public math between your stated warrant timeline and my scenario is only 3 years difference I believe. I don't know if the grass is greener, but there is the public math to consider. 

#166 Fly89

Fly89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Army Commission Officer to Warrant Officer Information.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 14:41

All the post on this dissucssion have been really helpful, yet my question is what would happen if I was accepted and for some reason I didn't make it through flight school? Would I regain my commission, be offered to re-branch as a warrant, or be forced to leave active duty? Has anyone known someone that didn't make it through flight school after making the switch?

#167 Fly89

Fly89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 14:16

This discussion board has been really helpful with finding reliable information on transitioning to become a warrant, yet there is still one question I haven't seen. What would happen if I was selected for flight school, and for some reason I was unable to finish? Would the Army allow me to return as a commissioned officer in my previous branch, re-branch as a warrant, or require me to leave active duty? Does anyone know of someone that made the switch and was unable to successfully complete flight school? I'm defiantly not going apply to become a warrant if I'm not going to give it 100%, yet the reality is that not everyone makes it through flight school for different reasons. I'd like to know what would happen if I resign my commission and things don't work out the way I hoped they would. Becoming a pilot has been a dream of mind for many years, yet I don't want to risk the wellbeing of my family to chase my dream with out knowing what are my options if for some reason I don't make through flight school.    

#168 METT-TC

METT-TC

ATP Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 18:23

This discussion board has been really helpful with finding reliable information on transitioning to become a warrant, yet there is still one question I haven't seen. What would happen if I was selected for flight school, and for some reason I was unable to finish? Would the Army allow me to return as a commissioned officer in my previous branch, re-branch as a warrant, or require me to leave active duty? Does anyone know of someone that made the switch and was unable to successfully complete flight school? I'm defiantly not going apply to become a warrant if I'm not going to give it 100%, yet the reality is that not everyone makes it through flight school for different reasons. I'd like to know what would happen if I resign my commission and things don't work out the way I hoped they would. Becoming a pilot has been a dream of mind for many years, yet I don't want to risk the wellbeing of my family to chase my dream with out knowing what are my options if for some reason I don't make through flight school.    

If you're otherwise able to serve (in your old branch or another in that grouping), you can expect the request to be looked on favorably. About the only thing that would do this to you is a medical issue--fit for Army standards other than Aviation--car wreck, etc. Other types of failing go into not fit to be an officer other than medical and they won't be an issue / can only be self induced.

So that stated, yes, can revert via 4187 and working with your current and former HRC branch peeps. They "should" be somewhat familiar (if it were to ever occur)--I did it right after HRC moved from Alexandria to Knox and there was a continuity drain as many GS punched out for retirement vs move to lovely Knox. Mine was painful--and it was all in the same branch (but the first since the relocation--I sent a bottle of single malt to the poor officer that had to/but did figure it out for me). But the techs and officers have had 6 years to relearn everything that didn't move with the flag.

Edited by METT-TC, 20 March 2017 - 18:25.

#169 dovq2011

dovq2011

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, backpacking, cigars, bourbon

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:14

Update: We just had a brief today to talk about the way ahead for life at flight school (more or a less a general brief) but for those going CO to WO, you will no longer be a WOBC-A Bypass.  Read:  EVERYONE will do WOBC-A, as well as WOBC-B.

#170 Tradewinds

Tradewinds

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 14:09

Well that sounds like fun.

#171 Tstroh10

Tstroh10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 16:49

I wonder IF and when this would go into effect..

#172 dovq2011

dovq2011

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 18:22

I think it already is in effect.  According to Mr. Meyers at B Co, he told me and another prior-CO guy that we were basically the last ones (there were some others who all arrived around the same time frame).

#173 Tstroh10

Tstroh10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:44

I wonder if thats the same for commissioned aviators who reappoint to CW2.

#174 dovq2011

dovq2011

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:48

I wonder if thats the same for commissioned aviators who reappoint to CW2.

No because they aren't going through flight school again, they're just resigning their commission and being re-appointed.

#175 Tstroh10

Tstroh10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 15:15

Oh yeah I guess thats true.  Didn't think about that.  But hey If anyone wants to fly then do whatever it takes.  Its totally worth it.

#176 Fly89

Fly89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 14:03

Should I include my time as an enlisted soldier when completing my resume? I was an NCO then attended the Green to Gold program and became an RLO. I haven't had a break in services from my initial entry date, so I'm assuming I would include my time enlisted. Has anyone else been in the same situation or know of someone that has?  

#177 Drew

Drew

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Aviation
  • Company working for:Warrant Officer for US Army

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:28

I would include everything.
  • Creep0321 and dovq2011 like this

#178 mezz

mezz

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 14:35

What are the biggest reasons why one would want to transition from a commissioned officer to a warrant officer assuming they are already a rotary wing pilot as a commissioned officer? Thank you!

#179 Tradewinds

Tradewinds

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 20:17

What are the biggest reasons why one would want to transition from a commissioned officer to a warrant officer assuming they are already a rotary wing pilot as a commissioned officer? Thank you!

Usually it's because they want flying to remain their primary job. A RLO is by definition an Aviation Officer, meaning flying is not their only job and as they progress flying becomes their secondary job. Flying is only a small part of an Aviation Officer's job, they will start as a PL, move to staff then troop command and then staff and then....who knows while they wait for another command. 

Unlike the other branches where the RLO's are the pilots and their main job for most of their careers is flying. When I was in the Coast Guard I shared the Helicopter with a Lt. Commander, you didn't start command until you were a Commander. That's where the army is different, my son's both had a lot more responsibility early on then I did, we just flew in constant crappy weather.

I always grinned a bit when I listened to cadets visualize life as an Aviation Officer, it was often all Maverick and Goose. Luckily both my son's PMS were Aviation Officers and were able to convey reality before they selected Aviation. 

• mezz likes this

#180 mezz

mezz

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 22:15

Usually it's because they want flying to remain their primary job. A RLO is by definition an Aviation Officer, meaning flying is not their only job and as they progress flying becomes their secondary job. Flying is only a small part of an Aviation Officer's job, they will start as a PL, move to staff then troop command and then staff and then....who knows while they wait for another command. 

Unlike the other branches where the RLO's are the pilots and their main job for most of their careers is flying. When I was in the Coast Guard I shared the Helicopter with a Lt. Commander, you didn't start command until you were a Commander. That's where the army is different, my son's both had a lot more responsibility early on then I did, we just flew in constant crappy weather.

I always grinned a bit when I listened to cadets visualize life as an Aviation Officer, it was often all Maverick and Goose. Luckily both my son's PMS were Aviation Officers and were able to convey reality before they selected Aviation. 

thanks very much, a lot of what I assumed but also a lot of great insight. Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: commission, warrant, officer, woft, revert, resign, commissioned, ROTC, flight school, CW2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

NFCVRForum200HomeMidwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016Genesys VR Forum 200Able_VRHOme200Helmet FX Home 200HeliHelmets-VR HomeDevoreHome200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200