Hi- I'm new to this forum, I was looking for any army aviation forum but I guess this is the closest thing to it. I emailed an Army recruiter on the statistics for High school applicants to WOCS. Surprisingly I got an answer:

"Based on the latest WOFT board, to be competitive for selection you should have at least GT Score (part of the ASVAB test) of 123 or higher, Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) score of 260 or higher, GPA 2.8 or higher, SIFT Score of 59 or higher and your letters need to be from key/influential people who actually know you. There were 51 total applicants. 50 were selected and 1 were not. 26 selected as HS Graduate, 6 had an Associate's degree, 18 had a Bachelor's Degree and 0 had a Master's Degree"

Woah, these numbers make absolutely no sense. Is the guy talking about Illinois applicants, or something? Because both the number of people applying and the number of high school-to-flightschool selectees is magical. I was told that almost no highschoolers ever make it.

Anybody care to enlighten me?

Regarding the 26 selected as HS graduates, that doesn't necessarily mean they fall into the "from high school to flight school" category. For example, they could all be 32 year olds with prior military service and civilian pilot certificates now falling under the civilian WOFT application process, yet the highest level of education they completed was high school. From my understanding, very few people these days manage to truly go straight from high school to flight school, although we do have at least one on VR (Tesla).

• Like 1

Hi- I'm new to this forum, I was looking for any army aviation forum but I guess this is the closest thing to it. I emailed an Army recruiter on the statistics for High school applicants to WOCS. Surprisingly I got an answer:

"Based on the latest WOFT board, to be competitive for selection you should have at least GT Score (part of the ASVAB test) of 123 or higher, Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) score of 260 or higher, GPA 2.8 or higher, SIFT Score of 59 or higher and your letters need to be from key/influential people who actually know you. There were 51 total applicants. 50 were selected and 1 were not. 26 selected as HS Graduate, 6 had an Associate's degree, 18 had a Bachelor's Degree and 0 had a Master's Degree"

Woah, these numbers make absolutely no sense. Is the guy talking about Illinois applicants, or something? Because both the number of people applying and the number of high school-to-flightschool selectees is magical. I was told that almost no highschoolers ever make it.

Anybody care to enlighten me?

Nah, that sounds right. I applied as street to seat since I was going for an active duty slot as a National Guardsman. Something like 30 people were selected out of 34.

It isn't always like that, though.

Where in Illinois are you from?

I'm at WOCS currently as a street to seater. Got here beginning of August and on holdover status now. I know there were two our of 11 guys from my company in BCT that were straight out of high school. Just gotta be on top of your stuff and not act like you're straight out of high school...

Security hold or just on a bubble?

Apply through this guy. The fact that he knows all of that already is incredibly rare in my experience. 95% of the recruiters out there will tell you "it's incredibly competitive and you won't get picked up" before knowing anything about you.

This

Im shocked the guy even did the research. Usually they would wait 15 minutes, then email you back saying something like, "Yeah, I just got off the phone with command, they said that unless you already own a personal helicopter and can bring it with you to flight school, you have no chance of getting selected, they don't have enough to go around these days with budget cuts."

• Like 4

Nah, that sounds right. I applied as street to seat since I was going for an active duty slot as a National Guardsman. Something like 30 people were selected out of 34.

It isn't always like that, though.

Where in Illinois are you from?

I'm from Skokie.

Regarding the 26 selected as HS graduates, that doesn't necessarily mean they fall into the "from high school to flight school" category. For example, they could all be 32 year olds with prior military service and civilian pilot certificates now falling under the civilian WOFT application process, yet the highest level of education they completed was high school. From my understanding, very few people these days manage to truly go straight from high school to flight school, although we do have at least one on VR (Tesla).

Yea this totally makes sense. I didn't realize 'Highschool grads' just meant you got your diploma at one point.

Yea, those numbers are correct. The first time I heard about how many people actually went to the board I thought it was just for my local area but it was nation wide. Not a lot of people know about WOFT. Also, putting a packet together weeds out a lot of people because its a long, time consuming process. Best of luck though.

Just do the packet. I know of multiple people who will be turning 21 in flight school and some that wont until after they leave. They had no to very little experience, and have actually beaten the hell out of the OML repeatedly and selecting at the top of the class. Nothing special, nothing crazy stats wise, don't let anyone tell you you need anything else. If nothing more complete the packet and get denied twice before you do anything else, and then apply again as soon as you can.