Am I learning too slow?

I have a little over 50 hours right now and I soloed somewhere around 35 hours. I fly three times a week but I feel like I've been learning too slow. I still haven't flown around the pattern yet and I'm already above 50 hours. Is this normal? Or am I just a slow learner?

So you soloed but havent flown around the pattern yet? I am confused and its hard to answer this question without more details. Are you training under part 61 or part 141? How long are your normal flight lessons? How far along are you on your ground instruction and knowledge? Have you been taking practice writtens in preparation for the written?

Have you gone on any cross country flights dual yet? If so why have you not done your solo cross country?

Are you training under only one instructor or several? How long have you been in training?

I have a little over 50 hours right now and I soloed somewhere around 35 hours. I fly three times a week but I feel like I've been learning too slow. I still haven't flown around the pattern yet and I'm already above 50 hours. Is this normal? Or am I just a slow learner?

The average total time to Private Certification used to be 50 hours. Over time, this average has risen for numerous reasons although reasons not connected with one’s ability to learn. Today, I’d hazard to guess the new average hovers around 60 hours +/- 10 hours….

While I understand your concern, it’s not what alarms me. What alarms me is; you don’t seem to know what the expectation is. Additionally, it’s scary you feel the need to come to the internet to see if there is a problem which is reminiscent of the “How many hours do people normally fly in a R22 before getting their license?” thread on the General Forum…….

Basically, you should know where you stand with your training. Your school should have everything already laid out for you, from day one, in order to meet your goal(s). Remember, you are a customer of the flight school. The flight school is providing you a service. If that service is not meeting your expectations, you’ll need to find out why……. At minimum, you may want to consider attending another flight school….

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would say this is on the slow side. I finished my private ticket at 42 hours. I was highly motivated as you should be because it costs a ton of $$$$. I worked full time and then worked extra jobs to pay for my flying. When I wasn't flying, my head was in a book....