SIFT - Tested 8/26/16

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Been following this a forum a while. I myself am a civilian WOFT applicant. 20, big military family, 1 year of ROTC at wku (got married, left on good terms, loved it though). Been pursuing WOFT since about Nov 2016. Just got back from finishing my SIFT Test and i thought id add in my 2 cents. This post was very helpful and accurate already, just going to provide my input.

The test is half visual/image questions and half regular standardized test questions, like the ASVAB. Ill go over the visual sections in more detail (from my personal experience of course.) I scored a 73 overall. My GT was 134 as well.

Simple Drawings - 2 minutes is plenty. Very low stress. 5 figures in a row, in the center of the screen, pick the odd one out. Images can be anything from circles, arrows, numbers, clocks, or shaded blobs, etc. This is easy.

Hidden Figures - hardest section for me. Difficult to study for because study guides images arent the same, but they will familiarize you with the concept. 5 options, different image to find them in. Didnt get the hang of it until like question 6-7 once my brain could remember the options without having to constantly look at them. Dont focus on tiny details in the image, look/think more big picture. The options may change size in relation to the image, but no other changes. SIFT images are definitely less "spaghetti-like" but hides them cleverly. Straight lines, no curves. Options "changed" after question 25, but only their order and the way they were rotated. Theres one in there somewhere i promise lol. Overall dont stress too much on this section. I only answered 38/50, and got maybe 8-10 wrong based on feel. Just keep the time in mind and answer as many as you can.

Spatial Apperception - very easy once you understand what your looking for. Which is (1) where the plane is facing (to sea, land, towards you, away from you, or diagonal) (2) is it banking(turning)? Yes? Left, or right, and how severe. No? Flying level. Is the horizon tilted right? You're going left. And vice versa (3) is the plane ascending? Or descending? Or level? Equal sky to land/sea its level, more sky = ascending, less sky = descending. Put these all together and Pick the option that fits. This requires some spatial common sense, so for most this shouldnt be difficult.

AAIT (not a visual section, but important) - Basic helicopter knowledge. Controls, airframes and their roles, scientific principles of flight, specificaly relating to a helicopter and its rotors/blades, more aerodynamics stuff, more helicopter stuff. The more you familiarize yourself with a helicopter, the better you'll do. My study guide helped, as well as the faa helicopter handbook, and youtube videos, specifically helitrainingvids early videos about principles of flight/controls. Im sure there are other even better videos out there, his are just what i watched. I wish i could've found Army Aviation specific ones, but i couldn't, but please let everyone know if you do.

Im naturally intelligent, and a good test taker, so I get the hang of just about everything if given enough time/study. If you have any specific questions just let me know i'd be glad to help if im able.

Here is the study guide i got. It was decently helpful with preparing for the test: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-SIFT-Study-Guide-Preparation/dp/1539592669

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

FYI I also used the AFOQT and ASTB for practice where applicable. There are free online versions of these tests with explanations for each section available here. http://www.petersonspublishing.com/OfficerCandidate/

It's most useful for math and mechanical knowledge, though the reading comp is decent too. The ASTB does a decent job with the spacial aperception. I took these, in addition to having thoroughly read the FAA rotory wing book, and a "SIFT Study Guide" prior to the test and managed a 75.

Be forewarned that even though I normally found the spacial aperception to be easy when practicing, the image quality on some of the SIFT is laughably terrible, and this made it much more difficult.

Best of luck,

Mike

• Like 1