The 21st Century Job Interview?

Astro

I have an interview scheduled for next week on Skype. I have no experience with Skype, so anyone have any tips/suggestions?

What kind of job is the interview for?

General tips for online interviews:

Set a professional scene.

Make sure there is no one else in the house, no tv on etc.

Make sure your phone is on silent.

Dress for an interview in person(read:suit and tie)

Ensure you have good lighting and a good camera angle.

Keep the background professional. Blank wall is best. Bookshelves or a curtained window also acceptable. But you want the interview focused on you. Not your Jack Daniels poster.

DON'T skype on a tablet or phone if avoidable. You want the camera on a stable surface so a computer on a desk works best.

i did a Skype interview once from home in a suit and tie. in the interview they had me stand up to show I was wearing a full suit. Not just wearing it from the waist up.

Hahaha, yeah I wondered about that, so I guess I will wear pants! I know nothing of Skype. How do you know you have a call coming in? Do I have to log on before the prescribed time?

• Like 1

Be sure the room doesn't echo. Put a soft light source, ie window light or a table lamp with shade on the table just to your right out of the view of the camera.

Pet peeve of mine is bad lighting and all the things already mentioned. Funny about wearing suit pants. They would have seen my skivvies! Good luck!

Skype will ring you computer like a phone. Easy, it just pops up. Be sure to test it with a friend first.

It'll ring, like your phone, but yes, you do need to be logged in for it to go through.

Treat the Skype interview no different than you would an in-person interview.

- Dress appropriately (head to toe)

- Act appropriately

- Phone off or on silent

- As mentioned, the background will be seen. Keep it distraction free.

- Separate yourself from roommates, pets, kids. Lock the door if you have to.

Good luck!

I just had a Skype interview today. It hadnt rang yet so I opened the ap to see why...then it rang. Glad I checked otherwise I would have waited for a call that was not able to come.

Its distinctly different over an in person style interview.

Edited by WolftalonID

I just had a Skype interview today. It hadnt rang yet so I opened the ap to see why...then it rang. Glad I checked otherwise I would have waited for a call that was not able to come.

Its distinctly different over an in person style interview.

What sort of questions did they ask?

They asked some POH questions as well as a few regulatory questions. Plus some basic personal type questions. It wasnt a grilling interview by any means, but having been in different aircraft back and forth over the last few months a few of the questions threw me.

Some guys memorize every word of every book, I tend to memorize what is needed,mand refer to charts and placards every flight like using a checklist.

Wasnt Novictor, but honestly...how different can interviews be? They will always be some about what you know, and the rest will be about how you fit in with them. In any job its like this. I never worry too much about what I know, but I do try to at least know something..lol

However being professional, presentable, and socialble always goes along ways in any interview.

• Like 1

Depends on where you are at in your career. My last interview, which was a board interview, had no questions about the ‘POH’ or regulations. In fact, even though I’m not permitted to discuss the content of the interview, I can say, scenario based questions are becoming all the rage…… From that, its a good idea to prepare beyond the obvious…..

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

Well having been through my first Skype interview now I have a tip. Make sure you get the time zone right!

3 hours earlier than I was expecting my tablet rang (sorry Whistler but my computer's too old and probably would have frozen up half way in). Fortunately I was already on my tabet checking email. Unfortunately I was also in my underwear sitting on the can (talk about an echo)!hahaha

Ok that didn't really happen, but how funny would have that been?!

The interview wasn't all that in-depth, basically just your standard phone interview, only they could see me, why they would want to is beyond me, though I am quite the handsome lad.

There was only one question i didn't know, "what are the lateral boundaries of class c airspace?" What can I say, I fly through it, under it, and around it all the time, if you look out the window I can point out where it begins and ends, but I've never felt the need to memorize how many miles it is. Oh' Well?

• Like 1

Sounds like you and I may have interviewed the same place. Lol

That time zone thing had me by an hour..but I at least was already dressed and ready to go.

As we are not habituated with Skype in Leptop and webcam, I usually do in my tablet. One thing which I have never thought and after the interview when I got realize is eye contact. It is a lot more difficult than it may appear. Again, we'll be tempted to keep our eyes on the monitor, but focus instead on the webcam. When we do, interviewers will see us looking at them directly.

• Like 1

I've never done a Skype interview but I've done several informal interviews over the phone calling up several companies. For my current job I talked to the supervisor prior to my interview after he called me up saying I was a finalist for the job. We talked for a while and he mentioned it didn't matter how I dressed for the interview. I showed up wearing fishing shorts and a columbia fishing shirt. I just wish i was wearing my sandals instead of Dockers so I could say I got hired wearing sandals. Everyone else was wearing a suit or khakis and a dress shirt.

I later talked to several of the employees and they thought I was crazy for showing up in shorts and thought I would never be hired. I got hired over a retired Col from the Army and I was just a Captain in the Marines. Dressing counts for only so much, but it depends on the company hiring. If I was going in for an EMS job it would have been in my fitted suit. I feel that how I showed up in shorts helped me more than if I would have showed up in a suit of khakis. Each situation is different and depends on the company hiring.