Commercial check ride scheduled for the11th.

tradford

I told myself the day of my PPL check ride that I was done with ratings. From that point on, I was just going to fly for fun (which I've done).

Now, here it is two years later and I'm training for the CPL. The vast majority of my 200 hours are in an R22, but I decided to do the commercial in a 44. I've flown the 44 a few times, but I find it different enough to prompt me to polish my skill a bit before I've got a DPE in the left seat critiquing me every step of the way

Once I pass, I'll at least be able to accrue some 'free 44 time' flying weekend tours out of our home field and at regional air shows & festivals.

Written - done, 5 hours instrument - done, two hour night solo - done. Nothing left but a few hours of PTS maneuvers and the dreaded check ride. I'll be so glad when it's over.

• Like 2

The first time I climbed into an R-44 (during my instrument training) I told myself, the hell with this career flying thing, I need to find a way to buy one of these and just fly for fun. That may be part of the reason there's a three year gap between my PPL and Commercial.

Anyway, the best thing about the Commercial checkride is that its the same as the PPL except you're a much better pilot,...piece of cake (just trust your abilities)!

• Like 1

Well done, Tony! Even if you're not intending to make a career out of flying for a living, it's nice to know that you can pick up a few bucks here and there hopping rides. Have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks. I have a tendency to make things harder than they need to be. I just turned 63 yesterday and my coordination skills aren't what they used to be. When flying our little Beta II with a fellow pilot and the main tank topped off, she's anything but a rocket. When I'm in one of the Raven IIs, I feel like I'm holding reins on a race horse. The 22 is fun, but you can't beat the additional power and comforts of a 44.

• Like 1

Thanks. I have a tendency to make things harder than they need to be. I just turned 63 yesterday and my coordination skills aren't what they used to be. When flying our little Beta II with a fellow pilot and the main tank topped off, she's anything but a rocket. When I'm in one of the Raven IIs, I feel like I'm holding reins on a race horse. The 22 is fun, but you can't beat the additional power and comforts of a 44.

I agree, although the 22 is very responsive when you are on your own and is a great little machine for the private pilots out there. The 44 is very different, much smoother too, AND you can have other people with you. Makes you wonder what its like to fly a 66!

Well, we just added a 66 to our fleet yesterday. What a steal at $950/hour. No, I'm an R22 guy with the benefit of an occasional shot at a nice 44. As Dirty Harry once said - "Every man needs to know his limitations".

• Like 1

• 1 year later...