What a way to go -

tradford

Your link doesnt show the crash anymore, but i think i know which one you are talking about. When i saw it, i was wondering how two people died from it. A lot of spinning going on, but not much of a high descent rate before impact. Im wondering if they hit their heads hard enough or what.

Shouldnt the fuselage be spinning clockwise? I Thought once the engine stops providing torque, it would start spinning with the main rotor. It almost seems like the rotors are feeding into the opposite rotation of the fuselage.

Whoa, just noticed above our picture frame to the left (<-----) it says above if you are a pvt, com, cfi, or veteran poster. How is this info located and linked to the website cause i doubt the moderators did a background check of everyone?

Edited by Curyfury

Shouldnt the fuselage be spinning clockwise? I Thought once the engine stops providing torque, it would start spinning with the main rotor. It almost seems like the rotors are feeding into the opposite rotation of the fuselage.

Whoa, just noticed above our picture frame to the left (<-----) it says above if you are a pvt, com, cfi, or veteran poster. How is this info located and linked to the website cause i doubt the moderators did a background check of everyone?

As long as the engine is running, it’s providing torque. In this case, the running engine is still connected to the transmission so the torque to being generated from the engine to the transmission. In AIRBUS products, the rotor system rotates in the opposite direction of other makes, such as Bells, MD’s or Robinsons…. T/R failure in an Astar is indicated by a left (counterclockwise) yaw…

Edited by Spike

It's not just dollies, AStars are notorious for their difficult hovers and set downs which is why the squirrel is an appropriate name. Mixing a moving dolly, a difficult ship to hover and the stress of setting it down on a very specific spot is already difficult. I'm wondering if the rear portion of his skids caught the dolly and when he pulled power it became a pivot point pulling the tail into the ground

Like a lot of people here, I have thousands of dolly cart landings. Its just never been an issue. This scenario has a lot of aspects. The dolly cart is the least of them. Unless that cart specifically is determined to have a flaw. Helicopters land on anything and everything all day and even all night in some cases. But yet when a helicopter comes back to one of the most controlled locations possible to operate a helicopter and crashes on a level platform 10 inches high, suddenly dolly carts are dangerous.

• Like 3

It's not just dollies, AStars are notorious for their difficult hovers and set downs which is why the squirrel is an appropriate name. Mixing a moving dolly, a difficult ship to hover and the stress of setting it down on a very specific spot is already difficult. I'm wondering if the rear portion of his skids caught the dolly and when he pulled power it became a pivot point pulling the tail into the ground

What makes the AStar any more difficult to hover or pickup/setdown than any other helicopter??

at :52 if you look at the hood line of the silver car you will see a red dolly and subsequently the pilot appears to misjudge his skid position reference the dolly

You’re correct, the helicopter ends up touching-down off the rear of the dolly in a Teeter totter action, bouncing off the tail, before they loose control. Landing like that, touching-down mid skid, can also setup a ground resonance (Called “dynamic divergence” by Airbus).

If there are any issues with the aircraft or dolly prior to your attempt to land on a dolly, make a landing to the ground and correct the issues before any additional attempts to the dolly.

It appears either the bouncing action off the tail damaged the tail rotor, tail rotor drive shaft, or the helicopter inadvertently slid off the edge of the dolly and the front right skid caught the edge of the dolly as they tried to recover; consequentially, rolling them over and severing the tail.

With that rate of rotation, it’s almost impossible for any pilot to get his hand down to the fuel control or cutoff lever; moreover, to do so, he would have to let go of the collective.

'>https://youtu.be/_y2omnU9HJ0

Another Dolly Landing Gone Bad

https://youtu.be/z_kuB0SCCe4'>https://youtu.be/z_kuB0SCCe4

Edited by iChris

Having the opportunity recently to get some stick time in an astar, i can say that the whole "if you can fly a robbie, you can fly anything" is like saying "the future shortage of pilots in inevitable", its just a sales pitch. Ive flown 44's with hydraulics, so i dont know why hovering is such a challenge in an astar. But just like a 22, give it 5 lessons or so and you'll get better at it. I was actually told i have the robbie shuffle where i am inputting too much into the cyclic. When the real pic does it, his hands barely move the cyclic.

Let's face it..... In a lot of helo jobs and especially private ownership flying something like a dolly cart landing is a top end skill. When you do utility type work, Ag or other dirty jobs you are in situations that you would either be fired if that wasn't your job, or as a private owner using your helicopter for VIP transport you would just never encounter.

• Like 1