Flight Physical questions

Does my flight physical need to be done by Army flight medicine, or can I have my local Air Force flight medicine do the flight physical?

I am AD Air Force, and I was asking my medic about it, she said the AF might have different standards than the army, so I printed out the reg and she said it might be tough to get flight medicine to do "someone else's" flight physical.

There is an army guard base about an hour from me with helicopters, so I'd imagine they have to have some kind of medical support there. Would I be better off calling them and making an appointment?

Thanks,

Where are you located?

Scratch that, I saw that wasn't part of the question. Can't hurt to call, although from past experience, most states will be hesitant to give flight physicals if you aren't already flying for them or trying to join their state.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to hunt their number down.

I'm going back to talk to our Flight Med after their lunch break, hopefully I can get some clarification. I have seen people on this forum talk about flying to FT Rucker for their flight physical. If it comes down to it, I'll look into that option.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to hunt their number down.

I'm going back to talk to our Flight Med after their lunch break, hopefully I can get some clarification. I have seen people on this forum talk about flying to FT Rucker for their flight physical. If it comes down to it, I'll look into that option.

It's a lot easier to get a flight phys as a military member instead of being a civilian. If you can't get into Rucker, just keep calling other bases.

Does my flight physical need to be done by Army flight medicine, or can I have my local Air Force flight medicine do the flight physical?

I am AD Air Force, and I was asking my medic about it, she said the AF might have different standards than the army, so I printed out the reg and she said it might be tough to get flight medicine to do "someone else's" flight physical.

There is an army guard base about an hour from me with helicopters, so I'd imagine they have to have some kind of medical support there. Would I be better off calling them and making an appointment?

Thanks,

I've had physicals done by the AF, Coast Guard; Navy personnel were involved while deployed... it doesn't matter.

Ask that unit where they go, but you should be able to use your local AF.

Edited by CharyouTree

Check on the USAREC site. I'm pretty sure I saw a number there. http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml

I just called flight medicine and they gave me the number to whoever is in charge of that department.

Thanks guys! I answered my own question. I found the number to the Medical Records for the Patient Administration Division at Lyster Army Health Clinic (Fort Rucker).

For future reference here is the number: (334) 255-7109

They can't give out information re: your records (HIPPA I'm guessing) but they can at least verify they have it.

• Like 1

When I needed to take care of my flight physical, the nearest Army Flight Surgeon was 3 hours away from me. My recruiter knew that an AF Flight Surgeon was just 30 minutes away and I could have my physical administered there.

All that being said, my recruiter was never able to get a hold of that AF Flight Surgeon and I just went to the Army one instead.

I'm going to throw out this bit of extra info to save others from the frustration I went through regarding the Flight Physical. Once your physical is complete and it's been sent to Fort Rucker, you still need to obtain a copy of it for your packet. Fort Rucker will stamp it and than send it back to the Aviation Medical where ever you were originally seen. It took about a week for all of this to happen, problem is, I never knew I was suppose to obtain a copy.

To obtain a copy of your FULL AND STAMPED Flight Phys, you should contact the Aviation Medical where you were seen and ask for a copy to submit with your packet. If you are in person I'm sure they can just hand it to you. If not, the only way they say they can send it is via faxing it to your recruiter.

Hopefully, I save someone a little frustration with this.