Looking for Advice/Success Stories for Moral Waiver

Hey everyone,

Putting together my packet for WOCS/WOFT as a civilian. Looking pretty good score and PFT-wise. I am worried about my moral waivers though. I have to submit waivers for (3) offenses that were dropped, expunged, or non-adjudicated.

To summarize, I have three charges which were dropped and/or expunged from my public record. As a part of my due diligence to the United States Army, I must list all charges regardless of their sealed status if an arrest was made or probation was served. As a juvenile, I was arrested at a checkpoint for a DUI, but was released later that night due to my BAC being below the minor legal limit. I personally apologized to the court and they chose to non-adjudicate and expunge my record. In December of 2014, I was arrested outside of a house for waiting in the driver’s seat of my designated driver’s car while under the influence of alcohol. I did not have keys in the ignition and was not attempting to drive, however the car was parked on the wrong side of a residential road which prompted the officer to question me. When I refused to breathalyze, I was arrested and spent the night in jail. In March of 2015, my lawyer met with the prosecutor before trial and they decided to lower charges to disorderly conduct (as a result of refusal) and improper parking, as well as expunging these charges from my record in exchange for a fine. Outside of court mandate, I voluntarily chose to receive counseling from my church pastor and have since stayed away from drinking in excess to remove myself from any possibility of association. Finally, a friend and I took some bikes off a rack one night to ride across campus. Stupid decision, it was 1am after a long library session and they had been laying on the ground by the rack unlocked for weeks, we figured we'd ride them back later. Turns out a campus police officer knew we took them and asked us to bring them back so they didn't have to arrest us. We did and the owners of the bikes pressed charges. We went to court for a theft 3 misdemeanor and the judge said he would drop all charges in exchange for community service. End of story.

I know I have to fill out waivers, but I am concerned about whether they will automatically get rejected because two were initially DUI arrests, even though the court either dropped the charges or changed them. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and had your waivers approved?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Putting together my packet for WOCS/WOFT as a civilian. Looking pretty good score and PFT-wise. I am worried about my moral waivers though. I have to submit waivers for (3) offenses that were dropped, expunged, or non-adjudicated.

To summarize, I have three charges which were dropped and/or expunged from my public record. As a part of my due diligence to the United States Army, I must list all charges regardless of their sealed status if an arrest was made or probation was served. As a juvenile, I was arrested at a checkpoint for a DUI, but was released later that night due to my BAC being below the minor legal limit. I personally apologized to the court and they chose to non-adjudicate and expunge my record. In December of 2014, I was arrested outside of a house for waiting in the driver’s seat of my designated driver’s car while under the influence of alcohol. I did not have keys in the ignition and was not attempting to drive, however the car was parked on the wrong side of a residential road which prompted the officer to question me. When I refused to breathalyze, I was arrested and spent the night in jail. In March of 2015, my lawyer met with the prosecutor before trial and they decided to lower charges to disorderly conduct (as a result of refusal) and improper parking, as well as expunging these charges from my record in exchange for a fine. Outside of court mandate, I voluntarily chose to receive counseling from my church pastor and have since stayed away from drinking in excess to remove myself from any possibility of association. Finally, a friend and I took some bikes off a rack one night to ride across campus. Stupid decision, it was 1am after a long library session and they had been laying on the ground by the rack unlocked for weeks, we figured we'd ride them back later. Turns out a campus police officer knew we took them and asked us to bring them back so they didn't have to arrest us. We did and the owners of the bikes pressed charges. We went to court for a theft 3 misdemeanor and the judge said he would drop all charges in exchange for community service. End of story.

I know I have to fill out waivers, but I am concerned about whether they will automatically get rejected because two were initially DUI arrests, even though the court either dropped the charges or changed them. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and had your waivers approved?

Very good questions, however, not knowing if you will ever get a 100% chance of a correct answer, I think what you need to do is just go for it and apply with the necessary waivers. Even though I didn't have to submit a waiver before I was accepted, I have been around the Army long enough to know that every case has it's own unique flavor, and I don't think you will get the definitive answer you are looking for on this forum for those exact reasons.

If this is truly your goal in life, just go for it. Go through the ass-pain of putting together a packet, and hopefully the board will be able to look past a few dumb decisions you made as a youth (don't worry, I know almost all of us live in a glass house, and who hasn't made some questionable decisions as a minor).

Again, I like to believe that like most boards in the military, the whole man concept is evaluated, and if you have enough separation (mainly time) from those events in your past, and your track record and accomplishments since then have been exemplary, I think you owe it to yourself to take the leap and just go for it, at least so that down the line later in life you don't have to ask yourself "what if"?

Just my .02 cents.

I agree with 153, if you don't at least try you will always have the "what if" lingering. Try, if you don't get it, you will at least know a definite answer. I had a waiver for an eye injury, I was told that 95% of eye waivers are denied besides Lasik, I still went for it.

You really have nothing to lose in just trying.

While reading your post, I noticed you write professionally and "grammar good." Keep that up on the wavier and follow the guidance given about showing contrition and sharing what you do for the community at large that shows you are a productive and responsible member of your community. If you're just starting the process of applying, I would suggest getting some sort of volunteer work under your belt to show you mean business.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt though. I had a Minor in Consumption at 20 and am making an application with 9 years of active duty at 29. I haven't been accepted yet and my wavier is in progress right now. Hopefully, I get the wavier in time for the May board and am accepted for training.

Like 153orbust said, we ALL have done dumb things. Some of us got caught. I had three different pilots jokingly tell me that an alcohol charge is just about a requirement to become an Army pilot.

Good luck and ride your recruiter hard to push things along.

While reading your post, I noticed you write professionally and "grammar good." Keep that up on the wavier and follow the guidance given about showing contrition and sharing what you do for the community at large that shows you are a productive and responsible member of your community. If you're just starting the process of applying, I would suggest getting some sort of volunteer work under your belt to show you mean business.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt though. I had a Minor in Consumption at 20 and am making an application with 9 years of active duty at 29. I haven't been accepted yet and my wavier is in progress right now. Hopefully, I get the wavier in time for the May board and am accepted for training.

Like 153orbust said, we ALL have done dumb things. Some of us got caught. I had three different pilots jokingly tell me that an alcohol charge is just about a requirement to become an Army pilot.

Geez you still haven't gotten word about your waiver? That's frustrating I'm sure.. Hope you hear something soon, if it were me I would be blowing up some phone lines trying to get an answer at this point. The site says moral waivers take 4-6 weeks to approve I believe.

Geez you still haven't gotten word about your waiver? That's frustrating I'm sure.. Hope you hear something soon, if it were me I would be blowing up some phone lines trying to get an answer at this point. The site says moral waivers take 4-6 weeks to approve I believe.

The recruiter said if my wavier doesn't make it through in time for the board, "there's a glitch in the Matrix and we're all about to die." I still blow up his phone constantly.

The recruiter said if my wavier doesn't make it through in time for the board, "there's a glitch in the Matrix and we're all about to die." I still blow up his phone constantly.

Are you active duty? are you speaking about a warrant officer recruiter or a legit recruiter? I emailed my updates last night at like 7:00PM and received an email this morning that it was updated good to go. I've had nothing but quick responses when talking to the recruiting team directly.

I have similar questions about moral waivers. I am prior service and i have several NJPs on file with no severe punishment. I am seeking to apply to WOFT and i was told I have to submit Moral Waivers for each. Does anyone have any tips on submitting Moral Waivers for WOFT as prior service?

Are you active duty? are you speaking about a warrant officer recruiter or a legit recruiter? I emailed my updates last night at like 7:00PM and received an email this morning that it was updated good to go. I've had nothing but quick responses when talking to the recruiting team directly.

Active duty. They're always very quick with updates, but the moral wavier process is a black box that nobody gets to peer into.

Active duty. They're always very quick with updates, but the moral wavier process is a black box that nobody gets to peer into.

I submitted my packet at the end of February with a moral waiver request. I sent an updated DA photo last week and was notified that my packet status was pending moral waiver review.

I pestered the WO recruiting team in March about the process. I was told the request goes through proponent for a recommendation, then G1 for a decision, and the final disposition is "released by Army staff the week/days prior to the board".

• 2 weeks later...

My moral wavier was approved. Good luck everyone out there needing a wavier.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if prior MJ use requires a waiver or disqualifying? This would be from years past, in HS, 7 times, rec use.

Yup. Gonna need a waiver. Possible PDQ. Not sure how many times they will allow.

Does anyone know if prior MJ use requires a waiver or disqualifying? This would be from years past, in HS, 7 times, rec use.

Did you get charged with it? If not don't disclose that..at all. They can't run a piss test that goes back years. Trust me, don't even tell your recruiter. It may seem shady to some but smoking weed a few times doesn't make you any less qualified than someone who hasn't, but the army frowns upon anything weed related.

Did you get charged with it? If not don't disclose that..at all. They can't run a piss test that goes back years. Trust me, don't even tell your recruiter. It may seem shady to some but smoking weed a few times doesn't make you any less qualified than someone who hasn't, but the army frowns upon anything weed related.

Too late - already on paperwork when I was going to enlist coming out of high school. Any branch does frown upon the use of such of that nature, however now I know the obstacle, cannot claim I mis-remember the events, just hopefully frame the issue the best way possible in hopes that I can have a waiver approved.

Too late - already on paperwork when I was going to enlist coming out of high school. Any branch does frown upon the use of such of that nature, however now I know the obstacle, cannot claim I mis-remember the events, just hopefully frame the issue the best way possible in hopes that I can have a waiver approved.

Well good luck. Hopefully it works out in your favor.

• 3 years later...

I got in trouble when I was around 13 and got 2 felonies and 2 misdemeanors. Years later I got in trouble again for MJ possession . I know I'll need a waiver for all of them but I was wondering if there's anything I can do on my end to raise my chances of being noticed or accepted?

I actually was just about to post about waivers, this post made for a pleasant read. Pertaining to waivers I will say this, pay attention to detail, this is where I failed and ultimately got a simple waiver denied and now have another 6 months left on my year wait to resubmit. Here is where I sucked and where I would advice paying close attention so that maybe you might have better results. 

There is a memo format the waiver needs to be in, take that temple and follow the easy ass instructions. Both my recuiter and myself failed to see this. My product was a 5 sentence statement word document for my hunting violation. That memo also mentions if its not in that format it will be looked at as if it were not taken serious by the applicant. 

Also include any adjuticating information and most importantly a character reference letter from an individual. It doesnt have to be an aviator just someone that can attest to your character. I did not do either. You can have the best packet put together, but if you need a moral waiver and over look something like I did, you might get to a result thats unfortunate like I did. 

Good luck man!!!

Also to anyone who might think this is useful information. Waivers get approved/disapproved about t-14 days from the board and consider it a "mini board" from my understanding (if you want a good POC on waivers slide into my DMs).  I was informed that my NCOERs, education and flight experience were looked at and my disapproval memo mentioned something to the effect: though I have applied myself academically, and other mumbo jumbo, there were enough applicants not needing waivers that the need for a waiver was to be unapproved. Sounds weird but pretty much there were enough applicant not needing waivers, they pretty much said naw homie. I was also informed that my NCOERs were not "most qualified" that qualified and highly quailfied were not what they were looking for at the time. This brought me to the conclusion that not only were my half-ass waiver documents looked at but also other portions of my WOFT applications. This is not to say that I recieved a NonSelect, I just got denied a waiver. 

• 1 year later...

I had to submit a moral waiver request for my packet as well. Follow the example provided on the website. Make sure that you are using proper grammar. Be clear and and to the point, no need to give a whole story. If anyone was wondering, mine was for a FG that I received as a SGT for fraternization. My waiver was approved and I ended up getting selected. I was hesitant to put my packet in because of this, but I’m glad I did. You never know until you try, worse they can say is no.