New CFI with accident

Pilot38!

so heres the rub,

I'm a new CFII and with my first student on takeoff he overtook my controls and put in a hard left input and we rolled the helicopter. we were in a 44 and we were not injured and for that I am grateful. In the wake of the accident I come to realize that the flight school I went to that hired me after finishing my certs has an insurance police that I don't have enough hours to work under. After two months I took my chances and left to look for a new job realizing that getting those hours was going to be difficult without instructing. So my question is how difficult will it be to find a new school to get on with having had an accident? any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated. Now I have learned a lot and am going to change some things that I did wrong but in my search so far I have been told more than a few times that people had jobs available if I had an airplane CFi certificate. So second question if i can manage to find a way to do the add on would that be a better option than traveling the country looking for a helicopter cfi position (would it make me more marketable?)? I know this isn't an email and phone call business so id be taking a lengthy trip but if there are more jobs with airplanes would that be a better option or do I have a descent chance finding a helicopter job as i stand? I'm around the mid 200 hour dance all in robes and any help is appreciated!

I met a commercial student once who had an overspeed on takeoff. Never saw that chopper again and he wasn't hired on after getting his Cfi.

This was several years ago. He is now dual rated and part owner of a relatively large school teaching in both.

Well, the fact that you have all Robinson time, 200 hours AND a CFII, you have options and you can certainly pick up a job somewhere else.

I think if a potential employer asks about why you left and/or have been fired, just be straight forward with them. Tell them about the accident and how it came to be, as well as how much of a learning experience it was for you, what you learned from it, etc. Being able to take away from an incident like that to make you a better person / pilot / instructor could show dividends to a potential employer. Its definitely not the end of your flying career, so don't worry about that. Someone will give you a chance. Phone around, check the job boards, and hit social media.

• Like 3

What i am curious about is,: Since you were not covered, and the helicopter was wrecked, who paid for the damage?

Unfortunately the aircraft wasn't covered and the operator took the hit for that one. Had I been made aware of the insurance policy requirements I wouldn't have flown the aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After two months I took my chances and left to look for a new job realizing that getting those hours was going to be difficult without instructing.

Was that the R44 rollover in Las Vegas last June (NTSB Report)? If so, the NTSB ruled the case was the pilot receiving instructions incorrect action of interfering with the flight controls. Don’t over react and move on.

In the wake of the accident I come to realize that the flight school I went to that hired me after finishing my certs has an insurance police that I don't have enough hours to work under.

Unfortunately the aircraft wasn't covered and the operator took the hit for that one. Had I been made aware of the insurance policy requirements I wouldn't have flown the aircraft.

Again, that’s not on you. It was their duty to properly vet your background before hiring. Bet is, it was a higher-time R44 and they weren’t carrying hull insurance in the first place. Hard to believe "they" didn’t realize your lack of flight time with respect to their insurance policy.

Edited by iChris

• 2 weeks later...

On the first-ever trial instructional flight, the prospective student tried to hover, went left rear and down, dug in the heel and rolled it over. The instructor lost his job, the student stayed inspired, qualified, stayed on in that business as an instructor, and now owns the company, the biggest in the state.

Tough bickies for the instructor, who was a navy pilot on a day off. Turns out to have been a VERY off day.