We routinely use the 28V lithium Start Pac for Jet Ranger starts. It is not an emergency "start stick." It is about the size of a tool box with a power cable on a cart. It is capable of multiple starts without recharging. It could be carried in the aircraft if needed but ours stays at base.

Myself along with several friends and companies in HEMS and fire/utility have moved to using the StartStick, very well built, 10 lbs. and very compact, no cables, has a nice digital readout on it showing charge level, will give several starts without recharging - using it on 407, EC130T2, 109, 429 and 205's. Allows flying to scene calls or PR flights, or elevated hospital helipads with much less concern of being stranded or terrible embarrassment to the program of not being able to launch from a scene with a patient. You can rig with cable provided to 28v aux so that the unit can be on a trickle in cargo hold, also has a rapid recharger feature, its a great needed step forward and hope more will use it.

We use a conventional external battery cart. Policy requires use for all starts at base, always recharging, and on the pad unless weather dictates otherwise. Dictated by maintenance management to minimize parts cost by 'reducing wear' on starter/generator. There are unintended consequences of the SOP...

Do you recharge your 'start stick' after every use?

We use a conventional external battery cart. Policy requires use for all starts at base, always recharging, and on the pad unless weather dictates otherwise. Dictated by maintenance management to minimize parts cost by 'reducing wear' on starter/generator. There are unintended consequences of the SOP...

Do you recharge your 'start stick' after every use?

The theory is that by using the cart for your starts that the generator will last longer because it doesn't have to recharge the onboard battery after every start cycle?

thats the theory. The 1st start when cold is harder on the starter/battery then when starting warm.

The opposite worry would be if you have a weak battery, the start cart would cover that up. Then you wouldn't find out until you were in the field and couldn't start.

The start stick is kinda neat from what I can tell. My company was looking into them. They're about 10#'s so convient to carry in the helicopter. Supposedly they're good for 3 starts, and you can plug them in inside the cockpit if you have an outlet to recharge them while flying.

At $3kish a pop though they're a little spendy to put one in each helicopter. I think they're a good idea. I haven't used one yet tho.

So we have brought this up to our management. We would like to carry one but were told due to our Hazmat policy we were not able to carry them. Leaving my personal opinion out (which you can gather by me saying 'leaving my personal opinion out'). I'm curious what you guys have to say about that?