DITY move tips

I am wondering if anyone has any DITY (Do it yourself) moving tips they would like to share. My moving day is getting closer and closer and I would like to know some good methods or hear some lessons learned from anyone. Any info is greatly appreciated.

...... also, does anyone have any good ideas on moving a full freezer cross country? Thanks

I've only done two DITY moves in my almost 9 years. I've heard you can get Permissive TDY from either your losing or gaining unit. It's much easier to request it and get it approved from your losing unit thought, from what I've heard and never had an issue with getting it through your losing unit.

Ensure you try and properly estimate what size moving truck you need. I never want to be halfway loaded with all my household goods just to realize my truck is way too small. A buddy of mine almost had this issue, though he managed to stuff something in every free inch of space and make it work.

Make sure you get your Housing Stamp on your DA Form 31 when you arrive to your new installation. I haven't messed this up, but I've heard of this being an issue.

If you're reporting to your new unit after Flight School with more than one person, don't be the last one to show up if you don't want to be the fridge person. I thought I would spend as much time with my wife as I could before reporting to work. Found out both of the guys I showed up with pawned it off on me haha

Just keep all your receipts and you can't go wrong really. My wife is super organized and kept everything.

If you are using your Government Credit Card, ensure you are saving up enough money ahead of time to pay it off. If you don't have the money, you can request a pay advance when you first arrive. Then they will have you pay off the advance over the next 12 months.

Like I said I've only done two so don't know much but these are just afew basics.

Turns out if you trailer a car behind the moving truck, the car doesn't count as shipment weight so be sure to get your empty weight of the truck, with trailer and car. Then load up and get a loaded weight...

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do mean a freezer full of frozen meat. That's the issue. So far I have come up with: dry ice on the top rack or buying a small generator to run power to the freezer while enroute.

DA Form 31 leave request form? I am coming from civilian status, so will that apply to me?

I am definitely going to save and track everything that involves the move. I don't have to worry about the gov travel card, because I don't have one.

Yammer, thanks for the insight on the tow trailer. I probably wouldn't of thought of that. Does the Army pay for the transportation of pov's via a third party transport company? Or is that cost on me?

Against, thanks for the insight and information.

I don't know the answer to that. We trailered one and wife drove the other one and they pay for travel based on mileage and loaded/empty weight of both moving truck and my other vehicle that we drove. Save those fuel receipts and depending on the distance any lodging or food while enroute too.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do mean a freezer full of frozen meat. That's the issue. So far I have come up with: dry ice on the top rack or buying a small generator to run power to the freezer while enroute.

Not sure how a generator would work inside a closed truck, the exhaust would be a factor both in the bed of the truck and the cab, pretty risky.

How many days will you be on the road?

The best bet may be to pack the meat in a cooler with dry ice. The smaller area of a cooler will allow you to pack it tighter with the dry ice and keep the temp down during transport.

Worse case, you would be making a stop at the commissary as soon as you arrive.

I agree, having a generator inside would be a bad idea. I will be pulling a car hauler, so if I secured it under the front of my jeep and ran an extension line into the back of the truck then I would avoid the exhaust exposure. I'd just have to fill it with gas every few hours. Still kind of a sketchy idea, I know. Dry ice, like you said, is probably the best course. I should be on the road for about 3 days. Looking forward to this 2230 mile drive!

The meat will stay frozen in your freezer for three days with minimal thawing. My father-in-law is an appliance repair man and we had the same question for him. He said you could leave a deep freeze unplugged for a week, as long as it's not real hot outside, and the contents would stay frozen. The dry ice would just help to guarantee that though.