Inter service Transfer

I'm looking for some insight on the process for transferring services so I know what to look forward to. I am coming from the Navy and will have to go through some sort of BCT.

I'm curious if there is a modified version for prior service at what to expect.

Also, how long did it take to complete the process from the time of selection to leaving for BCT?

You will have to go through normal BCT. Depending on your current rank/grade, you may be treated differently and/or have certain privileges that new privates do not. I haven't experienced it firsthand yet, but I have heard the BCT experience varies widely amongst prior service transfers. Some have been treated very differently than others.

As far as time frame, you will most likely receive a WOCS date that has you starting BCT very soon. However, the people in the accessions office that schedule WOCS classes are more than happy to work with you about class dates. When I called, I was told that they just make an educated guess when scheduling prior service transfers. They don't know your individual situation so they can only use the info they have.

They graciously delayed my start date so I could train my inbound replacement (I'm in a very small, specialized unit), move my family back to the US from Germany, and out process the Air Force.

If someone is in the Air Guard, how difficult is it to transfer to the Army Guard mid-way through your term? Is this easier than transferring to AD Army?

If you are looking to transfer as Enlisted to Enlisted, then it is a straight forward, reasonably painless process:

1. Go visit the unit you wish to transfer into during the week. Talk with the full-time Unit Administrator;
  2. Verify they have a slot the gaining unit will accept you into;
  3. Take a Class 2 flight physical (I am assuming you are wanting to be in an aviation unit);
  4. Most likely when all the above is completed, come back on a drill weekend and interview with the Chain of Command and other part timers;
  5. If acceptable to the gaining unit, Complete DD Form 368 Conditional Release and take back to your current (losing unit) for signatures up the chain
  6. Be prepared to articulate to your current chain of command why this is a good deal for both you personally and the military as a whole. (Most units understand a soldier/airmen wanting to better themselves, different direction, etc. But if you are in a specialized AFSC and in a unit with manning issues, it may take explaining.)

Going from Enlisted to Enlisted as listed above, depending on the units, should take 60-90 days.

If you are wanting to go from Enlisted to flying WO, then you will have to start with the WO recruiter at the State level and work an entire WOFT package just like anyone else. The DD Form 368 will be required at some point in the process, but near the end. Total time could be 12-18 months to never.... depending on the State and the needs at the time.

If your ultimate goal is WOFT and you have time (ie age) then I suggest going enlisted to enlisted first. Get into a flying unit in a flying MOS. After a year or so, start asking the WOFT questions. Two small steps can sometimes be easier than one giant leap.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

I know this forum relates mostly to aviation, but....

How difficult is it for an Army Guard officer (non-rated) to transfer to the Air Guard while keeping their same officer (non-rated) rank?

I can't speak directly to that question, but maybe I can offer some insight that relates to the question. In 1998 I transferred from the Army Guard to the Air Guard as a rated pilot. I transferred with no break in service, in grade, in flight status, etc. Basically I was in the Army Guard one day and the Air Guard the next. So I don't know personally about a non-rated Officer, but I am sure it happens.

Just my random thoughts:

1. There will be pain;
  2. For every AR or AFI, there is an equal NGB Regulation that will most likely provide an exception or waiver;
  3. The answer will always be NO if you don't go ask and try;
  4. Never accept the first NO you receive as the final answer;
  5. You must have a skill or a reason for the gaining unit to want you (remember #1 above. This applies to the unit also);
  6. The more junior the rank the better. LT or junior CPT is best. Major or above will be slim to no possibility;
  7. Geography matters. Living close to the gaining unit and having a civilian job which allows above and beyond participation is a plus.
  8. Expect to make at least one trip to the State HQ and visit the Personnel Officer and hand deliver paperwork;
  9. Dumb luck and timing matters;
  10. Don't burn bridges at your current unit; Be a team player until the end;
  11. Always remember #1 above

I spent 27 years(evenly split at 13 1/2 yrs each) in both the Army Guard and the Air Guard before retiring. It was a great ride and I was incredibly blessed to have done the things I did. I was abundantly gifted with #9 above.

The 2nd post is spot on. If you need any Navy specific questions feel free to hit me up, I made the switch in may of last year from the reserves to active army. I was selected in may and on the bus to BCT 12 days later.

You will go through full basic. The warrior transition course hasn't been around since 2013 or so. I was treated like an NCO when they needed a babysitter and a private when they didn't. Expect the worst. There are plenty of rules and regs that say you should be treated otherwise, but by the time you get to BCT no one is going to listen and pretty much laugh at you when you show them the regs. Easy enough to just push through it. Depending on when you went through Great Lakes you might find that army BCT is a lot easier, just more walking.

• Like 1

I can't speak directly to that question, but maybe I can offer some insight that relates to the question. In 1998 I transferred from the Army Guard to the Air Guard as a rated pilot. I transferred with no break in service, in grade, in flight status, etc. Basically I was in the Army Guard one day and the Air Guard the next. So I don't know personally about a non-rated Officer, but I am sure it happens.

Just my random thoughts:

1. There will be pain;
  2. For every AR or AFI, there is an equal NGB Regulation that will most likely provide an exception or waiver;
  3. The answer will always be NO if you don't go ask and try;
  4. Never accept the first NO you receive as the final answer;
  5. You must have a skill or a reason for the gaining unit to want you (remember #1 above. This applies to the unit also);
  6. The more junior the rank the better. LT or junior CPT is best. Major or above will be slim to no possibility;
  7. Geography matters. Living close to the gaining unit and having a civilian job which allows above and beyond participation is a plus.
  8. Expect to make at least one trip to the State HQ and visit the Personnel Officer and hand deliver paperwork;
  9. Dumb luck and timing matters;
  10. Don't burn bridges at your current unit; Be a team player until the end;
  11. Always remember #1 above

I spent 27 years(evenly split at 13 1/2 yrs each) in both the Army Guard and the Air Guard before retiring. It was a great ride and I was incredibly blessed to have done the things I did. I was abundantly gifted with #9 above.

Great insight. You mention NGB often providing exceptions/waivers. In general, does the Guard tend to "bend the rules" more so than the Reserve? How do the cultures of the Guard and Reserve components differ?

Did the requirements change for inter-service transfers ? I was an enlisted Navy E-7, swore in at MEPs, and was instantly an Army SFC. Got orders directly to Ft Rucker and WOC school. I even in-processed in civilian clothes because all I had was Navy uniforms...

Mike-

They must have. I hand to include in my application that I understood I would have to attend BCT because the Navy doesn't train us with rifles and such. I do keep my rank though. Should be interesting.

Great insight. You mention NGB often providing exceptions/waivers. In general, does the Guard tend to "bend the rules" more so than the Reserve?

I don't think you can call it "bending the rules" if there is a Regulation, which addresses a particular personnel issue, that allows either an exception or waiver process. Remember, just because a waiver or exception is available, it does not automatically mean that it will be approved. The gaining unit Chain of Command must endorse and approve the process. Without that approval, you are a dead in the water. Remember #5 & 9 above.

How do the cultures of the Guard and Reserve components differ?

The Guard and Reserves are two totally separate animals. The Army Reserve is governed by Title 10 USC, and must adhere to the same AR's as Active Duty.

The Guard Bureau, both Army and Air Guard, are established under Title 32 USC. The Guard has a dual mission of both State Support and Federal go-to-war mission. The split point from the Federal and the State mission is the State Adjutant General or the TAG. Most of the NGB's mirror the AR's. However, I think (my opinion here) that the personnel regulations take more into account the geographical nature of a Guard unit, the State Support mission and are more flexible in order to asses members into the unit, who may have prior AD or Reserves service with another branch of the military. Remember #7 above.

Did the requirements change for inter-service transfers ? I was an enlisted Navy E-7, swore in at MEPs, and was instantly an Army SFC. Got orders directly to Ft Rucker and WOC school. I even in-processed in civilian clothes because all I had was Navy uniforms...

Mike-

Your prior job excluded you from having to attend BCT like most Navy transfers. Other than that, your process was the same as mine, coming from the Marine Corps.

Mike-

Certains MOS' are excluded from the rule. IIRC any spec ops positions, and all marines, were not required to go to BCT. However, my buddy was a marine and had to go to BCT because his break in service was too long.

• 2 weeks later...

I am E-5 active duty Navy and got selected on the January board. I received my notification of my Warrant Officer class slot (021) in the email the other day but no information about the actual process of transferring services. My recruiter gave me a civilians email (Ms. Tharp) to contact but I have not heard back from her. I am currently deployed and getting information seems to be a bit tougher than I thought it would be. Any previous inter-service transfers with a thought as to what my next step should be, it would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I am E-5 active duty Navy and got selected on the January board. I received my notification of my Warrant Officer class slot (021) in the email the other day but no information about the actual process of transferring services. My recruiter gave me a civilians email (Ms. Tharp) to contact but I have not heard back from her. I am currently deployed and getting information seems to be a bit tougher than I thought it would be. Any previous inter-service transfers with a thought as to what my next step should be, it would be greatly appreciated!

Like Creep said, you're going to have the start the process all over again through the recruiter as if you're a new enlistee....minus the flight physical at MEPS. I just got done with all of that and now I'm just waiting for my "ship" date on March 23rd and my EAS from the Marine Corps will be March 22nd. I'm still waiting on them to change my EAS though... Since this process isn't common nobody really knows what's going on and you may hit a few minor bumps in the road

Good luck, don't read too much into how the Army does just about everything. Not sure about the BCT thing, my story mirrors stearmann4's as a PO1 one day, SSG the next walking around the WOCS building in civies. I do have a buddy that had the break in service, so boot then WOCS for him, he turned out fine.

If paperwork gets screwed up, you can get reduced in rank. I transferred services in May 2015. My MEPS was a cluster, so they told me I had to drop down in rank from E-6 to E-5. There had already been three delays and this came up the day I was supposed to ship, it was only a three month reduction from BCT through WOCS so I just decided to be bitter about it and harbor a deep hatred of MEPS for the rest of my life. It worked out well.

• Like 1

Was there a gap in pay when transferring from another service?

I've also heard that my wife's ID will immediately be "deactivated" restricting her from base until she gets a new one and we will have to re-enroll the whole family in DEERS before they can be seen. Any truth to this? Doesn't sound right to me.

Was there a gap in pay when transferring from another service?

I've also heard that my wife's ID will immediately be "deactivated" restricting her from base until she gets a new one and we will have to re-enroll the whole family in DEERS before they can be seen. Any truth to this? Doesn't sound right to me.

I didn't have a pay gap at all, you may miss one paycheck depending on when you get processed into the Army pay system. I did however have all of my leave sold without my permission.

Yes your wife's ID will no longer be active, however she can go get a new one immediately there is just one for you need to fill out at the ID card center that authorizes her to get a new ID without your present.