The price of being a pilot?

So I spend about $300 bucks a month renting a 22, which is roughly a car payment plus insurance. I have no kids though, so I was wondering...

What's the monthly rate on kid ownership these days?

• Like 1

A lot more then $300 a month...daycare alone can be $500 per kid...

I believe I read estimates of a quarter million dollars average from start to completion. But "...past performance does not necessarily predict future results.". My current project is going to exceed that estimate considerably. What is gained is priceless. You can't buy or even rent kids where I live....

I believe I read estimates of a quarter million dollars average from start to completion. But "...past performance does not necessarily predict future results.". My current project is going to exceed that estimate considerably. What is gained is priceless. You can't buy or even rent kids where I live....

If it was legal I would rent mine out! At least until they are out of the "terrible" stage!

Still don't get it?

Are you being paid to fly? If not, you are an amateur. That's just a fact, like me being fat, bald and old.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/amateur

"am·a·teur (ăm′ə-tûr′, -tər, -cho͝or′, -chər, -tyo͝or′)
n.
1. One who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity
as a pastime rather than as a profession."
Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

If it was legal I would rent mine out! At least until they are out of the "terrible" stage!

Mark Twain once remarked that when a boy is born, he should be placed in a barrel. When he turns eight, one should nail a lid on the barrel and drill air holes, he said. When the boy turns thirteen, one should plug up the air holes.

The "terrible" stage doesn't necessarily end, and out of the house isn't always a permanent state.

Mark Twain once remarked that when a boy is born, he should be placed in a barrel. When he turns eight, one should nail a lid on the barrel and drill air holes, he said. When the boy turns thirteen, one should plug up the air holes.

The "terrible" stage doesn't necessarily end, and out of the house isn't always a permanent state.

That's pretty weird, even for avbug.

• Like 1

Are you being paid to fly? If not, you are an amateur. That's just a fact, like me being fat, bald and old.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/amateur

"am·a·teur (ăm′ə-tûr′, -tər, -cho͝or′, -chər, -tyo͝or′)

n.

1. One who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity

as a pastime rather than as a profession."

Actually the part I don't get is the "SFH", "Self-Fly Hire" thing? Is this some kind of military code thing or what not?

Besides recreational pilots don't need to go to a bar. Bars are for escaping the drudgery of life and family,...and we renters/owners have recreational flying for that! :D

• Like 1

Obviously you don't get it. The previous posters were trying to play nice(ly).

The real cost of being a pilot, that is, one who pays the price to make a living at it (as opposed to a token hour here or there for fun), is a world apart from the three hundred bucks you pay to rent for an hour or so.

The real cost of flying for a living is your life. If you spend three hundred dollars and are satisfied and happy and fulfilled, then by all means, that's your cost to be an occasional aviator, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Those who do choose to pursue and maintain the path as a pilot may see an entirely different price that makes three hundred bucks look like a drop in the bucket.

• Like 3

Butters asks:

Actually the part I don't get is the "SFH", "Self-Fly Hire" thing? Is this some kind of military code thing or what not?

Definitely not military code - we had no reason to ever rent an aircraft, and we only flew when we were paid to. No Amateurs.

SFH is just shortening words, FFS. Makes me LMFAO, IMHO.

For the reading comprehension challenged, the title is "The price of being a pilot", not the price of being a professional pilot!

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 1

For the reading comprehension challenged, the title is "The price of being a pilot", not the price of being a professional pilot!

The price of being a pilot, if a paltry 300 a month, is nothing. Not worth mentioning. If you think flying for fun is expensive, try doing it for a living.

• Like 2

The price of being a pilot, if a paltry 300 a month, is nothing. Not worth mentioning. If you think flying for fun is expensive, try doing it for a living.

The actual question in this thread was about the monthly cost of raising a kid. I really couldn't give a rats ass what you pay someone to fly a 747!