helicopter school...the final choice

Hy Guys, after long choice just 4 school shortlisted:

Precision Air Oregon

Hillsboro Academy Oregon

Mahuna Loha Hawaii

Or

Chinook Helicopter Canada.

Any opinion or experience about these school most than welcome!

By the way...I am 43, it is too late for an Heli CPL?

Best wishes

liftman

Got my CPL at Mauna Loa, Kona, had a good time, like two of the three instructors I flew with, did my checkride with Ben he seemed like an ok dude.

As for being too old. I never thought I was, then I got a job flying tours in a 44. Surrounded by twenty-something's working twelve hours a day with no break, in the East Coast heat and humidity, doors on, no a/c, they all seemed unaffected, but I just couldn't keep up. I'm 44.

Got my CPL at Mauna Loa, Kona, had a good time, like two of the three instructors I flew with, did my checkride with Ben he seemed like an ok dude.

As for being too old. I never thought I was, then I got a job flying tours in a 44. Surrounded by twenty-something's working twelve hours a day with no break, in the East Coast heat and humidity, doors on, no a/c, they all seemed unaffected, but I just couldn't keep up. I'm 44.

43 is not too old. I was in the middle of my 13 years in the Gulf of Mexico at that age, averaging 4.5 flight hours and 100 takeoffs during the usual 14 hour day. The long, hot, no-breeze August days were the worst, especially waiting on a shadeless steel helideck with an inch or two of crunchy slimy sea gull guano covering it. Tail to the sun, I could stay in the cockpit shade, but at the end of the day I was cleaning the cabin out.

43 is not too old in and of itself, but you might consider where you'll be after you spend 2-5 years getting to what I call "journeyman" status at 1000-1500 hours PIC and widely employable. Those years building time can be an extreme challenge to a family. Even solidly employable and working full time is going to involve time away from home.

At 3000 hours or so, you could change to EMS, which is less money and flying but home at some point in the work day. And before anybody points out that many job listings require less than 3000 for HEMS, 3000 is the skinny end of the pilot experience level that makes good HEMSers.

Edited by Wally

Well 43 is not very old, I am 61 now! As for were to go to school, that is a tough call, I know Precision over in Newberg, its a good school! But I think you would be best served doing your training in an R-22/ 44 since that is most likely the airfare you are going to be able to get that first job or two in! Precision trains mostly in 300's or did back when I did some flying with them 20 years ago! I would not go to Hawaii unless you like islands, its to expensive living there and you are going to have to live there for a good 9 months! Also consider that you want to get hired on by the school you train at if you can - Hillsboro maybe the best shot at that! You should be making note of every low time job posted right now, so that when you have your certificates and ratings, you have at least a list of were to look! Most low time jobs that are being filled now will be open again in 12 to 18 months down the road. It's all dependent on how good or bad the economy is doing- with oil prices were they are, the Oil Field Work slow, a lot of helicopters and Pilots service the GOM. You got time, how much well that more dependent on you, and if you end up with health issues going forward- thing that use to ground pilots 20 years ago don't anymore and with an aging population you could end up flying well into your 70's, the 20 year olds don't like hearing that, but you don't say in your 20's forever! From an exchange rates, Canada might be a good bet to keep your cost down, how it will effect your career, I would not know, but they are first rate when it comes to Mountain flying and that might be worth it.

I began my helicopter training in the summer of 2014 at age 48. I trained at Leading Edge Aviation in Bend, Oregon. Now I am flying SIC in an S-61, and giving R-44 flight instruction on the side. You are not too old Liftman!

Yeah I guess I should mention that I was only in Hawaii for my two weeks vacation, plus my parents had a time-share there they let me use. The instructors I met were living together and driving scooters to work.

Precision has that Cabri I'd love to check out. Unfortunately the bastards had moved it to a far off location last time I was up there. :(

By the way, I may feel too old to keep up with twenty-something's in a crappy tour job, but I did just do 105 pushups and 150 jumping jacks, so I'm not quite ready for the grave just yet. :D

Edited by r22butters

I did my training at chinook. Great instructors even better aircraft. The bell 47 is amazing to learn on. Forgiving when it needs to be, but still underpowered so you have to learn power management. The area of bc is great lots of random places to land in confined areas and only a few minutes from the mountains. There is also r44 and the 206 if you prefer a different aircraft. Pm me if you have any specific questions

While being concerned about a job is prudent thinking do not let it interfere with your training. You are there to be a student first and foremost. Be a decent human being and know your stuff forwards backwards and sideways and the job will take care of itself. So, again - while a student be a student.

I totally agree to Jaybee, as a student, be a student! But work hard, study and know your stuff then a cfi job in the us shouldn't be a problem at all!

I did parts of my training at MLH and can recomend it.

Also trainig on Robis may have its pros and cons, but it is very likely that your first job and probably your first 500 - 1000h gonna be in a R22 and/or R44, so why not also train in it?