Warrant Officer Tracks

After I made PC I made my intentions known to the stands department that I wanted to track IP. I got the LOR from the Battalion SP and Battalion Commander. Then I had to get my branch manager to get me a school slot as I PCS'd.

You will need 500hrs TT, 50 hours PC, and I think 250hrs in your particular helicopter.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, in the NG, I got back from flight school, it was discovered I could work with the MILTOPES, and shortly after, it was declared I'd be doing TACOPS. I got the PC waiver, and everything.

I also volunteered for a CO-ADOS tour as an IP at Rucker in order to get the IPC enroute (they were really hard up at the time).

Now I'm in the plane, and technically in an IP slot there on our TDA; I guess as soon as I meet the requirements and we have a school, I can attend that IPC as well...

But, the overall lesson is, it's needs of the Army/your unit. You can let them know what you'd like, but... it doesn't always mean much. Just like aircraft selection.

• Like 1

IP tends to be a more strenuous process, as it should be. You'll have to impress your unit and be consistent in your aviating. TACOPS is pretty easy to get in comparison, and can be a stepping stone to another track. Generally, try to track as early as you can in your career. Going to Korea might help kickstart the process.

MTP is tougher than IP. As an H-60 student in the IPC, you get 8 weeks to learn to teach the ATM manuevers that you do every year on your APART. In the MTPC you get 5 weeks to annotate your MTF checklist, memorized all of the extra call outs, learn the new manuevers and learn systems at a higher level than someone who can get a 100% on an AQC systems test.

To get to the MTPC you have to complete maintenance manager and maintenance leader courses. I think it is called AMOC now. Then yo go to the MTPC for your aircraft. At the end of the MTPC you are just barely able to do a test flight on your own.

Do you like doing autos with both engines back at idle? You'll get to do that as a 60 MTP. 130 kts with one engine back? Yep. 145 kts with one engine in lockout, 103% RPM R? Yep. Autos with up to 120% RPM R? Yep

It seems easier to get selected to track MTP because it is less prestigious (and easier). Everyone wants to be an IP. But the truth is...MTPs work a lot harder than IPs.

Edited by Rob Lyman
  • Like 1

As a follow-on to bing an MTP, as an incentive to progressing to ME (MTP Examiner), you will also more than likely be sent to IPC anywway, since becoming an ME requires testing out of Methods of Instruction anyway. You end up doing a lot of instructing.

Its all about patience and how to plan out your career. Standards is the most popular track...because it's about flying. Nobody wants Safety, I get it. But as a junior W2 if you're offered the safety course jump on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. While you're getting senior rated by the BN CDR as one his ASOs, keep watch of when the community is short on MTPs, volunteer to go to MTPC enroute to your next duty station. Follow the technique to becoming an IPC as described above.

In 13 years I went from being a WO1 to ASO, fixed wing, MTP/ME, IP and IE just making sure I was in the right place at the right time and prepared to jump on an opportunity nobody else was prepared for.

Mike-

• Like 2

As a follow-on to bing an MTP, as an incentive to progressing to ME (MTP Examiner), you will also more than likely be sent to IPC anywway, since becoming an ME requires testing out of Methods of Instruction anyway. You end up doing a lot of instructing.

Its all about patience and how to plan out your career. Standards is the most popular track...because it's about flying. Nobody wants Safety, I get it. But as a junior W2 if you're offered the safety course jump on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich. While you're getting senior rated by the BN CDR as one his ASOs, keep watch of when the community is short on MTPs, volunteer to go to MTPC enroute to your next duty station. Follow the technique to becoming an IPC as described above.

In 13 years I went from being a WO1 to ASO, fixed wing, MTP/ME, IP and IE just making sure I was in the right place at the right time and prepared to jump on an opportunity nobody else was prepared for.

Mike-

Are you forced to track whatever is available or can you hold out for what you wanna track?

If you truly love flying AND the machines that "take you there" AND you enjoy mechanical stuff and troubleshooting/fixing things, MTP is the track for you. It may be a "lot of work" as some have said, but if you love that sort of stuff, it isn't work---it is more like enjoyable and then when you are all done and are out there in a unit actually doing the job, YOU will have a much better understanding of what makes the machine "tick" than the average pilot in the unit, some of whom won't have a clue what actually makes it work......they may be able to "make it go" perfectly, but when it quits....NADA! Some of the IPs will have a better knowledge than the average pilot, but the MTP folks, by nature of their training and then their much closer association with the "maintainers" than the rest of the pilots will gain a much better knowledge of the aircraft. I can NOT personally vouch for an MTP having a better, more stable and less likely to be forced out career than the rest of the bunch, but they have GOT TO HAVE people doing this job, come war or peace. NOT TO MENTION that an MTP or ME sort has better opportunities to get more "licencing" (ie; A & P stuff) than the average pilot, thus most likely having a broader base and a better chance for a civilian job if the forces do start RIFing folks badly at a time when the civilian side isn't doing a lot of hiring.

And, as someone said, being ready to jump on an opportunity and then go for it is a GOOD WAY to get ahead of the "herd".

When does one typically track during their career?

After making PC and flying for a bit. The flying tracks require you to have 50 hours of PC time.

I tracked IP roughly 3 years after getting my wings, but that included an airframe change.

Being "forced" into a track is relative. As a qualified FCP and IP in the SH-60B (Navy), and a civilian CFI/CFII/MEI, I "wanted" to track IP in the Guard. Instead they asked if I would track MTP. I said, "Sure." I went to schools for almost a year and got qualified as a 60A/L/M pilot and MTP. I walked right into a full time job at the facility. I later qualified as an ME before going to the IPC because I had FOI from my CFI days.​

I think my willingness to track what they needed and doing my best at that track played a major role in getting the full time job, getting recommended for ME, and later getting to go to IPC.

My recommendation is to take every track you can and do the job as though it were your first choice. Let the leadership know you wouldn't mind going to other schools/tracks, but don't bug them about it. Picking up additional ratings in the civilian world on my own time didn't hurt either.

As for when you choose, Safety and TACOPS are the only tracks I have seen someone go to school for without having 50 hours of PC time. Other than myself I have never seen anyone go to the MTPC or IPC without being a PC and having a substantial number of hours in the aircraft as a PC. It's possible but rare.

Concentrate on making PC first.

I don't know about now days, but I knew of guys that NEVER made it for a variety of reasons having to do with everything from absolutely horrible "control touch" to lack of judgement to ability to plan to things like lack of ability to react in a timely and correct manner to some kind of emergency or some external factor affecting the mission/flight/aircraft. On the other hand, I knew of pilots that became a PC in about 4 days after arriving at a new duty station. I guess what I am saying is that it varies from individual to individual, from station to station, and with "manning situations" like turnover rates and how full or not full a unit is and with specific mission demands. Not to mention that there were (and likely are still) things like politics and a pilot's reputation/track record that had an impact on this. Regulations, ATM, number of flight hours and etc aside...the question I always had to ask myself was "Would I want to ride in the back seat as a passenger with this person flying or acting as PC?" The answer had to be a VERY SOLID "YES" before I'd vouch for him/her.

Right now, I would be hard pressed to even guess at an "average" time. Maybe some folks from various duty stations in various theaters can chime in here and provide some kind of an average "timeline" or whatever.