Resume Review

I am nearly complete with my packet, I am waiting on getting my BN CDR LOR back with a signature, and have been in contact with a Senior Warrant Officer for the interview and LOR.

I would appreciate any help, suggestions, or critique of my Warrant Officer Resume. I have had my chain of command look at it, and have tweaked it grammatically. The vibe on the forum is that the summary is one of the most important parts of the packet, and I want to make sure I am emphasizing the right points.

If you're willing to help please send a .mil email address to my PM. Thank you for your time.

Before the board flames me for a lack of information my "stats" are as follows:

TIS/TIG: 7 years / 3 years

GT: 127

APFT: 265

SIFT: 69

College: BA in Art History, 3.38 GPA

Military Experience: WLC/CL, ALC/DHG, Airborne, Air Assault, 5 NCOERS 1/1 and one 2/2. 12 months rated in E-7 position with 1/1, currently in Battlestaff NCO course, secondary zone promotions to SGT and SSG

Awards: BSM, 2 ARCOM, 3 AAM, CAB, Parachutist Badge, AAslt Badge, various other ribbons and medals

Deployments: 2 OEF, 1 Korean tour

Andrew,

Spend some time searching the forum, there's some very specific and well written guidance on how to best format your resume. The bottom line is we have 2-3 minutes maximum to review your entire packet. If you have several paragraphs of fluff and extra words, your desirable qualities can get lost.

Don't make your CoC find every error, make sure you have a perfect product for them to review. Its up to you to go through the effort of revising and refining.

I look for "key" words highlighting demonstrated leadership experience, and indicators a candidate will make a good officer and aviator. Standard civilian resume writing formatting and rules apply. Grammar, composition, and spelling go without saying, that's the quickest way to make it to the bottom of the pile. Your reviewing SWO should already be catching this stuff since his name is on the bottom line as having reviewed your entire packet before submission.

Mike-

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The bottom line is we have 2-3 minutes maximum to review your entire packet. If you have several paragraphs of fluff and extra words, your desirable qualities can get lost.

Mike,

How important is it to put all of your work history on the resume? I have some good stuff to put in the resume from my time in the Navy, but I have been a civilian for a few years and wonder if it is a waste for time, for all parties, to keep it chronologically accurate.

Would it be better to exclude jobs where success is not necessarily quantifiable, e.g. part time retail while attending college?

***EDIT*** I found the answer. For those interested, here is the link http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/Sample_Packet.pdf.

The resume is a different format than the current one supplied on the website (maybe I can play with the format?). On page 10 there is a section for civilian employment stating

"...do not list civilian employment/experience if it does not pertain to being an warrant officer or to the warrant officer specialty you are applying for."

Edited by Marty86

Mike,

How important is it to put all of your work history on the resume? I have some good stuff to put in the resume from my time in the Navy, but I have been a civilian for a few years and wonder if it is a waste for time, for all parties, to keep it chronologically accurate.

Would it be better to exclude jobs where success is not necessarily quantifiable, e.g. part time retail while attending college?

Include your Navy experience only if it's directly relatable to the Army. Examples would be leadership positions you held, or if you were an Aircrewman, aviation mechanic, airborne school, etc.

List any past jobs you had unless space is an issue, then prioritize the ones that will give you the most mileage, minimize or delete the rest.

Mike-

• Like 1

List any past jobs you had unless space is an issue, then prioritize the ones that will give you the most mileage, minimize or delete the rest.

Mike-

Space will be an issue. Good advice. I will concentrate on the heavy hitters.

If you aren't including all jobs, it doesn't hurt to make sure your work experience heading says "select" work experience. Not sure if this applies as much in the mil as it does in the civilian sector since they are already outlining what they want to see online.

Mike

• Like 1

If you aren't including all jobs, it doesn't hurt to make sure your work experience heading says "select" work experience. Not sure if this applies as much in the mil as it does in the civilian sector since they are already outlining what they want to see online.

Mike

I think this might be taken care of on the newest version of the form. Basically, list any civilian jobs that specifically relates to the warrant officer position you are applying for.

I will be omitting the majority of my civilian jobs before I joined the military, so that should give me plenty of room.

***If anyone could give my resume a look, I would be grateful. PM me if you are willing. Constructive criticism welcomed to improve my packet.

Thanks in advance!