Army Pilot

Gumby39

I'm sure this is my best bet, but I am looking for information on becoming an Army Pilot. I have been talking to a recruiter this past week as I am getting closer to wanting to join, but he seems not to know to much about the whole process based off the info I have read.

Based off of what my recruiter says my best bet is to become a repairer/mechanic for one of the four main helicopters. Once I get the experience it will give me a foot in the door to get a good chance at being selected into the program. Now based off of the goarmy website this isn't really the case, but I wasn't supplied much info there either other than a website about the WOFT school and packet. No info on the direction I should go.

That being said, I would love some more info on what I need to do. Should I wait and take some flight courses and then apply as a citizen, or should I enlist in an aviation mos and then build experience to then apply. I'm really looking for my best chance possible since helicopter pilot has been my main objective since the thought of the Army and Air Force has crossed my mind.

Thank you in advance!

You might want to read through the military section of this forum. If you do some digging and searching, I'm sure that your question has been asked before. There is a lot of very good info, you just need to do some digging.

My two cents on the matter is that you should remember that recruiters can be like used cars salesmen. Not all are, but some will say anything to get you to sign the dotted line.

• Like 1

As an Army pilot who joined "street-to-seat," do not trust anything the recruiter tells you. Of course they want you to join as an enlisted mechanic -- less paperwork and they get 'points' toward awards, promotions, etc. from enlistees (not from warrant officers).

The good news is that there's a TON of information, particularly on this forum, regarding WOFT. Don't bother with "flight courses" to get enrolled unless you think you'll use a commercial-instrument airplane rating after the Army. If you've never flown before, I do recommend -- at the minimum -- getting an intro flight done at your local airport's flight school. They're usually under $100 and it gives you an idea if it's something to pursue. There's quite a few people that come through Army flight school and don't like flying; their expectations vs. reality did not align. If you're looking at enhancing your packet, a 4-year college degree is going to have a lot of weight in the selection process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also do not think you will join and being flying everyday saving the world or having fun. You'll also have Additional Duties that you will be working on when you are not flying.I have about 5 Additional Duties. ALSE, Physical Security, Fridge Fund, Plaques, NVG Custodian, etc.

• Like 1