Hey,

I am a highschool applicant in my junior year of schooling. I'm looking to apply in my senior year for WOFT. My parents, however, are extremely strict and won't accept anything to do with the military. While advice on how to convince them is appreciated, I know they won't ever budge on the issue, trust me I've tried for at least the past year.

If it comes down to it, I will go against their will and apply. The real question is, is parental consent required to complete the application?

I know the answer seems like an obvious yes, but I was hoping there would be some kind of loophole.

Another thing to consider would be my age by the time I apply. I would turn 18 in January 3rd, towards the end of my senior year. Can I apply around then, in time to accept college apps in case I get denied?

Thanks before hand.

The good thing is you are young and have plenty of time to get this done. Even if you apply and don't get in, you can keep improving your application and reapply every year for more than a dozen years.

When I was your age I applied to West Point, but didn't make it past the recommendation board primarily because i bombed the fitness test. I could barely do 25 push-ups. My father was the one pushing me the most through the application process. However, he is the personality type that he gets all excited about one thing, then when any hint of adversity comes up he panics and quits. So when I didn't get in, he pushed me heavily to give up on it because I was obviously a failure in this endeavor, and I made the mistake of listening to him. What he should have told me, or really what I should have told myself, was, "workout every day and apply again next year."

I didn't consider the military again until many years later when I became interested in WOFT. Once again my father got all excited about it at first, but then when anything went wrong or got delayed, he was calling me telling me to give up. This time I did things my own way and only took advice from the people here, and I got in.

Though I wouldn't recommend anyone doing what I did and wait until they are 30 before applying to WOFT. By that time you are getting close to the age deadline, you don't have years to improve your education, or your resume, or get flight hours or credentials. In your case, you could comfortably get a few years of college under your belt and keep applying without any stress.

• Like 1

On your 18th birthday you no longer require your parent's consent on anything. I'm not too sure about what's available to you before that. You could certainly start getting the paperwork together, LORs, etc. before you turn 18. If you wait on all that until you turn 18, you can expect the whole process to take months. Heck, you can probably expect it to take months regardless, which leads to the next issue:

If I recall correctly, most college applications close the last week of December or the first week of January. You'll probably have a few months after that to accept any offers you get. In order to crank out a WOFT application and get boarded after your 18th birthday but before that due date, you're going to have to be pretty sporty about things after your birthday. Like I said, it could be a good idea to start getting your wickets in order before your birthday.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Follow the others advice. Once you're 18 you don't need the parents consent. Do you know why they don't want you to join so bad? Are they just worried about their baby boy/girl? That's understandable but I would still support my kids dream if that was the case.

Follow the others advice. Once you're 18 you don't need the parents consent. Do you know why they don't want you to join so bad? Are they just worried about their baby boy/girl? That's understandable but I would still support my kids dream if that was the case.

I understand I don't need consent after 18. The problem comes if the WOFT results come out after I have to make a college decision. In that scenario I would have to pick college because of the risk I don't make WOFT. Its WOFT or college for me, direct enlistment is not something I'm not necessarily interested in. If I did do college however, I would try to do rotc/nrotc and commission as an officer.

With my parents, It's a combination of things. Obviously they are worried about my wellbeing, but there are more idealogical reasons. My family and I are muslim, and a lot of our foreign policy involves muslim countries in which muslims are being killed as collateral damage, or their governments and countries ruined as a result of US interventionism. While I recognize this, I think it's important for me to be representative of my own faith especially against the characterization of us post 9-11, and I also hope that our focus in that area eventually transitions elsewhere.

Didn't mean to get that deep, but its the truth.

• Like 1

Go to college. You can still do WOFT afterward. It will make you infinitely more employable should your plans change or should something happen, and at the same time, it will make you more competitive for WOFT.

Plus, the social experiences that come with college are invaluable, and I'm not quite sure you get that going in straight out.

Plus, the social experiences that come with college are invaluable, and I'm not quite sure you get that going in straight out.

I definitely agree with that. College is a great experience though unfortunately it often leaves people in a sizeable amount of debt.

Also, just because you've accepted admission to a college before getting the results from your WOFT board doesn't mean you couldn't rescind that acceptance if the board picks you up. People rescind their acceptances all the time. Maybe you don't like the idea of agreeing to go to a certain college and then cancelling on them, but this is your life we're talking about; you're not going to hurt their feelings.

• Like 1

I see both sides of the argument, but seriously, if you have a scholarship or financial aid, go to college. Even if you don't, in-state tuition can be very affordable, and you don't need to accumulate buckets of debt.

You'll want to be in college at the age of your peers. Going through WOCS and flight training at an age older than your peers (and I speak purely speculatively) probably doesn't matter, and if anything, helps. At this point you're a mature adult and understand yourself well enough to be successful.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you really want to do. Being as young as you are, you should definitely apply for college. That doesn't mean that you can't apply for WOFT when you're 18.

At least, with your college and scholarship applications, you have a plan to continue educating yourself if you don't get selected. Push that application through and if you don't get selected, try again.

• Like 3

I second what Dmurray said. You should apply for colleges regardless. Worst case if you don't get picked up for WOFT before college decisions are due then you could accept a college's offer and then rescind it if you got picked up by the WOFT Board, or if that's still not enough time you could defer your matriculation for a year and do your WOFT Board then (or be boarded for the second time, if that's the case). Then you still have the fallback position of starting college the following year if you don't get picked up twice around and you won't have the hassle of reapplying to schools (unless you're not happy with where you deferred and want to apply or reapply to some other schools).

• Like 1

Say I did make WOFT, would I be that different from others attending there? Obviously there is going to be at least an age gap of 5 years, but in terms of my performance, leadership skills, and abilities to socialize with others, am I at that big of a disadvantage, or can I muscle through it?

I just don't want to be one of those guys that got in because the board was feeling lenient, only to perform at the bottom of the class and be that guy no one talks to.

You will be at a slight disadvantage socially. Most of the candidates will have some military experience and/ or college.

Something to think about though, if you plan on making the Army a career and pushing out to retirement, you will have to make CW4. At this point in time at least some college is required to make that rank due to the competitive nature of the boards. It is recommended a bachelor degree at least.

You can go to school while in the Army, but it is difficult and you are at the mercy of operational demands. If you take at least a few semesters worth of college you will gain that social experience and be well on your way to a degree. You may also be out of the direct influence of your parents making it easier to complete the application.

Besides, college is a blast!!!

• Like 1

Besides, college is a blast!!!

Well, didn't really do well or really like high school, I'm worried college is going to be worse. GPA is fine at a 3.49, definitely nothing exceptional. ACT is currently a 30. Clubs- Mock Trial, Student association, starting an armed forces club.

I'm also not a social or outgoing, extroverted type of person, and I found HS to be really socially strainful on me. 4 years of college seems like hell.

Well, didn't really do well or really like high school, I'm worried college is going to be worse. GPA is fine at a 3.49, definitely nothing exceptional. ACT is currently a 30. Clubs- Mock Trial, Student association, starting an armed forces club.

I'm also not a social or outgoing, extroverted type of person, and I found HS to be really socially strainful on me. 4 years of college seems like hell.

I'm literally on the same boat as you bro. You can check out the 'WOFT Packet Timeline' topic I started 2 weeks ago. I'm also a junior in HS, who generally hates it, and would rather deal with the problems of going to WOFT early.

My birthday is even 7 days away from yours, which means we are probably applying at the same time.

Good luck. You don't have to choose one or the other now. Apply to both colleges and WOFT. If you get into a college you really like, accept, and like chopper said - you can just rescind it if you get into WOFT.

If you get in, great, if you don't, you have college as plan B.

Mendacio and ArcMeechy,

If you were having a hard time in high school I can almost guarantee you will have difficulties in the Army. You need to develop some thick skin. You're going to be stressed and your feelings will probably get hurt. That's how it goes.

That being said, if WOFT is something you really want to do then you better be prepared to work your ass off. Do whatever it takes to get that application completed.

If college is something you don't want to do, try enlistment. You can gain a lot of knowledge and experience from being enlisted. You're both very young so you have time on your side.

Set your goal, make a plan, and complete each step. Even a small victory is still forward progress. If you continue to work toward your goal, your dream will be real. I promise. Don't ever let anyone tell you you cannot do something.

• Like 2

I had a few years out of high school before I came into the Army. I would not trade those years for anything, including doing WOFT earlier than I did. Go to college, enjoy your time, and if WOFT is still what you want to do afterwards then do it. Army Aviation will be here, and you're going to devote ten years to it either way. Enjoy being a young man in college because you will never have that chance again, whereas the Army is the same experience no matter what your age.

• Like 1

I have a young man, whom just turned 20 yrs old in the 47 course with me. He came straight from HS, gets picked on a bit(mainly by instructors, playfully) but has thick skin as well. Finished 1st in his common core class as well.

I was gonna mention him too, I went through WOCS with him. Great guy.

It's absolutely possible to be successful through WOFT even with the age difference, but as Dmurray said, it takes thick skin. You're going to be in an environment where you're surrounded by type-A personalities, many of whom have several years of experience in the Army already.

That said, it's not inexperience that will make you have a bad time here - it's a lack of willingness to learn and to accept criticism. The ability to recognize what you don't know and then seek out help is your most important asset going through WOFT.

• 4 weeks later...

Start working on your LOR's and everything else that you can prior to your 18th birthday. I believe that you won't be able to complete your physical unless your have your parents consent form filled out. So if you have your packet mostly completed and then just have to physical it will make your life easier, as well as easier to just hand everything over to your recruiter and get your packet in at the first available board. Honestly it's going to come down to what you want to do, if you want to go out on a date with someone do you have to ask your parents permission first. Eventually you are going to have to step out on your own, make your own path and possibly stumble. If they want to be there for you good, if they don't then that is their loss. You have to remember that no one is going to take care of you like you do, so live your life and start pursuing what you have a passion for.

Hey,

I am a highschool applicant in my junior year of schooling. I'm looking to apply in my senior year for WOFT. My parents, however, are extremely strict and won't accept anything to do with the military. While advice on how to convince them is appreciated, I know they won't ever budge on the issue, trust me I've tried for at least the past year.

If it comes down to it, I will go against their will and apply. The real question is, is parental consent required to complete the application?

I know the answer seems like an obvious yes, but I was hoping there would be some kind of loophole.

Another thing to consider would be my age by the time I apply. I would turn 18 in January 3rd, towards the end of my senior year. Can I apply around then, in time to accept college apps in case I get denied?

Thanks before hand.

I would explain to my parents that I am going to be an Army Aviator if it's possible. I would start the process as soon as possible if I wanted to go high school to flight school directly. You might achieve that, or you may not get the slot until you have your degree. You may not ever make it, but you will have tried to live your life.

Edited by Wally

Hey do yer pushups and tell yer parents that yer're going to do what you love because life is short and my grandpa says he thinks you should do it too so theres yer ansir. Hopefully see you at fort rucker soon bro I'm doing my push ups too and getting ready for woft pilot helicopter jet school go america go usa yeah army

• Like 1