So I've run into a bit of a snafu with a place to get an ATP at, and I'm looking for suggestions. Here's the problem though.

I do not have any robbie time. Period. It's my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that to be able to take a checkride in a robbie I would need 20 hours to be PIC because of the SFAR right? I would also prefer to do it in an aircraft that I have time in, ideally an Astar, 206, or 407 or something which means I really would like to only fly the actual aircraft maybe for an hour or 2 then checkride in it.

So, Does anyone know of a school that has a sim I could do the majority of my ATP prep in and then a 206 or something I could do the rest in?

Or...

How about somewhere that has a 300 that also has a sim to reduce the cost some?

Longhorn helicopters in tx has a good reputation of quick atp training. They use 300's and do it pretty quick if tou have a week to spend there. I know they do a lot. I've never been there. I just know a lot of folks in the gulf would go there to get a quick atp during their break to be eligible for ifr upgrades. Don't know about a sim though.

Longhorn helicopters in tx has a good reputation of quick atp training. They use 300's and do it pretty quick if tou have a week to spend there. I know they do a lot. I've never been there. I just know a lot of folks in the gulf would go there to get a quick atp during their break to be eligible for ifr upgrades. Don't know about a sim though.

Well that would be awesome as I'm looking for a place that I could do it on my week off. However, I just looked into them and it appears they were taken over by US Aviation Academy?? Don't know if they still can or not, but thanks for the heads up.

Going to the mother ship may not be the cheapest, but it is a predictable quantity.

I did the 206 ATP at Bell, Hurst TX. If they tell you that you could do it in a week, it will happen unless you tank it.

Grand Prairie for Astars, although all I saw were corporate and government contracted training groups on any of my visits, no individuals.

So I've run into a bit of a snafu with a place to get an ATP at, and I'm looking for suggestions. Here's the problem though.

I do not have any robbie time. Period. It's my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that to be able to take a checkride in a robbie I would need 20 hours to be PIC because of the SFAR right? I would also prefer to do it in an aircraft that I have time in, ideally an Astar, 206, or 407 or something which means I really would like to only fly the actual aircraft maybe for an hour or 2 then checkride in it.

So, Does anyone know of a school that has a sim I could do the majority of my ATP prep in and then a 206 or something I could do the rest in?

Or...

How about somewhere that has a 300 that also has a sim to reduce the cost some?

Negative. You'd only need 10 hours dual. 10 in the 22 to be PIC in the 22, or 10 in the 44 of which 5 may be in the 22 (so 5 22 and 5 44) to be PIC in the 44.

You do not need to meet any of the PIC requirements stated in SFAR 73 if you find a DPE that is willing to act as PIC during the checkride. Download the ATP PTS from FAA.gov, and study the POH for the Robinson Helicopter of choice. You can find them for free at robinsonheli.com. If Hawaii is geographically in the cards, I would recommend Mauna Loa Helicopters. They have a FlyIt FTD, R22 and R44 instrument trainers and a DPE available that regularly accommodates this exact scenario. Best of luck.

Twelve hundred hours and no Robby time? I'd stick with the 300, but if you must go Robby fly the 44 its a lot like the 206 and would be a much easier transition than the 22.

Personally I'd love to go to the Bell school,...if I could afford it!