34 replies to this topic

#21 Flylo Ren

Flylo Ren

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 18:38

Picked up the Accepted Inc. SIFT study guide today. Would it be worth the extra money for the other study guide listed above? Does it have any more information in it?

#22 jaswhee

jaswhee

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Beer, food, soccer, casual gaming, the gym, travel.
  • Company working for:Boeing, Illinois Army National Guard. Former USAF - ILANG

Posted 31 October 2016 - 19:41

Honestly I'm not so sure. It is a better book in my opinion (the other one). However, the real take away is knowing what the different sections are and focusing on your weak areas. Additional study needs to be accomplished with the Helicopter Flying Handbook, maybe YouTube or Khan Academy if you are weak with math. From what I understand the majority of your score is going to be Reading Comprehension, Math, and Mechanical (Basic Physics). I honestly think people psych themselves out more than anything. A lot of the people I've talked to that were freaking out did pretty well. 

#23 Flylo Ren

Flylo Ren

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 21:44

Alright, I still have my handbook from flight school. I'm not horribly worried about it, then again this is pretty much my last shot so I want to do every single thing I can. Otherwise I'll kick myself later. I won't have many college courses either since I only go to school part time, so I'm hoping to make up for that with ASVAB, SIFT, and APFT scores. Thanks for all the help jaswhee!
  • jaswhee likes this

#24 jaswhee

jaswhee

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 23:25

Yeah, don't position yourself for regret. Nothing good comes from that. Well, at least you are enrolled in College just make sure you do well. I've heard of people getting selected who scored in the 40s on their SIFT. Average is 50 and last I checked the average score for selection was like 59. But again, people with barely passing scores still can get in. Just do everything you can to max all of your scores. Good luck sir!

#25 Shindigg

Shindigg

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I like push ups, spending time with my mom an grandpa i love them alot and video games primarily call of duty because it helps me prepare for real gun battles. I'm going to be a pilot like my uncle randy who is the coolest guy with an even cooler mustash im ridin into the danger zone GO USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:45

Good score man mine was 71 but i cant pass fisical fitness test so i am doing push ups like a mad man and my grandpa says your score is good so be true to yourself and fly like an eagle go america go usa 

9aff22998210241ae6425ca2e5f714c3.jpg

#26 Flylo Ren

Flylo Ren

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 18:29

Thanks!

#27 dlogan17

dlogan17

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:WOFT and more WOFT

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:15

When do you get your SIFT score? Is it provided as soon as you finish the test, or do you find out at a later time?

#28 Tstroh10

Tstroh10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:24

Not 100% sure but I know when I took mine the score was provided on the screen as soon as I finished.

• dlogan17 likes this

#29 ElJay

ElJay

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:48

It is shown at the completion of the test. Try not to get your tears on the keyboard like I did.
  • choppereng, dlogan17 and Tstroh10 like this

#30 choppereng

choppereng

ATP Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:49

Mine was given to me on a piece of paper immediately after the test. I can't remember if it showed up on the screen too. You don't have to wait for it to be graded or anything.

• dlogan17 likes this

#31 Dmurray

Dmurray

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Boards, Slow Subarus
  • Company working for:United States Army

Posted 22 December 2016 - 13:30

It should have been on the last screen of the test.
  • dlogan17 likes this

#32 jaswhee

jaswhee

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 00:46

Mine was on the last screen of the test. You also get an official print out with your test score.

• dlogan17 likes this

#33 chiggins8

chiggins8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:25

Hello all,

Been following this a forum a while. I myself am a civilian WOFT applicant. 20, big military family, 1 year of ROTC at wku (got married, left on good terms, loved it though). Been pursuing WOFT since about Nov 2016. Just got back from finishing my SIFT Test and i thought id add in my 2 cents. This post was very helpful and accurate already, just going to provide my input.

The test is half visual/image questions and half regular standardized test questions, like the ASVAB. Ill go over the visual sections in more detail (from my personal experience of course.) I scored a 73 overall. My GT was 134 as well.

Simple Drawings - 2 minutes is plenty. Very low stress. 5 figures in a row, in the center of the screen, pick the odd one out. Images can be anything from circles, arrows, numbers, clocks, or shaded blobs, etc. This is easy.

Hidden Figures - hardest section for me. Difficult to study for because study guides images arent the same, but they will familiarize you with the concept. 5 options, different image to find them in. Didnt get the hang of it until like question 6-7 once my brain could remember the options without having to constantly look at them. Dont focus on tiny details in the image, look/think more big picture. The options may change size in relation to the image, but no other changes. SIFT images are definitely less "spaghetti-like" but hides them cleverly. Straight lines, no curves. Options "changed" after question 25, but only their order and the way they were rotated. Theres one in there somewhere i promise lol. Overall dont stress too much on this section. I only answered 38/50, and got maybe 8-10 wrong based on feel. Just keep the time in mind and answer as many as you can.

Spatial Apperception - very easy once you understand what your looking for. Which is (1) where the plane is facing (to sea, land, towards you, away from you, or diagonal) (2) is it banking(turning)? Yes? Left, or right, and how severe. No? Flying level. Is the horizon tilted right? You're going left. And vice versa (3) is the plane ascending? Or descending? Or level? Equal sky to land/sea its level, more sky = ascending, less sky = descending. Put these all together and Pick the option that fits. This requires some spatial common sense, so for most this shouldnt be difficult.

AAIT (not a visual section, but important) - Basic helicopter knowledge. Controls, airframes and their roles, scientific principles of flight, specificaly relating to a helicopter and its rotors/blades, more aerodynamics stuff, more helicopter stuff. The more you familiarize yourself with a helicopter, the better you'll do. My study guide helped, as well as the faa helicopter handbook, and youtube videos, specifically helitrainingvids early videos about principles of flight/controls. Im sure there are other even better videos out there, his are just what i watched. I wish i could've found Army Aviation specific ones, but i couldn't, but please let everyone know if you do.

Im naturally intelligent, and a good test taker, so I get the hang of just about everything if given enough time/study. If you have any specific questions just let me know i'd be glad to help if im able.

Here is the study guide i got. It was decently helpful with preparing for the test: https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/1539592669
  • jaswhee likes this

#34 Marty86

Marty86

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:33

For anyone interested, Pearson's 7th Edition and 8th edition are identical for the AFAST. As of the 8th ed. they had not changed over to the SIFT yet.

#35 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:01

FYI I also used the AFOQT and ASTB for practice where applicable. There are free online versions of these tests with explanations for each section available here. http://www.petersons...ficerCandidate/

It's most useful for math and mechanical knowledge, though the reading comp is decent too. The ASTB does a decent job with the spacial aperception. I took these, in addition to having thoroughly read the FAA rotory wing book, and a "SIFT Study Guide" prior to the test and managed a 75. 

Be forewarned that even though I normally found the spacial aperception to be easy when practicing, the image quality on some of the SIFT is laughably terrible, and this made it much more difficult. 

Best of luck,

Mike

• PhrogGuy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeAble_VRHOme200Genesys VR Forum 200NFCVRForum200HomeDevoreHome200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200Helmet FX Home 200Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016