Is this really SVFR?

Astro

"What's the problem?!"

It's cold enough for gloves and he's wearing shorts! Come on guy you're a pilot now, time to put on the big boy pants.

I find that driving/flying gloves give a more positive, relaxed control touch when it's warm and I'm sweating.

edit

SVFR enroute? News to me. Is/was it 'legal' per Part 91 for helicopter operation? A video does not give an accurate representation of observed conditions. You can't tell what is out either side or behind, how fast or how high they are really cruising.

What IS telling to me is "slow down" and "I'm extremely uncomfortable". Abort and land the aircraft, don't weasel word your objections: If you're wrong, you might suffer repercussions, but you're intact. If you're right that the risk outweighs the reward and you allow the flight to continue...

Edited by Wally

Is this really SVFR?
Started by Astro , Yesterday, 17:49

'>https://youtu.be/w2c68irhMeA

I’m not sure what you’re really asking. The operation appears to be within Part 91 rules. You should also take a look at the pilot’s experience level and familiarity with the area in order to determine the level of decision-making or lack thereof. Note at 7:02 in the video a decision to go-back or reroute was made. What issues do you have with this operation?

SVFR is relevant to the “Special” VFR weather minimums granted a pilot via ATC clearance, as stated in the first reply above. The clearance is only valid within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport when visibility is less than 3 statute miles or the ceiling is less than1,000 feet. Outside of those lateral surface boundaries, you’re on your own and required to comply with the “Basic” VFR weather minimums of § 91.155.

In this case the minimums are in fact minimal, after departing the Oxnard class D, the class G day requirements are 1/2 statute miles’ visibility, clear of clouds.

Remember the old Part 91 rule? (Prior to April 2014) just clear of clouds, no visibility restriction.

Edited by iChris

I'm not asking anything, my title is just based off the title of the video. I just posted this because it seems like a risky flight for an R44.

Every flight is a risky flight in an R44... ;)

• Like 2

Even though the video depicts a narrow visual depiction, I can say this; after a lifelong career in this business and one that provides me with pretty good a living, if this video was a flight of mine, at my current employer, it would have been my last…….

Regardless, this video is a demonstration of why we, as a community, continue to make the same mistakes. In this case, at an early stage reinforcing the helicopter gangsta mentality which effects all of us. That is, if this flight were to end up as a statistic to the ever growing IIMC CFIT crashes, the Feds and “safety industry” would have us, and our employers, by the balls…..

• Like 1

Looks like perfect spraying weather to me.

I once flew 16hrs with 250' ceilings and 2 miles of vis. :blink:

This wasn’t a “spraying” flight….… Supposedly, it was reposition flight, meaning; no reason to push anything whatsoever -ala no revenue…..

Moreover, many, and I can say many, have flown in worse conditions than 2 and 250… Depending on operational factors, some survive, some don’t….Regardless, this is why IIMC crashes are the leading preventable accidents this industry suffers today… That is, in poor weather, if you fly with your balls instead of your brain, you’ll only have yourself to blame…… Yeah, that rimes...

Lastly, to post it on the internet is plain..... dumb.... Expect a visit from someone.....

Edited by Spike

I do not understand pushing weather in VFR aircraft. It is just a job. You can have many of those. You, however, only get one life to live. Many of us are also responsible for crew. If I make a stupid and fatal decision, I will take a minimum of 3 more people with me. Sometimes that number is 50.

• Like 2

Didn't know that.

You know when I first came across his videos I thought that maybe I was being a little too squeamish when it comes to weather, but now, I'm not so sure?

Don’t kid yourself… IIMC is no joke. Take a stand and LEARN to AVIOD IIMC. When I say learn, I mean beyond classroom theory and hangar-talk to include the egotistical maniacs who proclaim their skill like these fools. Simply put, don”t be that guy and live a happy life……..

Edited by Spike
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...