Warrant Officer Recommended Reading

Since I was Q-S at the last board, I find I have a lot of time and no real job at my current unit, but I still have to sit around Fort Bragg doing something every day.

Does anyone have recommended professional reading in preparation for commission and flight training? As an NCO I know 670-1, 7-22, etc. fairly well, but Officer-ing is a different beast I know nothing about.

Free is preferable, but I'll go buy something if it's recommended highly.

• Like 1

AR 95-1, FM 3-04.203, 3-04.240, TC 3-04.93, FM 1-230, FAA Helicopter Flying handbook, Pilot handbook of aeronautical knowledge, Instrument flying handbook...

Used to be we could tell you to order the flash cards online if you wanted get started on EPs and Limits, but since you can't really be sure whether you're getting the -67 or Lakota... don't bother. I tried to put those in a semblance of importance, without going too crazy. 95-1 is good to check out once before you go. So is .203. .240 and .93 are good to familiarize yourself with, but don't go too crazy just yet. (Though Aeromed IS (...was?) the first class you'll hit. The FAA books are free, and good to look at, but I think it's just prettier information than what's in the FMs.

Be able to diagram and talk about airflow at a hover. Define Spatial Disorientation. Hypoxia and types, stages. Self-imposed stressors. 4 different kinds of stress (and a definition of what stress is, and those 4 types). Visual and vestibular illusions. Parts of the eye, and the ear.

That's all I got at the moment.

• Like 1

This is copy/paste from a PM between myself and another member on here on stuff to study. I would personally not worry about any of it now whatsoever, but I do understand the motivation and excitement of getting selected, so here goes:

You're going to want the .203 (Fundamentals of Flight), the .240 (Instrument Flight for Army Aviators), AR 40-8 (Exogenous Factors), and the Aeromed pub...can't recall the FM number for that but if you can't find it let me know and I can get it for you.

My recommendation would be to have two goals:

First, be able to define/give a one-sentence description of key topics (will give you a list in a second). Once you have those down and can rattle those off working through your flashcards, work more on an understanding of those concepts and moving towards a one-paragraph answer for each topic. Learning starts with rote memorization, then understanding. This can be difficult for some people to grasp, but it's how flight school is taught anyway. Even if you don't understand what you're rattling off, memorize it. Then work on understanding it.

You know, this has inspired me to work on a study guide/document for flight school topics. I'll give you a shorter list here and then get to work on a comprehensive list of topics. Normally I would tell people don't worry about this stuff until you get here, but I definitely sympathize with having nothing to do in Kuwait, and I understand it keeps the motivation going strong.

Alright, to start, make flashcards of the following:

Aeromedical

Hypoxia

-definition

-types

-stages

Spatial Disorientation

-definition

-types

Fatigue

-definition

-types

Visual Illusions

Monocular Cues

Vestibular Illusions

Stress

-definition

-types

Aerodynamics

Transverse Flow

Translational Lift

Effective Translational Lift

Translating Tendency

Dissymmetry of Lift

Retreating Blade Stall

-definition

-conditions which are conducive to it

-indicators

-recovery methods

Settling w/ Power

-definition

-three requirements to get into it

-symptoms/indicators

-recovery methods

Dynamic Rollover

-definition

-factors

-three requirements

- recovery

Airspace

Types of Airspace

-dimensions

-requirements (two way radio communications? clearance? transponder?)

-cloud clearance requirements

Restricted Airspace

-types

-limitations

IFR vs VFR

Special VFR

That should give you a very good foundation. Those three big topics will never go away throughout your career. Every part of flight school will go back to these topics, and every APART you'll be asked them. The quicker you rote memorize, the quicker you'll be able to understand, and then start applying and correlating concepts.

How's that, Charyoutree? ;)

• Like 2

This is copy/paste from a PM between myself and another member on here on stuff to study. I would personally not worry about any of it now whatsoever, but I do understand the motivation and excitement of getting selected, so here goes:

You're going to want the .203 (Fundamentals of Flight), the .240 (Instrument Flight for Army Aviators), AR 40-8 (Exogenous Factors), and the Aeromed pub...can't recall the FM number for that but if you can't find it let me know and I can get it for you.

My recommendation would be to have two goals:

First, be able to define/give a one-sentence description of key topics (will give you a list in a second). Once you have those down and can rattle those off working through your flashcards, work more on an understanding of those concepts and moving towards a one-paragraph answer for each topic. Learning starts with rote memorization, then understanding. This can be difficult for some people to grasp, but it's how flight school is taught anyway. Even if you don't understand what you're rattling off, memorize it. Then work on understanding it.

You know, this has inspired me to work on a study guide/document for flight school topics. I'll give you a shorter list here and then get to work on a comprehensive list of topics. Normally I would tell people don't worry about this stuff until you get here, but I definitely sympathize with having nothing to do in Kuwait, and I understand it keeps the motivation going strong.

Alright, to start, make flashcards of the following:

Aeromedical

Hypoxia

-definition

-types

-stages

Spatial Disorientation

-definition

-types

Fatigue

-definition

-types

Visual Illusions

Monocular Cues

Vestibular Illusions

Stress

-definition

-types

Aerodynamics

Transverse Flow

Translational Lift

Effective Translational Lift

Translating Tendency

Dissymmetry of Lift

Retreating Blade Stall

-definition

-indicators

-recovery methods

Settling w/ Power

-definition

-three requirements to get into it

-symptoms/indicators

-recovery methods

Dynamic Rollover

-definition

-factors

-three requirements

- recovery

Airspace

Types of Airspace

-dimensions

-requirements (two way radio communications? clearance? transponder?)

-cloud clearance requirements

Restricted Airspace

-types

-limitations

IFR vs VFR

Special VFR

That should give you a very good foundation. Those three big topics will never go away throughout your career. Every part of flight school will go back to these topics, and every APART you'll be asked them. The quicker you rote memorize, the quicker you'll be able to understand, and then start applying and correlating concepts.

How's that, Charyoutree? ;)

Lindsey,

you never cease to provide awesomeness to this forum. I'm in the same boat as dkeate, and you can only read the FAA Heli Flying Handbook so often... Thanks!

The above posts are good information to get started on. I wouldn't worry about any of it for now and just try to relax while you still can. Although if you have to find something to do then you might as well. Maybe just get a book on a kindle or kindle app that you want to read and tell them your studying some of the stuff above :)

I've started reading this publication originally from 1950 and last revised in 1988. It is what all of the modern leadership manuals wish they could be. It's interesting, well written, and just tells it like it is. It's called "The Armed Forces Officer" and I recommend it to anyone trying to get a portrait of what an excellent Officer looks like. I wish I know about this book earlier in my career because it definitely is applicable to the NCO Corps as well.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/NAVMC%202563.pdf

• Like 3

I usually recommend that you don't front load your brain wth a bunch of academic reading prior to flight school. It usually falls on deaf ears, but you generally end up spending what would otherwise be time enjoying some freedom, studying what you're going to be given time to study anyway. Nobody ever struck gold as the Distinguished Honor Grad, got the airframe they wanted, and their #1 duty station because they knew 95-1, and 5&9 before they got to Ft Rucker.

That said, if you want some interesting reading to pave the foundation for your leadership thought process and skills, I highly recommend "Leaders Eat Last" by Simon Sinek.

https://www.amazon.com/Leaders-Eat-Last-Together-Others/dp/1591845327/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465384300&sr=8-1&keywords=leaders+eat+last

It's geared toward corporate leadership, but rooted in military culture, and has lessons that will serve you well as the warrant officer corps assumes more and more of what were traditionally commissioned officer leadership jobs. Any of you that find yourselves as W3 PLs, PCs, flight leads, etc will understand. Its one of the most applicable references I've used. I read the book, then listened to it on my iPod driving cross country.

Mike-

• Like 5

I've started reading this publication originally from 1950 and last revised in 1988. It is what all of the modern leadership manuals wish they could be. It's interesting, well written, and just tells it like it is. It's called "The Armed Forces Officer" and I recommend it to anyone trying to get a portrait of what an excellent Officer looks like. I wish I know about this book earlier in my career because it definitely is applicable to the NCO Corps as well.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/NAVMC%202563.pdf

This is part of the Phase 1 DL Course... I guess I got a head start.