Questions about using post 9/11 GI bill

I am planning on taking flight lessons from this company http://www.totalflight.com/helicopter.html, which has a relationship with Utah valley University where I can get funding by taking their degree program http://www.uvu.edu/aviation/ . Will my GI Bill be paying utah valley, and then in turn utah valley will be paying the flight shcool instructor and rental fees?

The website also states "Students flying at the UVU facility pay for their flight costs via course fees. In addition to the regular tuition rate, students pay a course fee which has been estimated to cover costs associated with the actual flight training for a specific pilot certificate or rating. Items covered by the course fee include aircraft rental, fuel costs, flight instruction, ground instruction, and FAA examiner/practical exam fees. Students who have completed flight training hours at another institution or who wish to complete flight training via Continuing Education should speak with an aviation advisor for more information. Please note that flight course fees are subject to change."

Will i have to pay this course fee as well or will the post 9/11 Gi Bill fover these fees? Here is the list of the fees for 2016 http://www.uvu.edu/aviation/docs/flight_training_costs_spring_2016_2.pdf

Should i just talk to the flight school about how it works? Should i trust them?

I've searched the forums but could not find any decent topics explaining this. Thank you

Post 9/11 pays, at the moment, for costs associated with a degree seeking course of instruction, including flights costs, as long as they are built into the program, as far as I understand it.

Hopefully you've done more research into this than just hitting "Ctrl F" on a web forum. Go to the school. Talk to real, live humans. Also, go talk to civilian helicopter pilots, preferably in person. If you want my advice, here it is: if you're asking this level of question, you don't want to be a pilot badly enough to make it worth the taxpayer money you're going to waste trying it out.

• Like 1

I've been trying to get ahold of 2 schools here in NC, one still hasn't called me back when I left my name and number last week and I'm hoping to drive down south this week to talk to the other. I will probably pay out of pocket for my private to get more familiar and see if I really like it, and then make my decision.

I'm not sure if they cover private or not. I know in the past, they didn't. It may also come down to a difference in whether you're taking the instruction at Joe's pilot school, or in connection with a degree as has already been stated.

As far as what they will definitely pay:

If you go to Joe's, you're getting that limit of $10,xxx/per year/per course. Which I read as "If it costs $5,000 for your instrument ticket, that other $5,xxx is gone". Further, I understand they pay based on the FAA minimum number of hours, independent of how many hours it actually takes you.

If you are seeking a degree that has flight fees, they will pay whatever the course costs are, based on what the school says they are for the "mandatory hours". If it takes you an additional 5 hours, that's on you.

This is what I understand through the VA rep/counselor at my school.

Hopefully this has answered your questions.

A lot of the VA funding is changing almost daily. At my school they said about 3 weeks ago that they would pay for Private if you already registered and then about a week later they said if the they didn't pass their checkrides by 1 Jan 2016 then they were going to pull whatever money they had left over.

I was set to start flight school in January through Guidance Aviation and BRCC. Just found out yesterday that I was put on a Veterans waiting list and that they will no longer cover the private license portion. That part will have to be paid out of pocket, roughly $25k.

Check with your school every day, I went from being good to go to lost cause in a matter of minutes.

I have worked at the VA for 8yrs and I am a Vet as well....The only way the VA will pa for a private license is under Ch33 Post 9/11 GI Bill......and the ONLY way it will pay for a private license is if your going to an Institution of Higher Learning getting an actual degree that requires a private license.

I work in the education dept and I know getting a private license through your Ch33 can be done, I have only seen 3-4 people in the 5yrs I have been in the education dept....

I tried to get my private license when I was stationed in Alaska through my CH30 and was bummed when I found out it would not pay for it...so, I never got the opportunity to get my license. But, I will be starting my schooling to get my private license for helicopters starting in March. I am gonna get through the holidays and then start. I am looking at possibly buying a Rotorway A600 Talon kit or just buy one in good condition once I am able to obtain my license.