• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Well, obviously flying and anything aviation...but motorcycling as well. And drinking (when I'm not riding of course!). Oh, and Facebook. Always on Facebook (Bob Barbanes).
  • Company working for:Golden Wings Aviation, Brewster, WA (part-time)

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:50

The things Freddy said to me were so outrageous that sometimes I wonder if maybe it was just an act? I mean I know I don't have the most likeable personality (why do you think it took ten years to get hired,...Hell just ask NR he's the only member who has actually met me, and he didn't hire me even after saying, "All we care about is can you can fly the helicopter, and we know you can fly", so it had to be my personality he didn't like).

I hate to dredge this up all this time later, but I found this post and thought I'd better address it.

Yes butters, you are a...strange...guy.  But not the strangest helicopter pilot I've ever met, believe you me.  In the years since we interacted, I've interviewed pilots who pegged the "Strange" meter.  We have had some real..."characters" pass through.  Some of them got hired and worked out, some did not.  Some we would never ask back in a million years even though they flew okay.

We absolutely could've put up with your idiosyncratic personality.  Heck, as I said, all helicopter pilots are a little weird in their own way.  Based on the intro flight that *I* flew with you, your flying certainly was good enough for us to take you on.  I'll give you that - you're a good pilot.  And yeah, I did (and do) say that I only care about a person's ability to fly the helicopter.  

But there's something important that goes along with that...

What put you in the "Not Hireable" category was your fear of heights.  When I climbed up on the transmission deck of the S-55 to show you the preflight of the trans and rotor head, you seemed hesitant.  When I said, "Come on up," and jokingly asked if you were afraid of heights, your response was, and I quote, "I'm not but my legs are."  BZZZZT!  Show-stopper right there. 

The tail rotor 90 degree gearbox is 14 feet off the ground.  Checking the oil level in it involves standing on top of a *tall* ladder. It's precarious  If we could not count on you to preflight the ship, as well as do the other routine maintenance items (like greasing the main rotor head and tail rotor), then we simply had no use for you.  Perhaps one of the R-44 operators would be a better "fit."  

I hate to break it to you, but it wasn't your personality that caused you to not get the job drying cherries with us.

Sorry.

#42 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Interests:Remembering when I used to admire the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet, alone in the 22 :(

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:39

Wow, we really have run out of things to talk about here!

Well, for what its worth Bob, I was actually in Washington a few months ago, got hired to fly those 58s,...'course (as I'm sure you know) they hire sight unseen over the phone.

Sadly though, I had to quit on my first flight (had me in an old Enstrom to start) because of an injury to my left arm I had sustained at my regular job (driving a semi for Fedex) a few months earlier that wasn't as healed over as I had thought.

In short when I pulled up on the collective my left arm hurt like a mutherf*cker!,...felt like it was being ripped off in fact. Sure, I had flown the 22 a few times with no pain at all, but the 22's collective is so light you can pick it up with two fingers. That Enstrom though,...f*cker felt like a 50 lbs dumbell!

Anyway, that's strike two on bad first days at work for old butters. My arm's doing better now (after a second cortisone shot) but I won't be trying for a cherry job next season.

Truth is, I don't want to drive for a living anymore, but I don't want to fly for a living anymore either, so,...?
https//:https://youtu.be/oY-pdk_FWh0

R.I.P. flying for fun :(

Can't believe I got banned from JustHypocrites,...again!

,...oh wait, yes I can :D

#43 Nearly Retired

Nearly Retired

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Well, obviously flying and anything aviation...but motorcycling as well. And drinking (when I'm not riding of course!). Oh, and Facebook. Always on Facebook (Bob Barbanes).
  • Company working for:Golden Wings Aviation, Brewster, WA (part-time)

Posted 27 August 2019 - 20:20

Soooo...you better hope you can make a living as a male gigolo?

Sorry to hear about your experience with ADF.  I know they use the Enstrom for training although none of us understand why.  You should train in the aircraft you're going to fly.  Learning how to dry in an Enstrom and then going out and doing it for real in an S-58 doesn't seem very smart.

Speaking of which...  The S-58 has the same preflight requirements as the S-55 in terms of climbing up to high places to check (and grease) the M/R head and T/R hub.  Just curious as to how you were planning on dealing with that?

#44 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Interests:Remembering when I used to admire the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet, alone in the 22 :(

Posted 27 August 2019 - 22:39

You know Bob, instead of starting that up again, just enjoy this,...

#45 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:12

Kinda off the topic, but fear of heights - acrophobia is common in the human population, even pilots.  Perhaps especially pilots, I have heard that mentioned.

I applaud NR's decision to decline to put you on the line, however.

The hardest part of flying is the dedication to the stuff one could probably skip today...  Preflight, planning, W&B, all that other bull.  Especially on job so routine you could do it in your sleep.  Then it's not just today that you skip something.  And then you're skipping stuff routinely.

And then you crash.

That attitude is exactly why I retired.  Forty-something years of flying and I was forcing myself out to check the aircraft, and in particular, dreading the next training session.  I'm not a great stick and I know it, but I always prided myself on the work, all the work, the details, detail knowledge and my drive to do it each and every time the best that I could.  When I started taking shortcuts, I realized, the job isn't as important as it once was to me.  Time to quit before I embarrass myself.  Or kill somebody.  Attention to detail, devotion to the process in full made a shoddy stick acceptable for forty something years.

Fear of heights, yessir!  I got it.  It scared the crap outta me offshore, frequently.   The reality that I could land short and tip off, backwards or too far to the off-side from the pilot's seat...  Or walking to the edge of the deck, a hundred feet or better off the water and then down the stairwell.  I took guys new to off-shore and watched them crawl to the landing at the top of the stairs.  You can beat it, but you have to work it out of your system, exposure to and tolerance of each situation.  Never had a problem if I could grab and hold, etc., I used to climb.  But I don't do high balconies, pedestrian suspension bridges, etc., even though I was thoroughly acclimated to the decks and ladders offshore...

You just gotta want it more than you fear it.

Edited by Wally, 28 August 2019 - 09:16.

• Nearly Retired likes this

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

#46 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:42

Speaking of which...  The S-58 has the same preflight requirements as the S-55 in terms of climbing up to high places to check (and grease) the M/R head and T/R hub.  Just curious as to how you were planning on dealing with that?

Just a few minutes ago I was at the top of a ladder picking hard to reach figs from my father's fig tree.

,...and I couldn't help but think of you Bob. :D

#47 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 13:36

Butters, since when you change you avatar pic?

That's not the Butters I know.

#48 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 15:16

Butters, since when you change you avatar pic?

That's not the Butters I know.

Sorry Foot, but old butters has been defeated :(

#49 klas

klas

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 16:11

....Truth is, I don't want to drive for a living anymore, but I don't want to fly for a living anymore either, so,...?

You can always get a government job.  I work for the guvment and we are filled with people who don't really want to work or know what they want...

#50 Eric Hunt

Eric Hunt

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:56

Butters, you ain't been de-feated coz you still got 2 feat to walk out of any boss's office, if he wants to treat you like that.

I have only just found this thread, and it makes very interesting reading. I have read your posts on other threads, and you seemed to be a fat teenage kid who had the dream of being a pilot, but just stuck with being an occasional hirer for a gallop around the traps at night.

Now I see a different person. I like that person.

#51 takefootoff

takefootoff

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:46

Sorry Foot, but old butters has been defeated :(

Professor Chaos does not approve...

south-park-s06e06c02-professor-chaos-is-

Edited by takefootoff, 09 October 2019 - 11:47.

• r22butters likes this

#52 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:09

Butters, you ain't been de-feated coz you still got 2 feat to walk out of any boss's office, if he wants to treat you like that.

Sure, I walked out. Thing is, as much an a**hole as Freddy is, there are around a dozen entry level guys willing to, "suck it up and bear through,.." his bullshit season after season after season.

So what does that really say about me,...?
:(

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

Guidance Home 200BLR 200LakeSuperior200MaunaLoaVRHome200Spectrum_VRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeGenesys VR Forum 200PrecisionVRForumHome200FreeFlight_Home200